    Is it still too big or do I have a setting incorrect somewhere?

    I'm using XP.

    thanks Tana
    Tana, Jul 23, 2006

  2. Tana

    gwtc Guest

    Tana wrote:
    > First time trying to send 2x mp3s as attachments.
    > One is 6658kb and other 2846kb.
    >
    > First off Thunderbird refused because I was over the global limit.
    > Is there a size limit for attachments?
    >
    > Then I dropped one and it knocked me back again.
    >
    > "Sending failed because connecting to SMTP server failed.
    > Server unavailable or refusing SMTP connections.
    > Recommended checking settings or contact administrator."
    >
    > Is it still too big or do I have a setting incorrect somewhere?
    >
    > I'm using XP.
    >
    > thanks Tana

    size limits depend on 2 things, both of which are not TBs fault. The
    first one is your email provider limits the size. The other is the
    receiver.

    As for your 2nd question, contact your email provider.

    As for sending, learn to zip files and make them smaller. If they're
    still too big, then get yourself a file splitter. The one I like is
    chainsaw. When the other side gets the files, all they have to do is
    click on the bat file and the files are put togother automatically.
    They don't have to pussy-foot around:
    http://www.frankenwandern.de/software/chainsaw.html

    --
    So, You Think You Know Everything?

    Did you know that Al Capone's business card said he was a used
    furniture dealer.
    gwtc, Jul 23, 2006

  3. Tana

    Olgierd Guest

    *gwtc* wrote:

    > size limits depend on 2 things, both of which are not TBs fault. The
    > first one is your email provider limits the size. The other is the
    > receiver.

    This is a known 'feature' that sometimes Thunderbird may have problems
    with sending big files, especially when running on a PC with antivirus
    software checking outgoing mail. Once I supposed this might depend on the
    provider but I never have such problems after I switched to Linux.

    > As for sending, learn to zip files and make them smaller.

    The mp3 files can be hardly zipped.

    --
    pozdrawiam serdecznie, Olgierd
    ||| JID:eek: ||| http://olgierd.wordpress.com |||
    Olgierd, Jul 23, 2006
  4. Tana

    gwtc Guest

    Olgierd wrote:
    > *gwtc* wrote:
    >
    >> size limits depend on 2 things, both of which are not TBs fault. The
    >> first one is your email provider limits the size. The other is the
    >> receiver.

    > This is a known 'feature' that sometimes Thunderbird may have problems
    > with sending big files, especially when running on a PC with antivirus
    > software checking outgoing mail. Once I supposed this might depend on the
    > provider but I never have such problems after I switched to Linux.
    >
    >> As for sending, learn to zip files and make them smaller.

    > The mp3 files can be hardly zipped.

    why do you have an av checking outgoing mail? Disable it. Its only
    incoming mail you want to check, not outgoing!

    gwtc, Jul 23, 2006
  5. Tana

    Ed Mullen Guest

    gwtc wrote:
    > Tana wrote:
    >> First time trying to send 2x mp3s as attachments.
    >> One is 6658kb and other 2846kb.
    >>
    >> First off Thunderbird refused because I was over the global limit.
    >> Is there a size limit for attachments?
    >>
    >> Then I dropped one and it knocked me back again.
    >>
    >> "Sending failed because connecting to SMTP server failed.
    >> Server unavailable or refusing SMTP connections.
    >> Recommended checking settings or contact administrator."
    >>
    >> Is it still too big or do I have a setting incorrect somewhere?
    >>
    >> I'm using XP.
    >>
    >> thanks Tana

    > size limits depend on 2 things, both of which are not TBs fault. The
    > first one is your email provider limits the size. The other is the
    > receiver.
    >
    > As for your 2nd question, contact your email provider.
    >
    > As for sending, learn to zip files and make them smaller. If they're
    > still too big, then get yourself a file splitter. The one I like is
    > chainsaw. When the other side gets the files, all they have to do is
    > click on the bat file and the files are put togother automatically. They
    > don't have to pussy-foot around:
    > http://www.frankenwandern.de/software/chainsaw.html

    For those who don't know, when you attach a binary file to an email you
    can't simply look at the size of the file. There is overhead involved
    in encoding the attachment so that it can be sent as a plain text email
    over the Internet. If your ISP's size limit for an individual email is
    10Mb you probably will not be able to attach a 9Mb file without the
    resulting email being larger than 10Mb.

    Zipping files like .mp3, .wma, .jpg, etc. won't gain any appreciable
    savings since the formats are already compressed. For example, I just
    zipped an .mp3 file. Original size = 1,964Kb. Zipped (using Winzip and
    Max Portable compression) size = 1,835Kb.

    As you advise, splitting such a file is the way to go if you think the
    resulting email will be larger than your (or your recipient's) size limit.

    FWIW, I use Winzip and it will split a zip file and also create an
    auto-extracting archive so the recipient doesn't have to have Winzip to
    unpack the archive.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net
    Ed Mullen, Jul 23, 2006
  6. Tana

    Ed Mullen Guest

    Ed Mullen wrote:
    > gwtc wrote:
    >> Tana wrote:
    >>> First time trying to send 2x mp3s as attachments.
    >>> One is 6658kb and other 2846kb.
    >>>
    >>> First off Thunderbird refused because I was over the global limit.
    >>> Is there a size limit for attachments?
    >>>
    >>> Then I dropped one and it knocked me back again.
    >>>
    >>> "Sending failed because connecting to SMTP server failed.
    >>> Server unavailable or refusing SMTP connections.
    >>> Recommended checking settings or contact administrator."
    >>>
    >>> Is it still too big or do I have a setting incorrect somewhere?
    >>>
    >>> I'm using XP.
    >>>
    >>> thanks Tana

    >> size limits depend on 2 things, both of which are not TBs fault. The
    >> first one is your email provider limits the size. The other is the
    >> receiver.
    >>
    >> As for your 2nd question, contact your email provider.
    >>
    >> As for sending, learn to zip files and make them smaller. If they're
    >> still too big, then get yourself a file splitter. The one I like is
    >> chainsaw. When the other side gets the files, all they have to do is
    >> click on the bat file and the files are put togother automatically.
    >> They don't have to pussy-foot around:
    >> http://www.frankenwandern.de/software/chainsaw.html
    >>

    > For those who don't know, when you attach a binary file to an email you
    > can't simply look at the size of the file. There is overhead involved
    > in encoding the attachment so that it can be sent as a plain text email
    > over the Internet. If your ISP's size limit for an individual email is
    > 10Mb you probably will not be able to attach a 9Mb file without the
    > resulting email being larger than 10Mb.
    >
    > Zipping files like .mp3, .wma, .jpg, etc. won't gain any appreciable
    > savings since the formats are already compressed. For example, I just
    > zipped an .mp3 file. Original size = 1,964Kb. Zipped (using Winzip and
    > Max Portable compression) size = 1,835Kb.
    >
    > As you advise, splitting such a file is the way to go if you think the
    > resulting email will be larger than your (or your recipient's) size limit.
    >
    > FWIW, I use Winzip and it will split a zip file and also create an
    > auto-extracting archive so the recipient doesn't have to have Winzip to
    > unpack the archive.

    As a further illustration ...

    Empty email (no body text) with an attached file of 8,782Kb. The
    resulting email is 11,602Kb. The overhead is over 25%.

    And you won't normally know how big the email is until after you send
    it. Further, I think most ISPs will not reject the message for being too
    big until you've already sent the whole thing and then get an email with
    an "undeliverable" message in it. If in doubt about the size, compose
    the email then Save it as a Draft. Go the draft folder and check the
    size. If it's below the limit you can send it from there. If it's too
    big you can break the file into smaller chunks and send it in more than
    one email.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net
    Ed Mullen, Jul 23, 2006
  7. Tana

    HellPopeHuey Guest

    gwtc wrote:

    > As for sending, learn to zip files and make them smaller. If they're
    > still too big, then get yourself a file splitter. The one I like is
    > chainsaw. When the other side gets the files, all they have to do is
    > click on the bat file and the files are put togother automatically. They
    > don't have to pussy-foot around:
    > http://www.frankenwandern.de/software/chainsaw.html

    Excellent tip. I have a real need for such an item, but no luck so
    far. Does anyone know of a Mac OS X version of a similar utility? I'll
    Search under 'file splitter," which I had not yet thought to do, but a
    URL would speed it up. Thanks for adding useful info to the stash.

    --

    HellPope Huey
    Reading alt.slack on Usenet

    "Jeb says he won't come down from the tree
    until you agree
    to play football for the Methodists."
    ~ "To Kill A Mockingbird"

    Occasionally in life, there are those moments
    of unutterable fulfillment
    which cannot be completely explained
    by those symbols called words.
    Their meanings can only be articulated by
    the inaudible language of the heart.
    ~ Martin Luther King, Jr.

    http://acksisofevil.org/audio/inner106.mp3
    http://news.yahoo.com/comics/coffee
    Yeti home of the gods:
    http://www.vrseattle.com/pages/browse.php?cat_id=845
    HellPopeHuey, Jul 23, 2006
  8. Tana

    Olgierd Guest

    *gwtc* wrote:

    > why do you have an av checking outgoing mail? Disable it. Its only
    > incoming mail you want to check, not outgoing!

    Me? I do not use any antivirus software! I don't have to ;-)

    Olgierd, Jul 23, 2006
  9. Tana

    gwtc Guest

    Ed Mullen wrote:
    > gwtc wrote:
    >> Tana wrote:
    >>> First time trying to send 2x mp3s as attachments.
    >>> One is 6658kb and other 2846kb.
    >>>
    >>> First off Thunderbird refused because I was over the global limit.
    >>> Is there a size limit for attachments?
    >>>
    >>> Then I dropped one and it knocked me back again.
    >>>
    >>> "Sending failed because connecting to SMTP server failed.
    >>> Server unavailable or refusing SMTP connections.
    >>> Recommended checking settings or contact administrator."
    >>>
    >>> Is it still too big or do I have a setting incorrect somewhere?
    >>>
    >>> I'm using XP.
    >>>
    >>> thanks Tana

    >> size limits depend on 2 things, both of which are not TBs fault. The
    >> first one is your email provider limits the size. The other is the
    >> receiver.
    >>
    >> As for your 2nd question, contact your email provider.
    >>
    >> As for sending, learn to zip files and make them smaller. If they're
    >> still too big, then get yourself a file splitter. The one I like is
    >> chainsaw. When the other side gets the files, all they have to do is
    >> click on the bat file and the files are put togother automatically. They
    >> don't have to pussy-foot around:
    >> http://www.frankenwandern.de/software/chainsaw.html
    >>

    > For those who don't know, when you attach a binary file to an email you
    > can't simply look at the size of the file. There is overhead involved
    > in encoding the attachment so that it can be sent as a plain text email
    > over the Internet. If your ISP's size limit for an individual email is
    > 10Mb you probably will not be able to attach a 9Mb file without the
    > resulting email being larger than 10Mb.
    >
    > Zipping files like .mp3, .wma, .jpg, etc. won't gain any appreciable
    > savings since the formats are already compressed. For example, I just
    > zipped an .mp3 file. Original size = 1,964Kb. Zipped (using Winzip and
    > Max Portable compression) size = 1,835Kb.
    >
    > As you advise, splitting such a file is the way to go if you think the
    > resulting email will be larger than your (or your recipient's) size limit.
    >
    > FWIW, I use Winzip and it will split a zip file and also create an
    > auto-extracting archive so the recipient doesn't have to have Winzip to
    > unpack the archive.

    what version of winzip does that? Mine, 7.0, doesn't.

    gwtc, Jul 23, 2006
  10. Tana

    gwtc Guest

    HellPopeHuey wrote:
    > gwtc wrote:
    >
    >> As for sending, learn to zip files and make them smaller. If they're
    >> still too big, then get yourself a file splitter. The one I like is
    >> chainsaw. When the other side gets the files, all they have to do is
    >> click on the bat file and the files are put togother automatically. They
    >> don't have to pussy-foot around:
    >> http://www.frankenwandern.de/software/chainsaw.html

    > Excellent tip. I have a real need for such an item, but no luck so
    > far. Does anyone know of a Mac OS X version of a similar utility? I'll
    > Search under 'file splitter," which I had not yet thought to do, but a
    > URL would speed it up. Thanks for adding useful info to the stash.

    first, you need to fix your sig line delimiter. It should be dash
    dash space [-- ]. Thanks

    Try HJ-Split: http://www.freebyte.com/hjsplit/, its available for ANY
    platform. The only problem with this, is it doesn't create an
    auto-extracting arhive. The people who receive the split files, must
    also be using hj-split. But hey, the program is FREE.

    gwtc, Jul 23, 2006
  11. Tana

    gwtc Guest

    Olgierd wrote:
    > *gwtc* wrote:
    >
    >> why do you have an av checking outgoing mail? Disable it. Its only
    >> incoming mail you want to check, not outgoing!

    > Me? I do not use any antivirus software! I don't have to ;-)

    in the 12 years I've been on the net, I've never had to use one.

    gwtc, Jul 23, 2006
  12. Tana

    HellPopeHuey Guest

    gwtc wrote:

    > first, you need to fix your sig line delimiter. It should be dash dash
    > space [-- ]. Thanks

    Sheesh, don't you have anything better to do than get anal over such
    minutiae? Its a minor oversight and a blip on the screen of the larger
    e-world. I rarely bother to respond to such fussiness, but it gets
    TEDIOUS. If you don't like the content of a group or anyone's posts,
    skip past them. I have to do it; its just part of "doing business" for
    the sake of the useful information and laughs Usenet often confers. Its
    mostly a positive thing and should be taken for its greater merits. I
    just sail past flame wars and the like as easily discarded wastes of
    time, but geez, pull that STICK out, willya? Have a snort, watch "The
    Simpsons" and let it go.

    HPH
    HellPopeHuey, Jul 24, 2006
  13. Tana

    gwtc Guest

    HellPopeHuey wrote:
    > gwtc wrote:
    >
    > > first, you need to fix your sig line delimiter. It should be dash dash
    >> space [-- ]. Thanks

    > Sheesh, don't you have anything better to do than get anal over such
    > minutiae? Its a minor oversight and a blip on the screen of the larger
    > e-world. I rarely bother to respond to such fussiness, but it gets
    > TEDIOUS. If you don't like the content of a group or anyone's posts,
    > skip past them. I have to do it; its just part of "doing business" for
    > the sake of the useful information and laughs Usenet often confers. Its
    > mostly a positive thing and should be taken for its greater merits. I
    > just sail past flame wars and the like as easily discarded wastes of
    > time, but geez, pull that STICK out, willya? Have a snort, watch "The
    > Simpsons" and let it go.
    >
    > HPH

    Well, if thats your attitude then *PLONK*

    gwtc, Jul 24, 2006
  14. Tana

    Ed Mullen Guest

    gwtc wrote:
    > Ed Mullen wrote:
    >> FWIW, I use Winzip and it will split a zip file and also create an
    >> auto-extracting archive so the recipient doesn't have to have Winzip
    >> to unpack the archive.
    >>

    > what version of winzip does that? Mine, 7.0, doesn't.

    Version 10.0.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net
    Ed Mullen, Jul 24, 2006
  15. Tana

    Ed Mullen Guest

    HellPopeHuey wrote:
    > gwtc wrote:
    >
    > > first, you need to fix your sig line delimiter. It should be dash dash
    >> space [-- ]. Thanks

    > Sheesh, don't you have anything better to do than get anal over such
    > minutiae? Its a minor oversight and a blip on the screen of the larger
    > e-world. I rarely bother to respond to such fussiness, but it gets
    > TEDIOUS. If you don't like the content of a group or anyone's posts,
    > skip past them. I have to do it; its just part of "doing business" for

    A 23 line sig that can't automatically be stripped out because of a
    broken delimiter is more than a minor blip. To use your word: it's
    tedious. gwtc's suggestion was polite and didn't merit the response you
    gave.

    Ed Mullen, Jul 24, 2006
  16. Tana

    gwtc Guest

    Ed Mullen wrote:
    > gwtc wrote:
    >> Ed Mullen wrote:
    >>> FWIW, I use Winzip and it will split a zip file and also create an
    >>> auto-extracting archive so the recipient doesn't have to have Winzip
    >>> to unpack the archive.
    >>>

    >> what version of winzip does that? Mine, 7.0, doesn't.
    >>

    > Version 10.0.

    ahhh, that explains it.

    gwtc, Jul 24, 2006
  17. Tana

    Ed Mullen Guest

    gwtc wrote:
    > Ed Mullen wrote:
    >> gwtc wrote:
    >>>>
    >>> what version of winzip does that? Mine, 7.0, doesn't.
    >>>

    >> Version 10.0.
    >>

    > ahhh, that explains it.

    It also supports higher compression ratios. Might be time for an
    upgrade. ;-)

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net
    Ed Mullen, Jul 24, 2006
  18. Tana

    gwtc Guest

    Ed Mullen wrote:
    > gwtc wrote:
    >> Ed Mullen wrote:

    >>> Version 10.0.
    >>>

    >> ahhh, that explains it.
    >>

    > It also supports higher compression ratios. Might be time for an
    > upgrade. ;-)

    only if its FREE

    gwtc, Jul 24, 2006
  19. Tana

    HellPopeHuey Guest

    Ed Mullen wrote:
    HellPopeHuey wrote:
    >> gwtc wrote:
    >>
    >> > first, you need to fix your sig line delimiter. It should be dash

    >> dash space [-- ]. Thanks
    >>>>

    >> Sheesh, don't you have anything better to do than get anal over such
    >> minutiae? Its a minor oversight and a blip on the screen of the larger
    >> e-world. I rarely bother to respond to such fussiness, but it gets
    >> TEDIOUS. If you don't like the content of a group or anyone's posts,
    >> skip past them. I have to do it; its just part of "doing business" for
    > >

    > A 23 line sig that can't automatically be stripped out because of a
    > broken delimiter is more than a minor blip. To use your word: it's
    > tedious. gwtc's suggestion was polite and didn't merit the response you
    > gave.

    You are the first two to complain about it in over a year and the
    crowd on that group laughed at the previous person who thought it was an
    issue at all. Focus on the content and ignore the sig. Most find it
    amusing enough and no one is 'forced' to do anything but read or not
    read. He made a point of mentioning it 3x; that's worse overkill than a
    lengthy sig you can simply click past. My last comment on it: make the
    posts your priority and don't waste time being picky over formatting
    that doesn't affect the main content we come for. Its a useful group and
    I appreciate people's pointers, which I usually persue with no comment.
    That's the only priority of merit.

    HPH
    HellPopeHuey, Jul 24, 2006
  20. Tana

    Troy Piggins Guest

    [OT] sig delimiters (Was: Trouble sending mp3 attachments)

    * HellPopeHuey wrote:
    > Ed Mullen wrote:
    > HellPopeHuey wrote:

    >>> dash space [-- ]. Thanks
    >>>>>
    >>> Sheesh, don't you have anything better to do than get anal over such
    >>> minutiae? Its a minor oversight and a blip on the screen of the larger
    >>> e-world. I rarely bother to respond to such fussiness, but it gets
    >>> TEDIOUS. If you don't like the content of a group or anyone's posts,
    >>> skip past them. I have to do it; its just part of "doing business" for
    >> >

    >> A 23 line sig that can't automatically be stripped out because of a
    >> broken delimiter is more than a minor blip. To use your word: it's
    >> tedious. gwtc's suggestion was polite and didn't merit the response you
    >> gave.

    > You are the first two to complain about it in over a year and the
    > crowd on that group laughed at the previous person who thought it was an
    > issue at all. Focus on the content and ignore the sig. Most find it
    > amusing enough and no one is 'forced' to do anything but read or not
    > read. He made a point of mentioning it 3x; that's worse overkill than a
    > lengthy sig you can simply click past. My last comment on it: make the
    > posts your priority and don't waste time being picky over formatting
    > that doesn't affect the main content we come for. Its a useful group and
    > I appreciate people's pointers, which I usually persue with no comment.
    > That's the only priority of merit.

    HPH - may I add my 2 cents?

    There is an unofficial "netiquette" where
    USENET signatures are limited to about 4 lines long, about 80 chars
    wide, and are delimited by a "-- " as gwtc pointed out.

    There are plenty of people who use sigs much larger than this
    recommended one. You will find many people don't like it and some will
    not help you based on that alone. Personally, that doesn't bother me
    because my newsreader software deletes oversized sigs.

    But to do so it needs the correct delimiter to find the sig. This is
    somewhat of a standard and many/most newsreaders and mail user agents
    pick up on the delimiter and know everything below it is a signature.

    So if you were to change your delimiter to a dash-dash-space only on the
    first line, most people will be happy. It may sound "anal" or pedantic,
    but that's the way the software is written. I notice you're using
    Mozilla on a mac. I'm sure if you look at my post you'll notice a
    difference in the way the sig is handled if you reply, or even the
    display format. Compare that to the display or followup of your own

    Thanks.

    --
    Troy Piggins : "Join the Army, meet interesting people, kill them."
    ,-o
    Troy Piggins, Jul 25, 2006