    drive there may be a chance where it will actually read the contents.
    However, I'm not able to access the contents cause once I try to access the
    contents the drive just spins and spins. Any thoughts?

    Jim, Oct 4, 2005

  2. Jim

    Peptide One Guest

    On 2005-10-04, Jim <> wrote:
    > Why does my DVD rom drive have trouble reading DVD's. Sometimes it works
    > and sometimes it doesn't. If I'm persistent enough and I open and close the
    > drive there may be a chance where it will actually read the contents.
    > However, I'm not able to access the contents cause once I try to access the
    > contents the drive just spins and spins. Any thoughts?

    Can you give us more information? Is your DVD-ROM a new driver? Are the
    disks new? Is your system new?

    --
    Beauty is only epithelial cells deep.

    Peptide One, Oct 4, 2005

  3. Jim

    Jim Guest

    "Peptide One" <> wrote in message
    > On 2005-10-04, Jim <> wrote:
    > > Why does my DVD rom drive have trouble reading DVD's. Sometimes it

    works
    > > and sometimes it doesn't. If I'm persistent enough and I open and close

    the
    > > drive there may be a chance where it will actually read the contents.
    > > However, I'm not able to access the contents cause once I try to access

    the
    > > contents the drive just spins and spins. Any thoughts?
    > >

    > Can you give us more information? Is your DVD-ROM a new driver? Are the
    > disks new? Is your system new?
    >
    > --
    > Beauty is only epithelial cells deep.

    The DVD-ROM is a generic brand. It's got to be at least over 2 years old.
    The ROMS are new. My system is about 2 years old now. The problem is that
    sometimes I can get the drive to read the rom and other (most times), the
    same rom will just spin and spin and do nothing.

    Jim, Oct 4, 2005
  4. Jim

    SgtMinor Guest

    Jim wrote:
    > Why does my DVD rom drive have trouble reading DVD's. Sometimes it works
    > and sometimes it doesn't. If I'm persistent enough and I open and close the
    > drive there may be a chance where it will actually read the contents.
    > However, I'm not able to access the contents cause once I try to access the
    > contents the drive just spins and spins. Any thoughts?

    Try a DVD lens cleaner, e.g.:
    http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=303694&pfp=BROWSE

    SgtMinor, Oct 4, 2005
  5. Jim

    Jim Guest

    "SgtMinor" <> wrote in message
    > Jim wrote:
    > > Why does my DVD rom drive have trouble reading DVD's. Sometimes it

    works
    > > and sometimes it doesn't. If I'm persistent enough and I open and close

    the
    > > drive there may be a chance where it will actually read the contents.
    > > However, I'm not able to access the contents cause once I try to access

    the
    > > contents the drive just spins and spins. Any thoughts?
    > >

    > Try a DVD lens cleaner, e.g.:

    http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=303694&pfp=BROWSE

    I'll give that a shot. Thanks.

    Jim, Oct 4, 2005
  6. Jim

    The One Guest

    "SgtMinor" <> wrote in message
    > Jim wrote:
    > > Why does my DVD rom drive have trouble reading DVD's. Sometimes it

    works
    > > and sometimes it doesn't. If I'm persistent enough and I open and close

    the
    > > drive there may be a chance where it will actually read the contents.
    > > However, I'm not able to access the contents cause once I try to access

    the
    > > contents the drive just spins and spins. Any thoughts?
    > >

    > Try a DVD lens cleaner, e.g.:

    http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=303694&pfp=BROWSE

    Won't work, its a problem a lot of old DVD ROMs have.

    The One, Oct 4, 2005
  7. Jim

    fred-bloggs Guest

    "Jim" <> wrote in

    > "Peptide One" <> wrote in message
    >> On 2005-10-04, Jim <> wrote:
    >> > Why does my DVD rom drive have trouble reading DVD's. Sometimes it
    >> > works and sometimes it doesn't. If I'm persistent enough and I
    >> > open and close the drive there may be a chance where it will
    >> > actually read the contents. However, I'm not able to access the
    >> > contents cause once I try to access the contents the drive just
    >> > spins and spins. Any thoughts?
    >> >

    >> Can you give us more information? Is your DVD-ROM a new driver? Are
    >> the disks new? Is your system new?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Beauty is only epithelial cells deep.

    > The DVD-ROM is a generic brand. It's got to be at least over 2 years
    > old. The ROMS are new. My system is about 2 years old now. The
    > problem is that sometimes I can get the drive to read the rom and
    > other (most times), the same rom will just spin and spin and do
    > nothing.

    Try updating the firmware of your DVD-ROM.
    Download Everest Home Edition (free) to identify your drive.
    http://www.lavalys.com/products/overview.php?pid=1&lang=en

    --
    fred

    fred-bloggs, Oct 4, 2005
  8. Jim

    Jim Guest

    "fred-bloggs" <> wrote in message
    > "Jim" <> wrote in
    >

    > > "Peptide One" <> wrote in message
    > >> >

    > >> Can you give us more information? Is your DVD-ROM a new driver? Are
    > >> the disks new? Is your system new?
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Beauty is only epithelial cells deep.

    > > The DVD-ROM is a generic brand. It's got to be at least over 2 years
    > > old. The ROMS are new. My system is about 2 years old now. The
    > > problem is that sometimes I can get the drive to read the rom and
    > > other (most times), the same rom will just spin and spin and do
    > > nothing.

    > Try updating the firmware of your DVD-ROM.
    > Download Everest Home Edition (free) to identify your drive.
    > http://www.lavalys.com/products/overview.php?pid=1&lang=en
    >
    > --
    > fred

    Thanks for the heads up.