    Any suggestions would be appreciated.

    Thanks in advance,
    Mike

    Mike, Feb 24, 2005

  2. Mike

    Unk Guest

    On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 01:02:44 -0500, "Mike" <> wrote:

    >I am having trouble with the screen resolution & colour quality settings on
    >an old Dell, PII with 128mb & running Win98SE. It has an ATI Rage Pro Turbo
    >AGP 2X display adapter and I can't get the screen resolution above 640 x 480
    >or the colour quality above 16 colours. When I change the settings and
    >restart the computer, it goes back to 640 x 480 and 16 colours.
    >
    >I downloaded the newest Rage Pro Turbo driver from ATI's site, but when I
    >went to install it, it stops and says something about the driver not being
    >the right one for the card type.
    >
    >Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    >
    >Thanks in advance,
    >Mike

    Update the drivers.
    http://members.driverguide.com/inde... AGP 2X&qa5=4&qa6=127&dp=2&sm=b&jmd=and&fzz=d

    Your shorter link: http://tinyurl.com/4333m

    If it asks for a logon and password, use:
    logon: drivers
    Password: all

    Unk, Feb 24, 2005

  3. Mike

    Unk Guest

    On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 01:11:58 -0500, Unk <> wrote:

    >On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 01:02:44 -0500, "Mike" <> wrote:
    >
    >>I am having trouble with the screen resolution & colour quality settings on
    >>an old Dell, PII with 128mb & running Win98SE. It has an ATI Rage Pro Turbo
    >>AGP 2X display adapter and I can't get the screen resolution above 640 x 480
    >>or the colour quality above 16 colours. When I change the settings and
    >>restart the computer, it goes back to 640 x 480 and 16 colours.
    >>
    >>I downloaded the newest Rage Pro Turbo driver from ATI's site, but when I
    >>went to install it, it stops and says something about the driver not being
    >>the right one for the card type.
    >>
    >>Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    >>
    >>Thanks in advance,
    >>Mike
    >>

    >Update the drivers.
    >http://members.driverguide.com/inde... AGP 2X&qa5=4&qa6=127&dp=2&sm=b&jmd=and&fzz=d
    >
    >Your shorter link: http://tinyurl.com/4333m
    >
    >If it asks for a logon and password, use:
    >logon: drivers
    >Password: all

    Make sure you have the right display adapter info.
    Download a Free program called "ChipInfo.exe" and click the "VGA" tab to get the board's exact
    manufacturer and device info. http://www.pcanalyser.com/eng/index.html
    Direct download: http://www.pcanalyser.com/download/chipinfodemo100.zip

    Unk, Feb 24, 2005
  4. Mike

    Vanguard Guest

    "Mike" <> wrote in message
    >I am having trouble with the screen resolution & colour quality
    >settings on an old Dell, PII with 128mb & running Win98SE. It has an
    >ATI Rage Pro Turbo AGP 2X display adapter and I can't get the screen
    >resolution above 640 x 480 or the colour quality above 16 colours. When
    >I change the settings and restart the computer, it goes back to 640 x
    >480 and 16 colours.
    >
    > I downloaded the newest Rage Pro Turbo driver from ATI's site, but
    > when I went to install it, it stops and says something about the
    > driver not being the right one for the card type.

    Did you download and install the Windows 98 version of the ATI driver?
    Or perhaps did you download the Windows NT, 2000, or XP version of the
    driver? Did you download the Rage 128 Pro driver, or the Rage Pro
    driver?

    The Product Details from Software Utilities on your ATI CD or the ATI
    website
    http://www.ati.com/support/identify/softutils.html

    Vanguard, Feb 24, 2005
  5. Mike

    Guest

    Well known Troll !

    *'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:- ¸ô¶ó -:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*

    ¸ô¶ó

    , Feb 24, 2005
  6. Mike

    Mike Guest

    Will give it a go first thing in the morning.
    Thanks again,
    Mike

    Mike, Feb 24, 2005
  7. Mike

    Mike Guest

    Pretty sure I had the 98 drivers for the Rage Pro. Not as stupid as I
    probably come off with this question, but not my computer (really outdated
    system) and I just got done getting rid of 65 viruses for this person and
    got their system stable for the first time in a long time (they also had
    huge amounts of spyware and adware and their browser was hijacked to boot).

    Had to fix their mouse while I was at it and the display problem was the
    last thing I wanted to fix before giving it back to them in the morning. She
    said the screen has been at this resolution for a while now, so I wasn't
    sure if the viruses messed it up or their kids deleted something by accident
    (she didn't give me much to go on, just dropped it in my lap and asked if I
    could fix it).

    Anyways, thanks again and will try the utility in the morning.
    Mike

    Mike, Feb 24, 2005
  8. Mike

    Apollo Guest

    "Mike" <> wrote in message
    > Pretty sure I had the 98 drivers for the Rage Pro. Not as stupid
    > as I probably come off with this question, but not my computer
    > (really outdated system) and I just got done getting rid of 65
    > viruses for this person and got their system stable for the
    > first time in a long time (they also had huge amounts of spyware
    > and adware and their browser was hijacked to boot).
    >
    > Had to fix their mouse while I was at it and the display problem
    > was the last thing I wanted to fix before giving it back to them
    > in the morning. She said the screen has been at this resolution
    > for a while now, so I wasn't sure if the viruses messed it up or
    > their kids deleted something by accident (she didn't give me
    > much to go on, just dropped it in my lap and asked if I could
    > fix it).
    >
    > Anyways, thanks again and will try the utility in the morning.
    > Mike

    Try;
    Start in safe mode and remove the device(s) from control panel.
    Re-boot and install a standard vga driver.
    Re-boot and install the ati drivers.
    Re-boot and all should be fine.

    --
    Ian

    Apollo, Feb 24, 2005
  9. "Apollo" <ian_dunbar6@hot[un-munge-me]mail.com> wrote in message

    > "Mike" <> wrote in message
    >> Pretty sure I had the 98 drivers for the Rage Pro. Not as stupid as I
    >> probably come off with this question, but not my computer (really
    >> outdated system) and I just got done getting rid of 65 viruses for this
    >> person and got their system stable for the first time in a long time
    >> (they also had huge amounts of spyware and adware and their browser was
    >> hijacked to boot).
    >>
    >> Had to fix their mouse while I was at it and the display problem was the
    >> last thing I wanted to fix before giving it back to them in the morning.
    >> She said the screen has been at this resolution for a while now, so I
    >> wasn't sure if the viruses messed it up or their kids deleted something
    >> by accident (she didn't give me much to go on, just dropped it in my lap
    >> and asked if I could fix it).
    >>
    >> Anyways, thanks again and will try the utility in the morning.
    >> Mike

    > Try;
    > Start in safe mode and remove the device(s) from control panel.
    > Re-boot and install a standard vga driver.
    > Re-boot and install the ati drivers.
    > Re-boot and all should be fine.
    >
    > --
    > Ian

    Hi Mike, A lot of Dell machines use a modified ATI video card, And the ATI
    drivers will not work, You need the Dell modified drivers for these units.
    Try the Dell site and use the serial number from the machine to pinpoint
    them. Or if you have the original Dell CDs that came with the machine the
    drivers are on those disks also.
    Let us know if you have any luck.

    --
    Regards, Rene Lamontagne

    Rene Lamontagne, Feb 24, 2005
  10. Mike

    Mike Guest

    Thank you very much Rene! That did the trick downloading the Dell modified
    drivers from their site. The ATI drivers kept screwing it up for me and she
    didn't give me any disks to use.

    Many thanks again and have a nice day,
    Mike

    Mike, Feb 24, 2005
  11. Mike

    relic Guest

    wrote:
    > Well known Troll !
    >
    > *'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:- ¸ô¶ó -:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*
    >
    > ¸ô¶ó

    Then change your nick.

    --
    If there is a Tourist Season, how come we can't shoot them?

    relic, Feb 24, 2005
  12. Mike

    Aquila Deus Guest

    Well known tosser.