    passwords - I had to reset mine, which stopped working for no apparent
    reason. He just had the same issue.

    -S-

    Steve Freides, Mar 20, 2010

  2. Steve Freides wrote:
    > Both my son and I have had issues in the last few days with gal
    > passwords - I had to reset mine, which stopped working for no apparent
    > reason. He just had the same issue.
    >
    > -S-

    Duh - "gal" about should be gmail - stupid user (me), stupid spell
    checker.

    -S-

    Steve Freides, Mar 20, 2010

  3. Steve Freides

    LD55ZRA Guest

    Could it be that you are mistyping the password like you did just here when
    mistyping Gmail to gal? Just a thought!!

    LD55ZRA, Mar 21, 2010
  4. Steve Freides

    Mike Easter Guest

    Steve Freides wrote:
    > Both my son and I have had issues in the last few days with gal
    > passwords - I had to reset mine, which stopped working for no apparent
    > reason. He just had the same issue.

    Gmail has a recent issues page which says nothing about a general problem.

    http://mail.google.com/support/bin/static.py?page=known_issues.cs Gmail
    Known Issues - We're always working to resolve problems that come up in
    Gmail. If your problem is listed below, we're aware of the issue <list>

    Gmail (also) has a function for people with user/pass login problems
    http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=46346 What's
    preventing you from accessing Gmail? - My password doesn't seem to be
    working

    .... and then it has instructions for avoiding problems and/or recovering
    your password - depending on whether or not the username part was accepted.

    Your report here is quite incomplete regarding the process of having
    trouble with your user/pass. You didn't say whether the user part was
    accepted according to the troubleshooting process.

    I use a gmail pop and smtp and imap all the time and have had no
    problems. I recently had occasion to use the webmail login for a couple
    of gmail accounts and had no problems.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Mar 21, 2010
  5. Steve Freides

    Mike Easter Guest

    Mike Easter wrote:
    > Steve Freides wrote:
    >> Both my son and I have had issues in the last few days with gal
    >> passwords

    > Gmail has a recent issues page which says nothing about a general problem.

    Gmail's past issue shows that on Mar 10 for about an hour, a tiny
    percentage of users, 4 per 100,000 had trouble accessing.

    <q>
    Google Mail 3/10/10

    7:39 AM
    The problem with Google Mail should be resolved. We apologize for the
    inconvenience and thank you for your patience and continued support.

    6:54 AM
    We're experiencing an issue affecting less than 0.004% of the Google
    Mail user base. The affected users are unable to access Google Mail, but
    we've provided a workaround below. We will provide an update by March
    10, 2010 8:00:00 AM UTC-8 detailing when we expect to resolve the
    problem. Please note that this resolution time is an estimate and may
    change. Some users may resolve the issue by clearing cache and cookies.
    </q>

    Mathematically I would conclude that any problem which you had with your
    user/pass was due to PEBCAK - problem exist(ed) between chair and
    keyboard - likewise your son.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Mar 21, 2010
  6. Evan Platt wrote:
    > On Sat, 20 Mar 2010 19:46:19 -0400, "Steve Freides" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Both my son and I have had issues in the last few days with gal
    >> passwords - I had to reset mine, which stopped working for no
    >> apparent reason. He just had the same issue.

    > Certainly you got some sort of error message?
    >
    > What did that error message say?

    In both cases, it acted as if we input incorrect passwords, which we
    didn't.

    -S-

    Steve Freides, Mar 21, 2010
  7. Steve Freides

    Aardvark Guest

    On Sun, 21 Mar 2010 19:52:14 +0000, chuckcar wrote:

    > sucession

    WTF??????

    Aardvark, Mar 21, 2010
  8. Steve Freides

    chuckcar Guest

    "Steve Freides" <> wrote in

    > Evan Platt wrote:
    >> On Sat, 20 Mar 2010 19:46:19 -0400, "Steve Freides" <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Both my son and I have had issues in the last few days with gal
    >>> passwords - I had to reset mine, which stopped working for no
    >>> apparent reason. He just had the same issue.

    >> Certainly you got some sort of error message?
    >>
    >> What did that error message say?

    > In both cases, it acted as if we input incorrect passwords, which we
    > didn't.

    And how many times did you try and fail in sucession. I don't mean to harp
    on it, but if you can't see what you're actually typing in - as *is* the
    case with passwords, it can be anything from the caps lock being on to
    accidentally holding down the shift key at the wrong time or perhaps
    hitting two keys at once.

    Try typing (without anyone else around of course) it in notepad before you
    try it for real. Both you *and* your son. Do it as *fast* as you can type,
    just to try to force an error. Do that 20 times and then see how accurate
    you were. Turn off the monitor *just* before you start typing and turn it on
    when you're finished.

    Have you done a full scan of your computer for any trojans and malware?

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Mar 21, 2010
  9. Steve Freides

    Mike Easter Guest

    Steve Freides wrote:

    > In both cases, it acted as if we input incorrect passwords, which we
    > didn't.

    Or maybe you did (input wrong). If you input a *username* wrongly, it
    looks/acts like you input the wrong pass (but the alert says it might be
    the user or the pass). It/Gmail clears the pass field for you and/but
    leaves the (wrong) username in place. The natural tendency would be to
    keep putting the correct pass under the wrong username. Maybe gmail
    should clear them both.

    If you input a username correctly but the pass wrongly, it still looks
    like you input the wrong pass.

    You have to troubleshoot the dichotomy.

    What happened when you used the gmail troubleshooter for login problems,
    which is designed to distinguish these?

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Mar 21, 2010
  10. Steve Freides

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    On 21/03/2010 00:06, LD55ZRA wrote:
    > Could it be that I'm a top posting fuckwit?

    Yes

    Desk Rabbit, Mar 22, 2010
  11. Steve Freides

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    On 21/03/2010 19:52, chuckcar wrote:
    > "Steve Freides"<> wrote in
    >
    >> Evan Platt wrote:

    >>> Certainly you got some sort of error message?
    >>>
    >>> What did that error message say?

    >> In both cases, it acted as if we input incorrect passwords, which we
    >> didn't.
    >>

    > And how many times did you try and fail in sucession. I don't mean to harp
    > on it, but if you can't see what you're actually typing in - as *is* the
    > case with passwords, it can be anything from the caps lock being on to
    > accidentally holding down the shift key at the wrong time or perhaps
    > hitting two keys at once.
    >
    > Try typing (without anyone else around of course) it in notepad before you
    > try it for real. Both you *and* your son. Do it as *fast* as you can type,
    > just to try to force an error. Do that 20 times and then see how accurate
    > you were. Turn off the monitor *just* before you start typing and turn it on
    > when you're finished.

    WTF? 20 times? Turn off the monitor?

    Desk Rabbit, Mar 22, 2010