Trouble starting PC with Window7

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Chaudhry, Apr 3, 2010.

  1. Chaudhry

    Chaudhry Guest

    Hi,

    When I switch on my PC, then I get the basic starting up information and it
    goes blank. After a while only pointer appears and no log-in box where I
    should put my password.

    Nothing than pointer.

    Then, I shut the PC from the switch and after a while it closes.

    After say 5 minutes, I start again. Then if I am lucky the box with log-in
    appears or it goes back to pointer again. Today, I tried three times before
    I could get the log-in box for inserting my Password.

    I bought this new PC from Aldi and it is Medion.

    How could you help me please?

    Rajinder Nijjhar

    Chaudhry, Apr 3, 2010

  2. Chaudhry

    chuckcar Guest

    "Chaudhry" <> wrote in

    > Hi,
    >
    > When I switch on my PC, then I get the basic starting up information
    > and it goes blank. After a while only pointer appears and no log-in
    > box where I should put my password.

    Post *exactly* what the last thing you see on the screen says before the
    screen goes blank when booting.

    > Nothing than pointer.
    >
    > Then, I shut the PC from the switch and after a while it closes.
    >
    > After say 5 minutes, I start again. Then if I am lucky the box with
    > log-in appears or it goes back to pointer again. Today, I tried three
    > times before I could get the log-in box for inserting my Password.
    >
    > I bought this new PC from Aldi and it is Medion.
    >
    > How could you help me please?

    How many times have you done this hard shutdown?

    Do you get *any* messages at all once the pointer appears to when it's
    finished booting?

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Apr 3, 2010

  3. Chaudhry

    Tigger Guest

    Chaudhry writted thus:

    > Hi,
    >
    > When I switch on my PC, then I get the basic starting up information and
    > it goes blank. After a while only pointer appears and no log-in box
    > where I should put my password.
    >
    > Nothing than pointer.
    >
    > Then, I shut the PC from the switch and after a while it closes.
    >
    > After say 5 minutes, I start again. Then if I am lucky the box with
    > log-in appears or it goes back to pointer again. Today, I tried three
    > times before I could get the log-in box for inserting my Password.
    >
    > I bought this new PC from Aldi and it is Medion.
    >
    > How could you help me please?
    >
    > Rajinder Nijjhar

    My son bought one of these last week from Aldi, similar problems.
    Take the whole lot apart and reassemble it, seating all the cables and
    RAM firmly. Ours was loose and badly assembled.
    If you don't know how to approach doing this sensibly, just return it.

    Tigger, Apr 3, 2010
  4. Hi,

    "Evan Platt" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 3 Apr 2010 15:45:06 +0100, "Chaudhry"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>Hi,
    >>
    >>When I switch on my PC, then I get the basic starting up information and
    >>it
    >>goes blank.

    > The basic starting up information being - what? The BIOS? Some Windows
    > Screen?

    Log in screen appears.

    >>After a while only pointer appears and no log-in box where I
    >>should put my password.
    >>
    >>Nothing than pointer.
    >>
    >>Then, I shut the PC from the switch and after a while it closes.

    > Wait - so you shut the pc from the switch, and there's a delay before
    > it closes? Is this a laptop?

    It is a desk top please. Yes. There is a delay.

    Is it O.K. to switch it off the mains or the press button?

    >>After say 5 minutes, I start again. Then if I am lucky the box with log-in
    >>appears or it goes back to pointer again. Today, I tried three times
    >>before
    >>I could get the log-in box for inserting my Password.
    >>
    >>I bought this new PC from Aldi and it is Medion.
    >>
    >>How could you help me please?

    > Return the computer. Get one that works.

    Seems to be the teething trouble with Windows 7.

    Rajinder

    Rajinder Nijjhar, Apr 3, 2010
  5. "chuckcar" <> wrote in message
    > "Chaudhry" <> wrote in
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> When I switch on my PC, then I get the basic starting up information
    >> and it goes blank. After a while only pointer appears and no log-in
    >> box where I should put my password.
    >>

    > Post *exactly* what the last thing you see on the screen says before the
    > screen goes blank when booting.
    >
    >> Nothing than pointer.
    >>
    >> Then, I shut the PC from the switch and after a while it closes.
    >>
    >> After say 5 minutes, I start again. Then if I am lucky the box with
    >> log-in appears or it goes back to pointer again. Today, I tried three
    >> times before I could get the log-in box for inserting my Password.
    >>
    >> I bought this new PC from Aldi and it is Medion.
    >>
    >> How could you help me please?
    >>

    > How many times have you done this hard shutdown?
    >
    > Do you get *any* messages at all once the pointer appears to when it's
    > finished booting?

    Pointer appears when it has finished booting. Blank black screen with white
    pointer shining.

    Rajinder

    Rajinder Nijjhar, Apr 3, 2010
  6. Hi Tony,

    I can't believe that they do such a bad job. Then why it works some times
    please?

    Rajinder

    Rajinder Nijjhar, Apr 3, 2010
  7. Chaudhry

    John Holmes Guest

    Chaudhry "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > Hi,
    >
    > When I switch on my PC, then I get the basic starting up information
    > and it goes blank. After a while only pointer appears and no log-in
    > box where I should put my password.
    >
    > Nothing than pointer.
    >
    > Then, I shut the PC from the switch and after a while it closes.
    >
    > After say 5 minutes, I start again. Then if I am lucky the box with
    > log-in appears or it goes back to pointer again. Today, I tried three
    > times before I could get the log-in box for inserting my Password.
    >
    > I bought this new PC from Aldi and it is Medion.
    >
    > How could you help me please?
    >
    > Rajinder Nijjhar

    Have you brushed your teeth, you smelly old sikh?

    --
    <snip>

    John Holmes, Apr 3, 2010
  8. Chaudhry

    chuckcar Guest

    "Rajinder Nijjhar" <> wrote in

    > "chuckcar" <> wrote in message
    >> "Chaudhry" <> wrote in
    >>
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> When I switch on my PC, then I get the basic starting up information
    >>> and it goes blank. After a while only pointer appears and no log-in
    >>> box where I should put my password.
    >>>

    >> Post *exactly* what the last thing you see on the screen says before
    >> the screen goes blank when booting.
    >>
    >>> Nothing than pointer.

    *BEFORE* that as I said.

    >>> Then, I shut the PC from the switch and after a while it closes.
    >>>
    >>> After say 5 minutes, I start again. Then if I am lucky the box with
    >>> log-in appears or it goes back to pointer again. Today, I tried
    >>> three times before I could get the log-in box for inserting my
    >>> Password.
    >>>
    >>> I bought this new PC from Aldi and it is Medion.
    >>>
    >>> How could you help me please?
    >>>

    >> How many times have you done this hard shutdown?
    >>
    >> Do you get *any* messages at all once the pointer appears to when
    >> it's finished booting?

    > Pointer appears when it has finished booting. Blank black screen with
    > white pointer shining.

    Yes, we *all* got that bit. Several times.

    If you go into the BIOS does the computer detect the drives ok when you
    have it try to id them? Do you have anything plugged into the USB port
    besides a mouse and keyboard? Have you added any internal cards to the
    computer? Do you get *any* error messages of *any* sort? When *exactly*
    did this start happening? Do you know the rating of the power supply
    and/or the exact model of computer?

    Tell us *something* useful.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Apr 4, 2010
  9. Chaudhry

    Tigger Guest

    Rajinder Nijjhar writted thus:

    > Hi Tony,
    >
    > I can't believe that they do such a bad job. Then why it works some
    > times please?
    >
    > Rajinder

    <snip>

    ok then, wait a minute... hold on....
    No, my crystal ball isn't telling me anything here....

    Tigger, Apr 4, 2010
  10. Chaudhry

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    On 03/04/2010 19:14, Rajinder Nijjhar wrote:
    > Hi Tony,
    >
    > I can't believe that they do such a bad job. Then why it works some times
    > please?

    You buy a cheap computer from a grocer and you wonder why it doesn't
    work properly?

    ROFL!

    Desk Rabbit, Apr 5, 2010
  11. On Mon, 05 Apr 2010 15:02:00 -0700, Evan Platt
    <> wrote:

    >On Mon, 05 Apr 2010 22:56:24 +0100, Desk Rabbit <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>You buy a cheap computer from a grocer and you wonder why it doesn't
    >>work properly?
    >>
    >>ROFL!

    >Yep. I guess no one got my sarcasm when someone asked about those a
    >week or so ago. Someone asked about the computer going on sale at Aldi
    >or whatever they are.
    >
    >My response:
    >
    >"That's the big supermarket in the UK, right?"
    >
    >I mean serious, going to a supermarket. To get a computer.
    >
    >"That will be 2 pounds of apples and one Apple."

    I order all my weekly shopping on the web site of a UK supermarket
    chain. When I wanted a laptop I just added it to the weekly order. It
    was all delivered on the following day.

    The laptop is a Samsung and the apples are Gala.

    The very big UK supermarkets sell everything from apples to houses.

    Steve

    Neural network applications, help and support.

    Stephen Wolstenholme, Apr 6, 2010