Trouble reading DVD disc 2 in PC

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by buildpc@hotmail.com, Nov 30, 2003.

  1. Guest

    Hi,

    I recently rented X2: X-Men United, the widescreen version.

    Problem 1: Disc 1 (the movie) plays in my computer. Disc 2 (the extras)
    doesn't. When I try to explore the disc my computer asks me to insert one
    but the disc is already in the player.

    Problem 2: With Disc 1 in and the DVD menu up, I choose languages, then
    English DTS. The first time I chose this option the movie played with no
    sound. I swtiched it to 5.1 Dolby Digital and it worked fine. The second
    time I chose English DTS the software player hung and corrupted memory. I
    wound up rebooting the computer.

    Can anyone help with these? Thanks in advance.

    My computer:
    - SONY DRU-510 dvd+ burner
    - DVD driver: what came with WinXP
    - NDVD 2.0 software player from Nvidia
    - sound: motherboard optical out connected to Pioneer receiver VSX-D912
    which can decode DTS
    - sound card: none
    - sound driver: Realtek AC97
    - 3.0 ghz processor with 2gb of RAM
    - Win XP Pro

    , Nov 30, 2003

  2. Rick Pali Guest

    <> wrote

    > Problem 2: With Disc 1 in and the DVD menu up, I choose languages, then
    > English DTS. The first time I chose this option the movie played with no
    > sound. I swtiched it to 5.1 Dolby Digital and it worked fine. The second
    > time I chose English DTS the software player hung and corrupted memory.

    Does your software player decode DTS audio? While some might, it's likely
    more the exception than the rule...

    Rick.
    -+---

    http://www.alienshore.com/seeking/

    Rick Pali, Nov 30, 2003

  3. Guest

    "Rick Pali" <>

    > Does your software player decode DTS audio? While some might, it's likely
    > more the exception than the rule...
    >
    > Rick.

    Thank you for taking the time to reply. You led me on a search that
    resolved both problems. No, NVDVD doesn't decode DTS but it does support
    the pass-through of the signal to a decoder. I thought that happened
    automatically due to the hardware connections (player to motherboard,
    optical out on motherboard to receiver).

    I searched NVDVD help and found a setup page for audio that I couldn't
    access. The setup page is only available to the Administrator and I almost
    never log on as Administrator. Once I did I was able to access it and set
    the software to pass through the signal to my receiver. Instantly the bass
    was much better and the front panel of the receiver acknowledged a DTS
    signal.

    Still logged in as Administrator I put problem Disc 2 in. The Flash
    Macromedia portion of it played. I was surprised. The DVD portion started
    to play but when I made a menu selection it hung. Once I realized the
    problem wasn't how the disc was written/encoded I looked at the disc itself
    and there it was, a pesky dirt spot. Once I rubbed it off the disc played
    fine. I've never had a dirty disc before. That's what I get for renting,
    the effects of other people's bad habits.

    Thanks again.

    , Nov 30, 2003