troubleshooting extensions

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by StreetMedic, Mar 20, 2008.

  1. StreetMedic

    StreetMedic Guest

    Hi, all,

    Just wondered if someone could lend some insight into extensions for
    me, please.

    Firefox, lately, regularly slows to a crawl for me (regardless of where
    I'm browsing/what I'm doing) and kicks out relentless unresponsive
    script errors, every few minutes.

    So far, I'm guessing there's an extension not playing nice-nice, and
    I'm trying to systematically suss out which one is the "problem child".
    (I could actually probably stand to just get rid of a lot of them, as
    my extension load is pretty high :-D ).

    Anyway, my question is simply this:

    If you're trying to rule out an extension as a problem-causer, is it
    enough to simply "disable" it in the extensions list, or does it need to
    be completely uninstalled before it can be confidently eliminated as a
    suspect? Or, IOW, can a "disabled" extension still cause you headaches?

    Any insight/thoughts are appreciated.

    Thanks in advance,

    S-M
    StreetMedic, Mar 20, 2008

  2. StreetMedic wrote:

    > Hi, all,
    >
    > Just wondered if someone could lend some insight into extensions for
    > me, please.
    >
    > Firefox, lately, regularly slows to a crawl for me (regardless of where
    > I'm browsing/what I'm doing) and kicks out relentless unresponsive
    > script errors, every few minutes.
    >
    > So far, I'm guessing there's an extension not playing nice-nice, and
    > I'm trying to systematically suss out which one is the "problem child".
    > (I could actually probably stand to just get rid of a lot of them, as
    > my extension load is pretty high :-D ).
    >
    > Anyway, my question is simply this:
    >
    > If you're trying to rule out an extension as a problem-causer, is it
    > enough to simply "disable" it in the extensions list, or does it need to
    > be completely uninstalled before it can be confidently eliminated as a
    > suspect? Or, IOW, can a "disabled" extension still cause you headaches?
    >
    > Any insight/thoughts are appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    >
    > S-M

    disable half of the extensions. If FF works, then you know
    the problem is in the other half. Re-enable those extension
    and disable the other half. If the problem still continues,
    then disable half of the remaining ones, and keep working at
    it until you find the problem one. Yes, disabling an
    extension is similar to uninstalling it.

    Here's a list of so-called problematic extensions:
    http://kb.mozillazine.org/Problematic_extensions

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm
    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Mar 21, 2008

  3. StreetMedic

    StreetMedic Guest

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

    > disable half of the extensions. If FF works, then you know the problem
    > is in the other half. Re-enable those extension and disable the other
    > half. If the problem still continues, then disable half of the
    > remaining ones, and keep working at it until you find the problem one.
    > Yes, disabling an extension is similar to uninstalling it.
    >
    > Here's a list of so-called problematic extensions:
    > http://kb.mozillazine.org/Problematic_extensions

    Great info, PPtPH.

    Thanks much.

    Working on it now.