Troubleshooting ICS - WIN2KPro & XP Pro & Cable Modem

Discussion in 'MCSE' started by Joshua, Feb 19, 2004.

  1. Joshua

    Joshua Guest

    I'm trying to share my cable modem connection on my
    desktop with my new laptop. The desktop is issuing the
    labtop and IP but I can't ping the desktop or do anything
    else usefull.

    I have:

    1) Desktop PC in home office with Linksys 802.11 A/B/G card
    2) Dell laptop with Dell Truemobile 802.11 A/B/G card
    3) Cox cable modem connection that has worked fine for
    months and still does.

    I can see that the "Ad-hoc" network is established.
    They've negotiated .B, Channel 11, with "excellent signal".

    I know there is some form of communication going on
    because I can release and renew the IP on the laptop. (It
    gives out 192.168.0.100/24. The desktop was set to
    192.168.0.1/24 when I checked the box to share the cable
    connection (Network Properties, Ethernet Adapter, Sharing)

    Anyway, I admit to over-reaching the bounds of my
    experience but don't we all sometimes. If anyone could
    offer some more troubleshooting steps I appericiate it.

    Joshua
    Joshua, Feb 19, 2004

  2. Joshua

    Joshua Guest

    As with most things KISS applies. I hadn't disabled (or
    at least allowed this) through my software firewall.
    Du=ough!!
    Works like a charm now. Yiipee!

    Joshua, Feb 19, 2004