    seem to have any problems installing Win ME. Do the HDDs need to be
    installed in a certain configuration? Primary master, secondary slave etc?

    Thanks for any advice,

    T A R T, Jan 5, 2006

  2. T A R T

    steve Guest

    T A R T wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > We have a PC with two HDDs. We bought it from a friend and it came
    > pre-installed with his version of XP. There is just so much rubbish on our
    > system that I want to do a clean install of XP. I run the installation
    > straight from the CD at boot-up and the installation seems to start and
    > the necessary initial files are copied, but then after the first restart
    > we don't seem to go anywhere. I select Windows installation from the menu
    > and let it go. We just get a black screen with a flashing dash on the top
    > left side of the screen. Anyone have any idea what could be causing this?
    >
    > We removed the primary master HDD and replaced it with another to see if
    > the HDD was the problem, but we encountered the same problem. We don't
    > seem to have any problems installing Win ME. Do the HDDs need to be
    > installed in a certain configuration? Primary master, secondary slave etc?
    >
    > Thanks for any advice,

    Any chance you have an Epson printer connected and powered on?

    XP will not install if this is the case. It's in the README on my XP install
    CD.
    steve, Jan 5, 2006

  3. T A R T

    T A R T Guest

    On Thu, 05 Jan 2006 12:16:01 +0100, steve
    <> wrote:

    > Any chance you have an Epson printer connected and powered on?
    >
    > XP will not install if this is the case. It's in the README on my XP
    > install
    > CD.

    I did a search for epson software and came up with nothing. We don't have
    a printer installed and it doesn't look like the previous owner did either.

    I don't understand what could be causing the problem. I wonder if it has
    something to do with the fact that we have two HDDs in the system.

    My wife is a big beautiful Nubian queen. I prefer her any day to the media
    and fashion industry created ideal of a beautiful woman. Many African men
    regard and appreciate a plump, robust, and shapely female as a gracious
    gift from the holy hosts of heaven.

    Anthony Okosun, Baltimore, USA.
    T A R T, Jan 5, 2006
  4. T A R T

    Impossible Guest

    "T A R T " <> wrote in message

    > Hi all,
    >
    > We have a PC with two HDDs. We bought it from a friend and it came
    > pre-installed with his version of XP. There is just so much rubbish
    > on our system that I want to do a clean install of XP. I run the
    > installation straight from the CD at boot-up and the installation
    > seems to start and the necessary initial files are copied, but then
    > after the first restart we don't seem to go anywhere. I select
    > Windows installation from the menu and let it go. We just get a
    > black screen with a flashing dash on the top left side of the
    > screen. Anyone have any idea what could be causing this?
    >
    > We removed the primary master HDD and replaced it with another to
    > see if the HDD was the problem, but we encountered the same
    > problem. We don't seem to have any problems installing Win ME. Do
    > the HDDs need to be installed in a certain configuration? Primary
    > master, secondary slave etc?
    >
    > Thanks for any advice,

    You say that after the first restart you "select Windows installation
    from the menu and let it go". I'm not sure what menu you're referring
    to, because the XP installation should carry on from the restart
    without any user intervention -- it restarts automatically from the
    files intitially copied to your hard drive, not from the boot cd, so
    you should be ignoring any boot selection menu, if that's what you're
    seeing.
    Impossible, Jan 5, 2006
  5. T A R T

    T A R T Guest

    On Thu, 05 Jan 2006 21:50:22 +0100, Impossible
    <> wrote:

    > You say that after the first restart you "select Windows installation
    > from the menu and let it go". I'm not sure what menu you're referring
    > to, because the XP installation should carry on from the restart
    > without any user intervention -- it restarts automatically from the
    > files intitially copied to your hard drive, not from the boot cd, so
    > you should be ignoring any boot selection menu, if that's what you're
    > seeing.

    Right, I see. Let me tell you exactly what happens. I try to install using
    two methods:

    1) By booting straight from the CD- I get a blue screen where the
    installation files are copied from the cd to the HDD. Then I get a black
    screen with the flashing dash on the top left corner. I have tried leaving
    it for 30 minutes or so, wondering whether it may have something to do
    with the combined size of the two HDDs but have had no luck.

    2) I try installing straight from windows by inserting the cd and running
    setup.exe. Again, the files are copied. The version of Windows XP which is
    already on the system is XP Pro (English). I am attempting to install Win
    XP Home (Norwegian language version). Once the files are copied the system
    restarts and I get a brief menu which gives me the option of running Win
    XP Pro or the option of installing windows or the option of running Win
    2000 (which apparently was installed by the previous owner in a dual boot
    config but which no longer exists on the system.)

    I choose to install windows and then I get the blue screen that I mention
    above- some more files are copied and then the screen goes black and I get
    the dreaded flashing dash. It seems the installation is stopping at the
    same point regardless of which mode of installation I choose.

    Over the weekend I think I will try removing the 2nd HDD and use a simple
    config of 1st HDD as primary master and the CD as secondary master and
    attempt to install. I wonder again whether the problem has something to do
    with two HDDs. Do you think this is a viable alternative to try? If the
    installation does go through, I assume that adding the 2nd HDD should not
    be a problem.

    Thanks for responding.

    T A R T, Jan 6, 2006
  6. T A R T

    Impossible Guest

    "T A R T " <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 05 Jan 2006 21:50:22 +0100, Impossible
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >> You say that after the first restart you "select Windows
    >> installation
    >> from the menu and let it go". I'm not sure what menu you're
    >> referring
    >> to, because the XP installation should carry on from the restart
    >> without any user intervention -- it restarts automatically from the
    >> files intitially copied to your hard drive, not from the boot cd,
    >> so
    >> you should be ignoring any boot selection menu, if that's what
    >> you're
    >> seeing.
    >>

    > Right, I see. Let me tell you exactly what happens. I try to install
    > using two methods:
    >
    > 1) By booting straight from the CD- I get a blue screen where the
    > installation files are copied from the cd to the HDD. Then I get a
    > black screen with the flashing dash on the top left corner. I have
    > tried leaving it for 30 minutes or so, wondering whether it may
    > have something to do with the combined size of the two HDDs but
    > have had no luck.
    >
    > 2) I try installing straight from windows by inserting the cd and
    > running setup.exe. Again, the files are copied. The version of
    > Windows XP which is already on the system is XP Pro (English). I am
    > attempting to install Win XP Home (Norwegian language version).
    > Once the files are copied the system restarts and I get a brief
    > menu which gives me the option of running Win XP Pro or the option
    > of installing windows or the option of running Win 2000 (which
    > apparently was installed by the previous owner in a dual boot
    > config but which no longer exists on the system.)
    >
    > I choose to install windows and then I get the blue screen that I
    > mention above- some more files are copied and then the screen goes
    > black and I get the dreaded flashing dash. It seems the
    > installation is stopping at the same point regardless of which mode
    > of installation I choose.
    >
    > Over the weekend I think I will try removing the 2nd HDD and use a
    > simple config of 1st HDD as primary master and the CD as secondary
    > master and attempt to install. I wonder again whether the problem
    > has something to do with two HDDs. Do you think this is a viable
    > alternative to try? If the installation does go through, I assume
    > that adding the 2nd HDD should not be a problem.
    >
    > Thanks for responding.

    The clarification is helpful. I just wanted to be sure I understood
    you correctly.

    Since you don't mention any previous problems with your machine (other
    than the clutter of an old installation), I'm going to assume for now
    that you have no hardware issues, with your drives or anything else. A
    standard installation of XP will be on the C: drive, the first
    physical drive in your system, configured as master, but there are
    other possibilities that the XP setup program itself will identify for
    you, and any of these should work. Just check your bios to confirm
    that the drive you intend to install XP to is the first hard drive
    selected to boot from -- this is very important, otherwise XP setup
    will never find the installation files it just installed after a
    reboot.

    The one complication I see with your installation, and a potential
    source of trouble, is that you're attempting to install Windows XP
    Home to a machine that currently has Windows XP Pro. You can only do
    this as a "clean install" -- that is, reformatting the partition where
    XP Pro currently resides and installing XP Home there. Setup should be
    presenting this to you as a menu option, first asking you if you want
    to "repair" the existing XP Pro installation (No!) and then letting
    you select the new installation drive/partition. Is that what
    happened? Windows 2000 can stay on your machine as is, if you prefer.

    Just to be sure we're on the same page here about what a clean install
    involves, I'm going to suggest that you navigate to this site....

    http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sg_clean.asp

    and follow the step-by-step instructions with the accompanying setup
    screens.

    If you're still having trouble, feel free to check back here. Others
    may have better suggestions.
    Impossible, Jan 6, 2006
  7. T A R T

    Jerry Guest

    Impossible wrote:
> [...]

    > Home to a machine that currently has Windows XP Pro. You can only do
    > this as a "clean install" -- that is, reformatting the partition where
    > XP Pro currently resides and installing XP Home there. Setup should be
    > presenting this to you as a menu option, first asking you if you want
    > to "repair" the existing XP Pro installation (No!) and then letting
    > you select the new installation drive/partition. Is that what
    > happened? Windows 2000 can stay on your machine as is, if you prefer.
    >
    > Just to be sure we're on the same page here about what a clean install
    > involves, I'm going to suggest that you navigate to this site....
    >
    > http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sg_clean.asp
    >
    > and follow the step-by-step instructions with the accompanying setup
    > screens.
    >
    > If you're still having trouble, feel free to check back here. Others

    If she doesn't want anything that is now on the computer I'd advise
    deleting all the partitions, then create a new one on the drive she
    wants windows (probably the c: or primary drive) and then do a totallyt
    clean install.
    Jerry, Jan 6, 2006
  8. On Fri, 06 Jan 2006 10:17:24 +0100, T A R T wrote:

    Ok don't know if this helps but i had a problem that sounds exactly like
    that
    I did a full reinstall of windows with a full format and everything and it
    did the first part then it does a reboot and finishes the install from what
    it has installed on the drive but at that point it just presented me with a
    black screen

    I found the problem to be with my machine
    I have a HP Pavilion computer and before i purchased it and it had a
    faulty power supply that fried the MB so both where replaced but it seems
    the MB has an electronic Tattoo on it and this was not done to the
    replacement MB when the reinstall was started it checked for the tattoo and
    if not present it didn¬Ęt go on.

    I don't know if this is what's wrong with your machine but i mention it as
    a possibility .

    :)

    --
    Rimmer:
    So who do we entrust our lives to? Holly, with an IQ of over 12,000 and
    Robin Halligan, Jan 7, 2006
  9. T A R T

    Steve Guest

    On Sat, 07 Jan 2006 14:04:36 +1300, Robin Halligan wrote:

    > On Fri, 06 Jan 2006 10:17:24 +0100, T A R T wrote:
    >

    > Ok don't know if this helps but i had a problem that sounds exactly like
    > that
    > I did a full reinstall of windows with a full format and everything and it
    > did the first part then it does a reboot and finishes the install from what
    > it has installed on the drive but at that point it just presented me with a
    > black screen

    I was going to say something similar... I had a problem where it was the
    second stick of memory that was incompatible, and everything worked fine
    until that stick was accessed.

    Installing with half the memory worked fine.

    Steve
    Steve, Jan 7, 2006
  10. T A R T

    Rob J Guest

    In article <89b7hoic4bh1$>,
    says...
    > On Fri, 06 Jan 2006 10:17:24 +0100, T A R T wrote:
    >

    > Ok don't know if this helps but i had a problem that sounds exactly like
    > that
    > I did a full reinstall of windows with a full format and everything and it
    > did the first part then it does a reboot and finishes the install from what
    > it has installed on the drive but at that point it just presented me with a
    > black screen
    >
    > I found the problem to be with my machine
    > I have a HP Pavilion computer and before i purchased it and it had a
    > faulty power supply that fried the MB so both where replaced but it seems
    > the MB has an electronic Tattoo on it and this was not done to the
    > replacement MB when the reinstall was started it checked for the tattoo and
    > if not present it didn=3Ft go on.
    >
    > I don't know if this is what's wrong with your machine but i mention it as
    > a possibility .

    I presume you mean a reinstall from disks HP supplied. These are locked
    to a particular type of motherboard, and in fact this is commonplace
    with recovery or rescue type disks.
    Rob J, Jan 7, 2006
  11. T A R T

    T A R T Guest

    On Fri, 06 Jan 2006 22:04:57 +0100, Jerry <> wrote:

    > If she doesn't want anything that is now on the computer I'd advise
    > deleting all the partitions, then create a new one on the drive she
    > wants windows (probably the c: or primary drive) and then do a totallyt
    > clean install.

    And that is what I did. I also removed the 2nd HDD to make things simple.
    XP home seems to have installed ok. Now I'm not sure what to do about the
    other HDD.. do I just add it as a secondary master? Do I need to configure
    the BIOS? Does XP detect new HDDs?

    Thanks all for the help, much appreciated.

    T A R T, Jan 9, 2006
  12. T A R T

    Jerry Guest

    T A R T wrote:
    > On Fri, 06 Jan 2006 22:04:57 +0100, Jerry <> wrote:
    >

    >> If she doesn't want anything that is now on the computer I'd advise
    >> deleting all the partitions, then create a new one on the drive she
    >> wants windows (probably the c: or primary drive) and then do a
    >> totallyt clean install.

    > And that is what I did. I also removed the 2nd HDD to make things
    > simple. XP home seems to have installed ok. Now I'm not sure what to do
    > about the other HDD.. do I just add it as a secondary master? Do I need
    > to configure the BIOS? Does XP detect new HDDs?

    If you just install it, it should work fine, XP will pick it up. Ont
    thing I thought of, make sure the drive jumpered master is on the end of
    the IDE cable, and the slave is in the middle. In theory it shouldn't
    matter, but often it seems to. That, or jumper both to cable select,
    and put the master drive on the end of the cable.

    Jerry, Jan 9, 2006
  13. T A R T

    ~misfit~ Guest

    T A R T wrote:
    > On Fri, 06 Jan 2006 22:04:57 +0100, Jerry <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> If she doesn't want anything that is now on the computer I'd advise
    >> deleting all the partitions, then create a new one on the drive she
    >> wants windows (probably the c: or primary drive) and then do a
    >> totallyt clean install.

    > And that is what I did. I also removed the 2nd HDD to make things
    > simple. XP home seems to have installed ok. Now I'm not sure what to
    > do about the other HDD.. do I just add it as a secondary master? Do I
    > need to configure the BIOS? Does XP detect new HDDs?

    Secondary master, primary slave or secondary slave (If CD-ROM secondary
    master). It doesn't matter really as long as it's correctly set up. Master
    on end of cable, slave in middle. If only one drive on controller set it to
    master.

    As for the BIOS, that depends on the age of the machine mainly. I would
    think, as it's running XP, it should auto-detect. However, you may have to
    hit (probably) <delete> just after the start-up beep and then hit enter to
    take you to the first screen and see if the four drive positions are set to
    'auto'. (If there is no drive present, or just a CD-ROM in one/any of the
    positions you can set them to 'none' if you like, it speeds up the boot
    time).

    If you have to make changes in the BIOS, select 'save and exit' from first
    screen (<escape> back to first screen), or <F10>, <y>, <enter>.

    XP will automatically find the drive, often even if the BIOS doesn't. Best
    bet, if there's nothing on the drive you want, is, on first starting the PC
    after fitting the drive, right-click 'My Computer', select 'manage', click
    'disk management' in the left pane, then select the drive and format it.

    > Thanks all for the help, much appreciated.

    Hope it goes well for ya.
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Jan 9, 2006