    characters. Is there a limit in Windows XP on working with files with
    long names? Thanks.

    , Mar 21, 2005

  2. Evan Platt Guest

    On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 20:27:40 -0500, wrote:

    >I'm running Windows XP Pro. I've been trying to delet and/or rename
    >some files, but whenever I right click on the, I get a Windows
    >Explorer Error message and Explorer closes down.

    What's the error message?

    >After a few tries, I seem to figure it has to do with file names in excess of about 80
    >characters. Is there a limit in Windows XP on working with files with
    >long names?

    No....If there is, it's MUCH more than 80 characters.

    Evan Platt, Mar 21, 2005

  3. wrote:
    > I'm running Windows XP Pro. I've been trying to delet and/or rename
    > some files, but whenever I right click on the, I get a Windows
    > Explorer Error message and Explorer closes down. After a few tries, I
    > seem to figure it has to do with file names in excess of about 80
    > characters. Is there a limit in Windows XP on working with files with
    > long names? Thanks.

    Maximum number of characters in the name is 255, the filename including
    the path is 32,767 but most apps can't cope with more than 259
    characters in the name/path.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Mar 21, 2005
  4. Anonymous Guest

    Evan Platt wrote:

    > On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 20:27:40 -0500, wrote:
    >

    >>I'm running Windows XP Pro. I've been trying to delet and/or rename
    >>some files, but whenever I right click on the, I get a Windows
    >>Explorer Error message and Explorer closes down.

    > What's the error message?
    >

    >>After a few tries, I seem to figure it has to do with file names in excess of about 80
    >>characters. Is there a limit in Windows XP on working with files with
    >>long names?

    > No....If there is, it's MUCH more than 80 characters.

    The limit in Windows is near 256 characters...80 is the limit in
    Macintosh though. Odd, your Windows box is acting like a Mac if it's
    having a problem with character limits. Maybe it's trying to make sure
    that you don't make a name that long if you don't have to so you won't
    have trouble communicating with Mac users. :)

    Anonymous, Mar 21, 2005
  5. Guest

    A window just opens up saying:
    Windows Explorer
    Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are
    sorry for the inconvenience.

    I also checked the files. One is only around 90 characters long, The
    other, maybe 100. Also, if I highlight the file in Explorer and click
    the big red X for delete in the tool bar, I get the same message. I
    can't do anything with the file. As added info, they're both mp3
    files. Tunes which when I downloaded them had a long file name.