Trouble with IE Webcontrols in .net 1.1

Discussion in 'General Computer Support' started by TimmyC, May 16, 2007.

  1. TimmyC

    TimmyC

    Joined:
    May 15, 2007
    Messages:
    4
    Location:
    London
    Morning!

    I am developing an FTP program as a website for use on the company intranet. I found the IEWebcontrols and the treeview it offered and went ahead and installed it. With a bit of a battle, the damn thing worked on the development server. However we just made it live on the intranet and it refuses to display the treeview properly. I've spent a lot of time wrestling with it and have a few interesting symptoms:

    The file systems are displayed but as a paragraph in Internet Explorer. No nodes, nothing expandable. Just text.

    The treeview is almost displayed right in Mozilla (which I find amusing - IE Web controls are working better in Mozilla at the moment than IE :???: ). The system is displayed as nodes, and folder images are displaying alright. Nothing is expandable, however.

    This is a problem I have read about before, but cannot seem to find a solution. It seems that the intranet application DOES know what a treeview is, but is unable to display it all the way. Could this be a permission/security issue?

    Thanks very much for any and all help! Like I said in a different post on this site, I'll fax you a beer if you can solve it! ;-)

    TimmyC
    Last edited: May 16, 2007
    TimmyC, May 16, 2007

  2. TimmyC

    TimmyC

    Joined:
    May 15, 2007
    Messages:
    4
    Location:
    London
    Right, okay, I managed to solve this one. I've seen a lot of people complain about this problem and very little in the way of solutions. So here is how I understand it.

    The basics are that you need to copy the webctrl_client folder to the root of not just your website where your project is, but also the root of your public folder for websites. I'd also stick it in your root drive, then anywhere else you think might be somewhat relevant. The reason I had such trouble was because I am developing in .Net 1.1, the server has the 1.1 framework and the 2.0 framework installed. However the 2.0 framework also has a treeview control. Before I plasted that folder all over the server there must have been a runtime naming issue which didn't throw any error.

    Why put it in several places? Surely its only one of them making the difference!

    I agree, but at first I stuck it in the root of the drive. The site worked perfectly in Mozilla. With sweet success so nearby, I stuck it in the webroot as well. Both now work. I aint touching it! (hopefully ever again!).
    TimmyC, May 16, 2007