    or 104 bit. How do I get this to work if they won't use the same encryption
    levels?

    Paul
    =?Utf-8?B?cmFkbWFuNDQ=?=, Jun 6, 2005

  2. In article <>,
    "radman44" <> wrote:
    >I am using a Linksys WRT51AB wireless router and I am having trouble getting
    >the encryption to work properly. When I go to enter the WEP keys under the
    >router setup I have three choices, 64, 128 and 152 bit. The trouble is that
    >when I go to enter the WEP key in windows it only gives me the option of 40
    >or 104 bit. How do I get this to work if they won't use the same encryption
    >levels?
    >
    >Paul

    The choices are actually the same in the router setup and Windows, but
    they don't look like it. The difference occurs because a WEP key
    contains 24 bits that aren't user-settable, and different vendors use
    different terminology:

    64-bit (40+24) is the same as 40-bit
    128-bit (104+24) is the same as 104-bit
    --