    types, click on "Always use this ..." So -- (forgive me) -- how do I
    now let the damned computer know that it's Google to be associated?
    Geez!

    MayB, Dec 19, 2003

  2. MayB

    °Mike° Guest

    Why do you have Google in your Quick Launch bar? Either set
    Google as your home page, or use the Google Toolbar.
    http://toolbar.google.com/

    Do *not* use the advanced features of the Google toolbar.

    On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 20:53:57 GMT, in
    <FzJEb.2420$>
    MayB scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Dec 19, 2003

  3. MayB

    MayB Guest

    Mike, I have the same problem with Internet Explorer now. The only
    way that I can chase a link, either in an email message or in a
    newsgroup message is to type the URL onto my clipboard and paste into
    IE that I access through the Start/Find/On the Internet process.

    I've used Google as my home page forever, 'til this goofy phenomenon.

    MayB, Dec 19, 2003
  4. MayB

    Yddap Guest

    In news:v_JEb.2427$,
    MayB <MayB@socalNOT_THIS.rr.com> opined:
    > Mike, I have the same problem with Internet Explorer now. The only
    > way that I can chase a link, either in an email message or in a
    > newsgroup message is to type the URL onto my clipboard and paste into
    > IE that I access through the Start/Find/On the Internet process.
    >
    > I've used Google as my home page forever, 'til this goofy phenomenon.
    >
    > ..
    > "°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    >> Why do you have Google in your Quick Launch bar? Either set
    >> Google as your home page, or use the Google Toolbar.
    >> http://toolbar.google.com/
    >>
    >> Do *not* use the advanced features of the Google toolbar.
    >>

    >> On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 20:53:57 GMT, in
    >> <FzJEb.2420$>
    >> MayB scrawled:
    >>
    >>> "Nah," you say, "Nobody has trouble with Google!" But I've proven
    >>> that if you put a googly operator in charge, anybody can have trouble
    >>> with Google.
    >>>
    >>> When I provoke the blessed program from my Quick Launch bar, the old
    >>> std popup appears, "This file does not have a program associated with
    >>> it for performing this action. Create an association in My Computer
    >>> by clicking View and then clicking Folder Options."
    >>>
    >>> That's clear enough. So now I select a program from the list of
    >>> types, click on "Always use this ..." So -- (forgive me) -- how do I
    >>> now let the damned computer know that it's Google to be associated?
    >>> Geez!
    >>>

    >> --
    >> Basic computer maintenance

    Try the folowing URL
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;281679

    Yddap

    Yddap, Dec 19, 2003
  5. "°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    > Why do you have Google in your Quick Launch bar? Either set
    > Google as your home page, or use the Google Toolbar.
    > http://toolbar.google.com/
    >
    > Do *not* use the advanced features of the Google toolbar.

    Oh phooey. :p

    --Tina

    --
    http://www.AffordableHOST.com
    20% Discount Code: newsgroup

    Tina - AffordableHOST.com, Dec 19, 2003
  6. MayB

    °Mike° Guest

    It sounds like the url protocol entries have become corrupt in
    the registry. Repair Internet Explorer from Add\Remove
    Programs.

    How to Reinstall or Repair Internet Explorer and Outlook
    Express in Windows XP

    On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 21:22:35 GMT, in
    <v_JEb.2427$>
    MayB scrawled:

    >Mike, I have the same problem with Internet Explorer now. The only
    >way that I can chase a link, either in an email message or in a
    >newsgroup message is to type the URL onto my clipboard and paste into
    >IE that I access through the Start/Find/On the Internet process.
    >
    >I've used Google as my home page forever, 'til this goofy phenomenon.
    >
    >..
    >"°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    >> Why do you have Google in your Quick Launch bar? Either set
    >> Google as your home page, or use the Google Toolbar.
    >> http://toolbar.google.com/
    >>
    >> Do *not* use the advanced features of the Google toolbar.

    <snip>

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Dec 19, 2003
  7. MayB

    MayB Guest

    "Yddap" <> wrote in message
    > In news:v_JEb.2427$,
    > MayB <MayB@socalNOT_THIS.rr.com> opined:
    > > Mike, I have the same problem with Internet Explorer now. The

    only
    > > way that I can chase a link, either in an email message or in a
    > > newsgroup message is to type the URL onto my clipboard and paste

    into
    > > IE that I access through the Start/Find/On the Internet process.
    > >
    > > I've used Google as my home page forever, 'til this goofy

    phenomenon.

    > > ..
    > > "°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    > >> Why do you have Google in your Quick Launch bar? Either set
    > >> Google as your home page, or use the Google Toolbar.
    > >> http://toolbar.google.com/
    > >>
    > >> Do *not* use the advanced features of the Google toolbar.
    > >>

    > >> On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 20:53:57 GMT, in
    > >> <FzJEb.2420$>
    > >> MayB scrawled:

    proven

    trouble

    old

    with

    Computer

    do I

    associated?

    > >> --
    > >> Basic computer maintenance

    > Try the folowing URL
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;281679
    >
    > Yddap

    Thanks, Yddap.

    MayB, Dec 19, 2003
  8. MayB

    Yddap Guest

    In news:%zKEb.9493$,
    MayB <MayB@socalNOT_THIS.rr.com> opined:
    > "Yddap" <> wrote in message
    >> In news:v_JEb.2427$,
    >> MayB <MayB@socalNOT_THIS.rr.com> opined:
    >>> Mike, I have the same problem with Internet Explorer now. The only
    >>> way that I can chase a link, either in an email message or in a
    >>> newsgroup message is to type the URL onto my clipboard and paste into
    >>> IE that I access through the Start/Find/On the Internet process.
    >>>
    >>> I've used Google as my home page forever, 'til this goofy phenomenon.
    >>>
    >>> ..
    >>> "°Mike°" <> wrote in message

    >> Try the folowing URL
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;281679
    >>
    >> Yddap
    >>

    > Thanks, Yddap.

    OK fine
    :)

    Yddap

    Yddap, Dec 19, 2003
  9. MayB

    MayB Guest

    Thanks, Mike. I'll chase that link (hope it applies to W98 as well)

    MayB, Dec 19, 2003
  10. MayB

    °Mike° Guest

    That link doesn't apply to Win98 -- you never stated your OS,
    that's why I included that link. For Windows 98, just go to
    Add\Remove Programs / Microsoft Internet Explorer. Press
    Add\Remove and choose the 'Repair' option. Be sure that
    all other applications are closed when you do this.

    On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 22:06:08 GMT, in
    <kDKEb.9494$>
    MayB scrawled:

    °Mike°, Dec 19, 2003
  11. MayB

    MayB Guest

    "°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    > That link doesn't apply to Win98 -- you never stated your OS,
    > that's why I included that link. For Windows 98, just go to
    > Add\Remove Programs / Microsoft Internet Explorer. Press
    > Add\Remove and choose the 'Repair' option. Be sure that
    > all other applications are closed when you do this.

    Went there. Popup says, "Cannot repair. Uninstall and reinstall." No
    way could I uninstall, so I tried to reinstall over the top. No go!
    Popup says,"Not all files could be installed - try again." Aaaaagh!

    MayB, Dec 20, 2003
  12. MayB

    °Mike° Guest

    On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 03:06:30 GMT, in
    <W0PEb.3280$>
    MayB scrawled:

    >"°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    >> That link doesn't apply to Win98 -- you never stated your OS,
    >> that's why I included that link. For Windows 98, just go to
    >> Add\Remove Programs / Microsoft Internet Explorer. Press
    >> Add\Remove and choose the 'Repair' option. Be sure that
    >> all other applications are closed when you do this.

    >Went there. Popup says, "Cannot repair. Uninstall and reinstall." No
    >way could I uninstall, so I tried to reinstall over the top. No go!
    >Popup says,"Not all files could be installed - try again." Aaaaagh!

    Copy/Paste the following into your Start / Run box (all one line):

    rundll32 setupwbv.dll,IE6Maintenance "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Setup\SETUP.EXE" /g

    If that doesn't work, try:

    rundll32.exe setupapi,InstallHinfSection DefaultInstall 132 C:\windows\inf\ie.inf

    And if THAT doesn't work, try just:

    °Mike°, Dec 20, 2003
  13. MayB

    Ghostmaster Guest

    "Tina - AffordableHOST.com" <> wrote in message
    : "°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    : news:...
    : > Why do you have Google in your Quick Launch bar? Either set
    : > Google as your home page, or use the Google Toolbar.
    : > http://toolbar.google.com/
    : >
    : > Do *not* use the advanced features of the Google toolbar.

    Do *not* use the advanced features WHY?

    Ghostmaster, Dec 20, 2003
  14. MayB

    °Mike° Guest

    On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 09:25:54 GMT, in
    <CAUEb.5969$>
    Ghostmaster scrawled:

    >"Tina - AffordableHOST.com" <> wrote in message
    >: "°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    >: news:...
    >: > Why do you have Google in your Quick Launch bar? Either set
    >: > Google as your home page, or use the Google Toolbar.
    >: > http://toolbar.google.com/
    >: >
    >: > Do *not* use the advanced features of the Google toolbar.
    >
    >Do *not* use the advanced features WHY?

    Privacy issues. It sends information home to momma.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Dec 20, 2003
  15. MayB

    trout Guest

    Ghostmaster wrote:

    <attributions fixed>

    >> "°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    >>> Why do you have Google in your Quick Launch bar? Either set
    >>> Google as your home page, or use the Google Toolbar.
    >>> http://toolbar.google.com/
    >>>
    >>> Do *not* use the advanced features of the Google toolbar.

    > Do *not* use the advanced features WHY?

    Because; to perform their function, it's necessary for these
    features to track some of your browsing information, and communicate it
    back 'home'. For some; this would be a 'privacy' issue. It could also
    just make browsing slower.
    --
    "For most people; it's just neither wanted, or particularly useful."

    trout, Dec 20, 2003
  16. MayB

    Ghostmaster Guest

    "trout" <> wrote in message
    : Ghostmaster wrote:
    :
    : <attributions fixed>
    :
    : >> "°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    : >> news:...
    : >>> Why do you have Google in your Quick Launch bar? Either set
    : >>> Google as your home page, or use the Google Toolbar.
    : >>> http://toolbar.google.com/
    : >>>
    : >>> Do *not* use the advanced features of the Google toolbar.
    : >
    : > Do *not* use the advanced features WHY?
    :
    : Because; to perform their function, it's necessary for these
    : features to track some of your browsing information, and communicate it
    : back 'home'. For some; this would be a 'privacy' issue. It could also
    : just make browsing slower.
    : --
    : "For most people; it's just neither wanted, or particularly useful."
    :
    :
    I haven't seen a slow down. But I have been blessed with a pretty fast box
    too. So for some it might be a problem. But if I visit a site and I don't
    care for Google to know I can disable the advanced features then have a
    ball, or use a different browser. Like for instance for school, bank
    accounts etc. They just collect site information Like your IP, for which
    99% of sites do that anyway. it's not like they have my home address. If
    you want to discuss Privacy issues. Then you should be discussing
    Microsoft. They know everything that is on your box if you get their
    updates.

    a.. Google may collect information about web pages that you are viewing when
    the advanced functionality is enabled. However, this advanced functionality
    is optional, and can be easily disabled and re-enabled at any time (by
    selecting "Privacy Information..." in the Toolbar's "Google" menu.)

    a.. You will know the advanced functionality is enabled when the PageRank
    meter is visible on your Google Toolbar.

    a.. Google only collects the normal type of information that is already
    available to the websites you visit. This means, Google cannot collect, for
    example, your name, email address, telephone number, etc.

    I won't give even Google a chocolate chip cookie for this information
    they collect. But they are better than a few I know online when it comes to
    privacy. If you read the fine privacy print of a few games that you may
    have, or websites you visit. Some of them are appalling. Others are a
    disgrace. I am not saying either that it is fine and proper to be
    collecting any information. But I like the page rank. Some pages I visit,
    I like to know if it's ranked high. Good way to find out if it is worth my
    time to read, or if the page is popular.

    Speaking of info...

    YELLOW FLAG
    http://uk.geocities.com/personel44/maintenance.html Once, Domain, TPCookie
    (B=17h5tusvjkjo0&b=2; Q=q1=AACAAAAAAAAAbw--&q2=P4QioQ--; C=mg=1;
    LYC=l_v=0&l_lv=4&l_s=xsuu1wyx2vy0uxy20143qyxy52504zxx&l_um=0_0_1_0;
    U=mt=pSeYAJ2MhYs3JwlTX.K9y5l8ilXgutjxnww-&ux=ZpLm/A&un=4tatjnak7sj9r;
    F=a=G9mJm3IsvWJ0gZr7CR7lDel.tDEEGtmE3wS.Vsl5A35vtmEl2oHJIjsaxU1m&b=qvAU;
    Y=v=1&n=4qo35ioni5ab0&p=)
    Scripthttp://uk.toto.geo.yahoo.com/toto?s=382105804&l=NE&b=1&t=1071920628
    RED FLAG:
    http://uk.geocities.com/personel44/maintenance.html Tiny, Once, Domain,
    TPCookie (B=17h5tusvjkjo0&b=2; Q=q1=AACAAAAAAAAAbw--&q2=P4QioQ--; C=mg=1;
    LYC=l_v=0&l_lv=4&l_s=xsuu1wyx2vy0uxy20143qyxy52504zxx&l_um=0_0_1_0;
    U=mt=pSeYAJ2MhYs3JwlTX.K9y5l8ilXgutjxnww-&ux=ZpLm/A&un=4tatjnak7sj9r;
    F=a=G9mJm3IsvWJ0gZr7CR7lDel.tDEEGtmE3wS.Vsl5A35vtmEl2oHJIjsaxU1m&b=qvAU;
    Y=v=1&n=4qo35ioni5ab0&p=)
    Imagehttp://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=382105804&t=1071920628

    Tiny image is tiny, so is probably not meant to be seen
    Protocols image URL contains more than one Web protocol name (e.g.,
    "http:" twice)
    Cookie image URL overlaps with the cookie field too much
    Lengthy image URL is unusually long
    Domain image comes from a different domain than the main document
    Once image is used only once in the document
    TPCookie image comes from a different domain than the document and has
    an associated cookie (Third Party Cookie)
    Recognized compares the URL against a set of recognized Web sites

    I don't get a RED FLAG at google. As a matter of fact I get no flags at
    Google. To be fair I did a check on yahoo search, and MSN search, and I got
    no red flags or yellow flags at those either. Sorry, but privacy was
    mentioned. I am just trying to prove my point when it comes to privacy
    online. There is no privacy at a lot of websites you may visit. Of course
    it does depend on how well the user has the browser securly locked down.
    :) From my dealings with IE users, most don't bother to beef up the
    security on it. They only care about getting rid of the popups.

    Ghostmaster, Dec 20, 2003
  17. MayB

    trout Guest

    Ghostmaster wrote:

> [...]

    > Lengthy image URL is unusually long
    > Domain image comes from a different domain than the main
    > document Once image is used only once in the document
    > TPCookie image comes from a different domain than the document
    > and has an associated cookie (Third Party Cookie)
    > Recognized compares the URL against a set of recognized Web sites
    >
    > I don't get a RED FLAG at google. As a matter of fact I get no flags
    > at Google. To be fair I did a check on yahoo search, and MSN search,
    > and I got no red flags or yellow flags at those either. Sorry, but
    > privacy was mentioned. I am just trying to prove my point when it
    > comes to privacy online. There is no privacy at a lot of websites
    > you may visit. Of course it does depend on how well the user has the
    > browser securly locked down. :) From my dealings with IE users,
    > most don't bother to beef up the security on it. They only care

    Well; *that* was all very interesting. But nothing, however, that I
    didn't already know. The statement was simply "for some; this would be a
    privacy issue". It is; irrespective of 'relative' privacy on the 'net.
    Please be a little more clear about it, if you are merely asking a
    rhetorical question as a prelude to a lengthy 'rebuttal'.
    I also have no idea why you are replying to me about something you
    find perturbing on °Mike°'s Yahoo/Geocity page. Probably the same reason
    you'd originally replied to Tina instead of him. Please have the correct
    post highlighted when selecting "Reply Group".
    --
    "As for 'PageRank'; Popular Opinion is generally dumb."

    trout, Dec 20, 2003
  18. MayB

    °Mike° Guest

    On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 12:47:04 GMT, in
    <cxXEb.6008$>
    Ghostmaster scrawled:

    <snip>

    >Speaking of info...
    >
    >YELLOW FLAG
    > http://uk.geocities.com/personel44/maintenance.html Once, Domain, TPCookie
    >(B=17h5tusvjkjo0&b=2; Q=q1=AACAAAAAAAAAbw--&q2=P4QioQ--; C=mg=1;
    >LYC=l_v=0&l_lv=4&l_s=xsuu1wyx2vy0uxy20143qyxy52504zxx&l_um=0_0_1_0;
    >U=mt=pSeYAJ2MhYs3JwlTX.K9y5l8ilXgutjxnww-&ux=ZpLm/A&un=4tatjnak7sj9r;
    >F=a=G9mJm3IsvWJ0gZr7CR7lDel.tDEEGtmE3wS.Vsl5A35vtmEl2oHJIjsaxU1m&b=qvAU;
    >Y=v=1&n=4qo35ioni5ab0&p=)
    >Scripthttp://uk.toto.geo.yahoo.com/toto?s=382105804&l=NE&b=1&t=1071920628
    >RED FLAG:
    >http://uk.geocities.com/personel44/maintenance.html Tiny, Once, Domain,
    >TPCookie (B=17h5tusvjkjo0&b=2; Q=q1=AACAAAAAAAAAbw--&q2=P4QioQ--; C=mg=1;
    >LYC=l_v=0&l_lv=4&l_s=xsuu1wyx2vy0uxy20143qyxy52504zxx&l_um=0_0_1_0;
    >U=mt=pSeYAJ2MhYs3JwlTX.K9y5l8ilXgutjxnww-&ux=ZpLm/A&un=4tatjnak7sj9r;
    >F=a=G9mJm3IsvWJ0gZr7CR7lDel.tDEEGtmE3wS.Vsl5A35vtmEl2oHJIjsaxU1m&b=qvAU;
    >Y=v=1&n=4qo35ioni5ab0&p=)
    >Imagehttp://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=382105804&t=1071920628
    >
    >Tiny image is tiny, so is probably not meant to be seen
    >Protocols image URL contains more than one Web protocol name (e.g.,
    >"http:" twice)
    >Cookie image URL overlaps with the cookie field too much
    >Lengthy image URL is unusually long
    >Domain image comes from a different domain than the main document
    >Once image is used only once in the document
    >TPCookie image comes from a different domain than the document and has
    >an associated cookie (Third Party Cookie)
    >Recognized compares the URL against a set of recognized Web sites
    >
    >I don't get a RED FLAG at google. As a matter of fact I get no flags at
    >Google.

    <snip>

    Them's the breaks for using a free Geocities page. It's none of
    my doing, so bite me.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Dec 20, 2003
  19. MayB

    Ghostmaster Guest

    "trout" <> wrote in message
    : Ghostmaster wrote:
    :
    : > "trout" <> wrote in message
    : > news:bs15lr$8j1og$-berlin.de...
    : >> Ghostmaster wrote:
    :: >>>>> Do *not* use the advanced features of the Google toolbar.

    <snip>

    :
    : Well; *that* was all very interesting. But nothing, however, that I
    : didn't already know. The statement was simply "for some; this would be a
    : privacy issue". It is; irrespective of 'relative' privacy on the 'net.
    : Please be a little more clear about it, if you are merely asking a
    : rhetorical question as a prelude to a lengthy 'rebuttal'.
    : I also have no idea why you are replying to me about something you
    : find perturbing on °Mike°'s Yahoo/Geocity page. Probably the same reason
    : you'd originally replied to Tina instead of him. Please have the correct
    : post highlighted when selecting "Reply Group".
    : --
    : "As for 'PageRank'; Popular Opinion is generally dumb."

    I don't understand how this would even be a privacy issue for even some
    people. There are far more greater privacy issues to get bent out of shape
    over. If some of these newbies would take the time to read the "I agree"
    statements before "agreeing, some would probably faint if they knew what
    they was agreeing too on some of these pages, and in the software. This is
    just a trivial detail of information that a page or even a search engine
    can gather. What Google gathers is not significant I also apologize to you
    because I didn't mean to rant and rave at you. I am not use to these
    newsgroups yet. Actually I am not even ranting. If I came off sounding a
    bit boisterous I didn't mean too. Sorry. You are correct also about the
    page rank. But I have to admit, I use it, and I sometimes find it very
    amusing. But I use it just the same.

    Ghostmaster, Dec 21, 2003
  20. MayB

    Ghostmaster Guest

    "°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    : On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 12:47:04 GMT, in
    : <cxXEb.6008$>
    : Ghostmaster scrawled:
    :
    :
    : <snip>
    :
    : Them's the breaks for using a free Geocities page. It's none of
    : my doing, so bite me.

    Mike I only used you as a example. I don't bite, and I don't even nibble.
    I wasn't trying to point you out in any way. Your page just happen to be
    handy. Your right too. Using a free host you have to take it, or move on.
    I have a couple of free ones myself. They are not anymore nicer than
    Geocities.

    Ghostmaster, Dec 21, 2003