    start in safe mode. I start in safe mode, shutdown and restart then all is
    fine. I'm suspecting something wrong with video card. What do you all think?
    Windows XP, Radeon video card.

    striker, Jan 18, 2008

  2. striker

    striker Guest

    This computer is over 3 years old and has been working fine till the other
    day. No changes had been made to the computer. I'm wondering if updating the
    drivers for video card would help but don't think so.

    striker, Jan 18, 2008

  3. striker

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2008-01-18, striker <> wrote:
    > "striker" <> wrote in message
    >> First try to start cold computer, goes through everything normal, shows
    >> starting windows, then no signal to monitor, restarts and ask's if I want
    >> to start in safe mode. I start in safe mode, shutdown and restart then all
    >> is fine. I'm suspecting something wrong with video card. What do you all
    >> think? Windows XP, Radeon video card.

    > This computer is over 3 years old and has been working fine till the other
    > day. No changes had been made to the computer. I'm wondering if updating the
    > drivers for video card would help but don't think so.

    It would worth replacing the on-board battery that keeps the CMOS memory
    'alive' for the BIOS; if that has gone flat, or is on its last legs, the
    first attempt at booting the computer might be just enough to revive it and
    get the machine to start normally at the next attempt. Once you've
    eliminated that as a possible problem, start thinking about hardware
    failure such as RAM or hard disc which work OK when warm but not from cold
    - while you have the cabinet open, make sure the RAM and other cards and
    leads for the disc drives are not loose.

    'Earth' your hands before you touch any of the componments inside the
    cabinet. Firmly grasping a bare metal part of the 'chassis' before doing
    anything else seems to have worked for me so far, but there are 'proper'
    earth straps that you can use to connect your hands to the chassis. Don't
    have the machine connected to the mains while doing any of this!

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Jan 18, 2008
  4. striker

    striker Guest

    I can replace the cmos battery, done that before. My thinking is still with
    the video card, the drivers are not loading at startup. How can I check
    that?

    striker, Jan 18, 2008
  5. striker

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2008-01-18, striker <> wrote:
    > I can replace the cmos battery, done that before. My thinking is still with
    > the video card, the drivers are not loading at startup.

    What would have changed to make that start happening? Why would 'safe
    mode' work and normal mode then work on reboot if you haven't changed
    anything? Think back to what changes were made just before this problem
    started - eg installing or updating some other software? Windows Update?

    > How can I check
    > that?

    [...]

    That sounds like a question for someone familiar with whatever your
    version of Windows is. Can you examine or change the order in which
    different processes are started?

    It sounds as though your video drivers are working as well as ever once
    they get started, so installing new video drivers doesn't seem to be
    called for. I still lean towards a possible hardware fault, although
    Windows can be weird when you change anything.

    If you have access to a bootable CD or DVD of 'trouble-shooting' software,
    or a LiveCD Linux distro, it would be worth using that to see if the same
    symptoms happen when the machine is cold, or if any hardware problems are
    detected.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Jan 18, 2008
  6. striker

    bk Guest

    striker wrote:
    > First try to start cold computer, goes through everything normal, shows
    > starting windows, then no signal to monitor, restarts and ask's if I want to
    > start in safe mode. I start in safe mode, shutdown and restart then all is
    > fine. I'm suspecting something wrong with video card. What do you all think?
    > Windows XP, Radeon video card.

    Probably the graphics drivers... while in save mode, see if you can't
    uninstall them. Use the Radeon uninstaller in the add or remove programs
    section in the control panel. If not, right click on your 'my computer'
    section and go to properties. Click on the Hardware tab. Then, click on
    the button that says 'device manager.' Find your video card in this
    list, and then right click it and choose 'uninstall.' Answer yes to
    every question it asks, and then restart. Hopefully that will do the trick.

    bk, Jan 18, 2008
  7. striker

    Guest

    "striker" <> wrote:

    >I can replace the cmos battery, done that before. My thinking is still with
    >the video card, the drivers are not loading at startup. How can I check
    >that?

    Do you enter safe mode? Then the windows VGA video drivers have
    loaded. Next time don't say yes to safe mode.

    --

    Nudists charged in sexual assault
    of 12,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 boys

    , Jan 18, 2008
  8. striker

    striker Guest

    That did the trick Whiskers, changed the battery and this morning it started
    fine. Thanks for the help.

    striker, Jan 19, 2008
  9. striker

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2008-01-19, striker <> wrote:
    > That did the trick Whiskers, changed the battery and this morning it started
    > fine. Thanks for the help.

    Glad it was cheap and easy :))

    --
    -- Whiskers