    turned sound back on in bios and reinstalled sound off original disc.
    Still the same. No sound.

    Any ideas?

    cowboyz, Jan 21, 2006

  2. cowboyz

    Krazy Bob Guest

    "cowboyz" <> wrote in message
    news:dqshf1$sg2$...
    > Asus A7S8X-MX board
    >
    > Onboard ADI AD1888 soundMax 6 channel with S/PDIF out
    >
    > So everything installed ok. Sound drivers are there. app in systray says
    > that the sound is installed and working ok.
    >
    > But can't hear anything. at all.
    >
    > Speakers are tested and good.
    >
    > turned sound off in bios. uninstalled sound drivers and apps.
    >
    > turned sound back on in bios and reinstalled sound off original disc.
    > Still the same. No sound.
    >

    > Any ideas?

    is the volume up? (its the little things that get over looked most often)
    have you selected input/output devices?

    tested speakers on another system?

    KB

    Krazy Bob, Jan 21, 2006

  3. cowboyz

    cowboyz Guest

    Krazy Bob wrote:
    > "cowboyz" <> wrote in message
    >> Asus A7S8X-MX board
    >>
    >> Onboard ADI AD1888 soundMax 6 channel with S/PDIF out
    >>
    >> So everything installed ok. Sound drivers are there. app in
    >> systray says that the sound is installed and working ok.
    >>
    >> But can't hear anything. at all.
    >>
    >> Speakers are tested and good.
    >>
    >> turned sound off in bios. uninstalled sound drivers and apps.
    >>
    >> turned sound back on in bios and reinstalled sound off original disc.
    >> Still the same. No sound.
    >>

    >> Any ideas?
    >>

    > is the volume up? (its the little things that get over looked most
    > often)

    yes

    >have you selected input/output devices?

    yes

    > tested speakers on another system?

    yes

    still no go. I am pointing toward hardware faultly.

    cowboyz, Jan 21, 2006
  4. cowboyz

    DakaR Guest

    cowboyz wrote:

    > still no go. I am pointing toward hardware faultly.
    >
    >> KB

    Does it have a line out plug....try the speakers in that (it will be
    quieter) might be a dry joint in the speaker out plug.

    DakaR, Jan 21, 2006
  5. cowboyz wrote:
    > Asus A7S8X-MX board
    >
    > Onboard ADI AD1888 soundMax 6 channel with S/PDIF out
    >
    > So everything installed ok. Sound drivers are there. app in systray says
    > that the sound is installed and working ok.
    >
    > But can't hear anything. at all.
    >
    > Speakers are tested and good.
    >
    > turned sound off in bios. uninstalled sound drivers and apps.
    >
    > turned sound back on in bios and reinstalled sound off original disc.
    > Still the same. No sound.
    >
    > Any ideas?

    Do the speakers have built in amplifiers ?

    Some don't and you'll hear nothing driving them from a line level output.

    Some soundcards include an amplifier and even jumpers to select whether the
    output is line level or speaker level. Speaker level output will work into a
    line input, but dumb speakers will make no noise from a line output.

    Find a 3.2mm stereo to two RCA plugs lead an run it through a stereo - much better.

    Mark Robinson, Jan 21, 2006
  6. cowboyz

    DakaR Guest

    Mark Robinson wrote:

    > cowboyz wrote:
    >> Asus A7S8X-MX board
    >>

    > Some soundcards include an amplifier and even jumpers to select whether
    > the output is line level or speaker level. Speaker level output will work
    > into a line input, but dumb speakers will make no noise from a line
    > output.
    >
    > Find a 3.2mm stereo to two RCA plugs lead an run it through a stereo -
    > much better.

    Off topic but yes...I have a 5.1 amped system hooked to my soundcard and
    the line out feeds to the stereo which has surround sound :) So 10 speakers
    all up...Smoke on the Water sounds awesome :)

    DakaR, Jan 21, 2006
  7. cowboyz

    Baloo Guest

    DakaR wrote:
    > Mark Robinson wrote:
    >
    >> cowboyz wrote:
    >>> Asus A7S8X-MX board
    >>>

    >> Some soundcards include an amplifier and even jumpers to select whether
    >> the output is line level or speaker level. Speaker level output will work
    >> into a line input, but dumb speakers will make no noise from a line
    >> output.
    >>
    >> Find a 3.2mm stereo to two RCA plugs lead an run it through a stereo -
    >> much better.

    > Off topic but yes...I have a 5.1 amped system hooked to my soundcard and
    > the line out feeds to the stereo which has surround sound :) So 10 speakers
    > all up...Smoke on the Water sounds awesome :)

    Just a random thought

    Some mother boards have jumpers to direct the sound output to the rear
    speakers sockets or to the front speakers....

    Baloo

    Baloo, Jan 21, 2006
  8. cowboyz

    cowboyz Guest

    > Just a random thought
    >
    > Some mother boards have jumpers to direct the sound output to the rear
    > speakers sockets or to the front speakers....
    >
    > Baloo

    cant find anything in in manual indicating this on this board

    cowboyz, Jan 22, 2006
  9. cowboyz

    cowboyz Guest

    "cowboyz" <> wrote in message

    >> Just a random thought
    >>
    >> Some mother boards have jumpers to direct the sound output to the rear
    >> speakers sockets or to the front speakers....
    >>
    >> Baloo

    > cant find anything in in manual indicating this on this board

    ok. he brought his computer over here (it is hear now) and plugged the
    S/PIF output into my 5.1 sound system and it works great.

    SO how do you change the sound to use the "normal"speaker ports??
    nothing in the bios or software to indicate except the "use S/PIF sound" in
    control panel and when that is unticked I am back to no sound anywhere.

    Any ideas?

    cowboyz, Jan 23, 2006
  10. cowboyz

    Rob J Guest

    In article <43d2a992$>,
    says...
    > DakaR wrote:
    > > Mark Robinson wrote:

    > >> Some soundcards include an amplifier and even jumpers to select whether
    > >> the output is line level or speaker level. Speaker level output will work
    > >> into a line input, but dumb speakers will make no noise from a line
    > >> output.
    > >>
    > >> Find a 3.2mm stereo to two RCA plugs lead an run it through a stereo -
    > >> much better.

    > > Off topic but yes...I have a 5.1 amped system hooked to my soundcard and
    > > the line out feeds to the stereo which has surround sound :) So 10 speakers
    > > all up...Smoke on the Water sounds awesome :)

    > Just a random thought
    >
    > Some mother boards have jumpers to direct the sound output to the rear
    > speakers sockets or to the front speakers....

    Open the volume control and make sure you have ALL the playback controls
    displayed (tick all the boxes).

    My Realtek onboard sound has extra faders for the front pink and green
    jacks. No sound will go through these jacks if the FPink/FGreen fader is
    right down. Likewise for the rear sound output, it has an extra fader
    called "Front" (for front speakers) (and also Rear for rear speakers, if
    four or six speakers are enabled), if this is right down no sound will
    come out.

    Later Realteks usually have a sound manager that sits in the system tray
    with settings for 2, 4 or 6 speakers. You probably need a decoder for
    5.1

    Rob J, Jan 23, 2006
  11. I reckon it's what Baloo said

    They are jumpers marked FP_AUDIO in the bottom left corner of the board.

    should look something like this

    123 4 (pin missing between 3 and 4 on this line)
    56789

    There should be a jumper over 3&7 and 4&9

    Stephen Williams, Jan 24, 2006