Troubleshooting Help Please

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Brian Walsh, Dec 5, 2003.

  1. Brian Walsh

    Brian Walsh Guest

    This is a problem I'm having with my roommate's computer. It's a little long
    but I wanted to list my actions step-by-step.

    My roommate recently received a free Compaq Presario 5630. The user had
    upgraded it to Windows ME and added a Memorex CD burner in addition to the
    DVD drive already installed. At first glance, I didn't notice any problems.
    We soon realized that there was no modem driver. I was unable to find one.
    My roommate also advised me of CD problems (he still hasn't specified). The
    person he received the tower from didn't know what driver to use and
    suggested the restore disk. Bad Idea. From Windows, the restore disk only
    rebooted the computer. I was able to make a boot disk and run the disk from
    DOS. I placed the disk in the DVD drive and the CD launched. Before the
    program began the process it asked me to insert the CD (which was already in
    the drive). I switched the CD to the CD-R drive. The process began, again
    asked me to insert the CD, then went to an A: prompt. I realized there was a
    CD conflict and removed the CD-R drive. I ran the process again and the
    program ran without problem. The computer rebooted and began to load Windows
    98. It failed. I was able to boot into safe mode, though. I tried the
    restore CD a few more times all with the same result. The restore CD did
    tell me the name of my modem driver so I decided to run fdisk and put in
    another version of Windows 98. I put in the Windows startup disk. I am
    unable to access any drive. I type "cd F:" and it will change to the F (CD)
    drive, hang for a few seconds, and switch back to the A: drive. It does this
    for all drives. If I reconnect the CD-R I get a message after POST, "Invalid
    system disk. Please remove the disk and restart." (that's not word for word,
    but we all know that message) I had nothing in any drives. I am now unable
    to access any drive except A: from the boot disk. With the CD-R removed I
    can still start Windows in safe mode. With the CD-R connected, I can do
    nothing. My next step was going to be to remove all CD drives and use the
    one from my computer. Before I do that I was hoping someone here might have
    some ideas. Any Thoughts? Thank you for any help you may provide.

    Brian Walsh, Dec 5, 2003

  2. Brian Walsh

    joaquino Guest

    with all that shuffling of drives, you might want to make sure your ide
    devices are jumpered properly. You can't have two ide devices jumpered

    joaquino, Dec 5, 2003

  3. Brian Walsh

    Brian Walsh Guest

    I checked that already. Unfortunately that's not the issue.

    Brian Walsh, Dec 5, 2003
  4. Brian Walsh

    mcp6453 Guest

    Brian Walsh wrote:

    > I checked that already. Unfortunately that's not the issue.

    What you need to do is remove everything except the floppy drive, hard
    drive, and video card to get the computer boot. Then add one CD or the
    other and install Windows correctly. If you cannot get that far, you
    have other, more serious problems.

    mcp6453, Dec 5, 2003
  5. Brian Walsh

    Brian Walsh Guest

    "mcp6453" <> wrote in message
    > Brian Walsh wrote:
    > >
    > > I checked that already. Unfortunately that's not the issue.

    > What you need to do is remove everything except the floppy drive, hard
    > drive, and video card to get the computer boot. Then add one CD or the
    > other and install Windows correctly. If you cannot get that far, you
    > have other, more serious problems.

    I have everything working except the CD-R. That's still a pain in the ass.

    Brian Walsh, Dec 7, 2003