Trouble setting up new email account

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Boppy, May 9, 2007.

  1. Boppy

    Boppy Guest

    I work from home and one of my clients has given me one of their
    company email addresses to use since we've had such difficulty
    communicating through Xtra despite their being both our ISP.

    However, I cannot seem to get things working and Xtra's helpdesk were
    their usual misnomic selves.

    What I have been given is but I suspect this may
    be an alias for because the latter is what I
    see on the main screen when I log in through Xtra's webmail.

    I'm a Seamonkey user, but in this instance I'm going to use Outlook
    2007 to keep things separate. So under Tools/Account Settings Xtra
    said since we have a non-xtra domain address, we need to use
    "officemail" as our pop3 and smtp server names. Yet each time I try to
    test account settings it fails. Using .xtra.co.nz doesn't work either
    - I am just continually asked for my username and password and never
    get anywhere.

    What do other users put in as server settings when you are Xtra
    customers but you have @adifferent company as your email address?

    Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me get this running.

    Boppy, May 9, 2007

  2. Boppy wrote:
    > I work from home and one of my clients has given me one of their
    > company email addresses to use since we've had such difficulty
    > communicating through Xtra despite their being both our ISP.
    >
    > However, I cannot seem to get things working and Xtra's helpdesk were
    > their usual misnomic selves.
    >
    > What I have been given is but I suspect this may
    > be an alias for because the latter is what I
    > see on the main screen when I log in through Xtra's webmail.
    >
    > I'm a Seamonkey user, but in this instance I'm going to use Outlook
    > 2007 to keep things separate. So under Tools/Account Settings Xtra
    > said since we have a non-xtra domain address, we need to use
    > "officemail" as our pop3 and smtp server names. Yet each time I try to
    > test account settings it fails. Using .xtra.co.nz doesn't work either
    > - I am just continually asked for my username and password and never
    > get anywhere.
    >
    > What do other users put in as server settings when you are Xtra
    > customers but you have @adifferent company as your email address?
    >
    > Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me get this running.

    Create a second account for the configured to use
    pop3.company.co.nz.

    Use the company.co.nz smtp server if you can.

    Talk to their mail admin for help setting it up.

    You may still need to use the xtra smtp server for your new account depending
    on how the company.co.nz mailserver is configured.
    Mark Robinson, May 9, 2007

  3. Boppy

    Boppy Guest

    On May 9, 7:36 pm, Mark Robinson <2tod.net> wrote:
    > Boppy wrote:
    > > I work from home and one of my clients has given me one of their
    > > company email addresses to use since we've had such difficulty
    > > communicating through Xtra despite their being both our ISP.

    > > However, I cannot seem to get things working and Xtra's helpdesk were
    > > their usual misnomic selves.

    > > What I have been given is but I suspect this may
    > > be an alias for because the latter is what I
    > > see on the main screen when I log in through Xtra's webmail.

    > > I'm a Seamonkey user, but in this instance I'm going to use Outlook
    > > 2007 to keep things separate. So under Tools/Account Settings Xtra
    > > said since we have a non-xtra domain address, we need to use
    > > "officemail" as our pop3 and smtp server names. Yet each time I try to
    > > test account settings it fails. Using .xtra.co.nz doesn't work either
    > > - I am just continually asked for my username and password and never
    > > get anywhere.

    > > What do other users put in as server settings when you are Xtra
    > > customers but you have @adifferent company as your email address?

    > > Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me get this running.

    > Create a second account for the configured to use
    > pop3.company.co.nz.
    >
    > Use the company.co.nz smtp server if you can.
    >
    > Talk to their mail admin for help setting it up.
    >
    > You may still need to use the xtra smtp server for your new account depending
    > on how the company.co.nz mailserver is configured.

    Thanks for replying. That's one of the configurations I have already
    tried and got errors on. The company doesn't have a tech person, and
    when they have email issues they ring the Xtra "help" desk.
    Boppy, May 9, 2007
  4. Boppy

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Boppy <> wrote in news:1178698048.144155.197340
    @y5g2000hsa.googlegroups.com:

    > Thanks for replying. That's one of the configurations I have already
    > tried and got errors on. The company doesn't have a tech person, and
    > when they have email issues they ring the Xtra "help" desk.

    What errors?

    Try telnet to port 25 and 110 to make sure you can even get to the domain
    name.

    --
    Ciao, Dave
    Dave Taylor, May 9, 2007
  5. Boppy

    Martin Guest

    "Dave Taylor" <> wrote in message
    > Boppy <> wrote in news:1178698048.144155.197340
    > @y5g2000hsa.googlegroups.com:
    >
    >> Thanks for replying. That's one of the configurations I have already
    >> tried and got errors on. The company doesn't have a tech person, and
    >> when they have email issues they ring the Xtra "help" desk.

    > What errors?
    >
    > Try telnet to port 25 and 110 to make sure you can even get to the domain
    > name.
    >
    > --
    > Ciao, Dave

    Just use the standard pop3.xtra.co.nz and smtp.xtra.co.nz - the new settings
    that Xtra informed domain holders about don't actually work yet....

    Use as your username, if that doesn't work, use
    company05

    Dave is right though - to test connectivity use telnet pop3.xtra.co.nz 110 -
    if you get a response all is ok, if you get Connecting To
    pop3.xtra.co.nz...Could not open connection to the host then all is bad (-:
    (same test for smtp.xtra.co.nz)
    Martin, May 9, 2007
  6. Boppy

    Boppy Guest

    On May 9, 7:12 pm, Boppy <> wrote:
    > I work from home and one of my clients has given me one of their
    > company email addresses to use since we've had such difficulty
    > communicating through Xtra despite their being both our ISP.
    >
    > However, I cannot seem to get things working and Xtra's helpdesk were
    > their usual misnomic selves.
    >
    > What I have been given is but I suspect this may
    > be an alias for because the latter is what I
    > see on the main screen when I log in through Xtra's webmail.
    >
    > I'm a Seamonkey user, but in this instance I'm going to use Outlook
    > 2007 to keep things separate. So under Tools/Account Settings Xtra
    > said since we have a non-xtra domain address, we need to use
    > "officemail" as our pop3 and smtp server names. Yet each time I try to
    > test account settings it fails. Using .xtra.co.nz doesn't work either
    > - I am just continually asked for my username and password and never
    > get anywhere.
    >
    > What do other users put in as server settings when you are Xtra
    > customers but you have @adifferent company as your email address?
    >
    > Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me get this running.

    Thanks for the replies. In the end I was lucky enough to get a smart
    operator on the phone when I next called the Xtra help desk and the
    problem had been having the @company.co.nz after my username in
    account set up. Still it took a few attempts at different convolutions
    of pop3 and smtp options.
    Cheers,
    Boppy, May 10, 2007