Trouble playing DVDs on notebook computer. Need assistance please.

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by dos-man 64, Dec 25, 2007.

  1. dos-man 64

    dos-man 64 Guest

    The machine is a Gateway running Windows XP. I would never run XP or
    a notebook; this is my mom's :D

    I put DVDs into the DVD-ROM drive and close the door. I try to run the
    DVD using media player, and a message pops up saying, "Cannot play
    this DVD because a compatible decoder is not installed on your
    computer."

    Shouldn't the drive know how to play DVDs without any external
    software? What does this mean and how can I get it to work?

    Thanks,
    Dos-Man

    --------------------------------------
    Author of Emu Browser
    the program launcher that thinks it's a web browser
    http://www.nonags.org/members/phillipsassano/
    dos-man 64, Dec 25, 2007

  2. "dos-man 64" <> wrote in message
    > The machine is a Gateway running Windows XP. I would never run XP or
    > a notebook; this is my mom's :D
    >
    > I put DVDs into the DVD-ROM drive and close the door. I try to run the
    > DVD using media player, and a message pops up saying, "Cannot play
    > this DVD because a compatible decoder is not installed on your
    > computer."
    >
    > Shouldn't the drive know how to play DVDs without any external
    > software? What does this mean and how can I get it to work?

    for licensing reasons windows won't play dvds until you install dvd playing
    software.
    easiest thing to do is use vlc player - http://www.videolan.org/vlc

    --
    Gareth.

    That fly... is your magic wand.
    http://www.last.fm/user/dsbmusic/
    the dog from that film you saw, Dec 25, 2007

  3. dos-man 64

    PapaBear Guest

    "the dog from that film you saw" <> wrote
    in message news:...

    > "dos-man 64" <> wrote in message
    >> The machine is a Gateway running Windows XP. I would never run XP or
    >> a notebook; this is my mom's :D
    >>
    >> I put DVDs into the DVD-ROM drive and close the door. I try to run the
    >> DVD using media player, and a message pops up saying, "Cannot play
    >> this DVD because a compatible decoder is not installed on your
    >> computer."
    >>
    >> Shouldn't the drive know how to play DVDs without any external
    >> software? What does this mean and how can I get it to work?
    >>

    > for licensing reasons windows won't play dvds until you install dvd
    > playing software.
    > easiest thing to do is use vlc player - http://www.videolan.org/vlc

    It comes as a rude surprise that Windows isn't ready to play a DVD. I recall
    the feeling and sympathize. I fumbled around quite a bit at first before
    solving the problem, satisfactory to me.

    I'm not familiar with the Linux decoder suggested by the dog... I took a
    quick look and it seems technically complicated, like many of the Linux
    programs for Windows. If you can wrap your brain around it, I imagine it
    works fine. I side-stepped those complications and hit upon a solution by
    pure luck, otherwise I could still be groping around in the dark! I use the
    Cyberlink decoder which came for free along with PowerDVD when I purchased
    an internal LG DVD burner.

    This may be a useful link:
    Plug-ins for Windows Media Player
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/player/plugins.aspx

    Partway down that list it mentions Windows XP Video Decoder Checkup Utility:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=DE1491AC-0AB6-4990-943D-627E6ADE9FCB
    which tells you what decoder(s) you may already have installed.
    PapaBear, Dec 26, 2007
  4. dos-man 64

    dos-man 64 Guest

    Re: Trouble playing DVDs on notebook computer. Need assistanceplease.

    On Dec 25, 7:54 pm, "PapaBear" <2x> wrote:
    > "the dog from that film you saw" <> wrote
    > in messagenews:...
    >

    > > "dos-man 64" <> wrote in message
    > >> The machine is a Gateway running Windows XP. I would never run XP or
    > >> a notebook; this is my mom's :D

    > >> I put DVDs into the DVD-ROM drive and close the door. I try to run the
    > >> DVD using media player, and a message pops up saying, "Cannot play
    > >> this DVD because a compatible decoder is not installed on your
    > >> computer."

    > >> Shouldn't the drive know how to play DVDs without any external
    > >> software? What does this mean and how can I get it to work?

    > > for licensing reasons windows won't play dvds until you install dvd
    > > playing software.
    > > easiest thing to do is use vlc player -http://www.videolan.org/vlc

    > It comes as a rude surprise that Windows isn't ready to play a DVD. I recall
    > the feeling and sympathize. I fumbled around quite a bit at first before
    > solving the problem, satisfactory to me.

    That is somewhat shocking. That's why I never bothered to put a DVD
    drive
    into my PC. I'm quite happy using my PS2. Also got a DVD recorder as
    well.

    > I'm not familiar with the Linux decoder suggested by the dog... I took a
    > quick look and it seems technically complicated, like many of the Linux
    > programs for Windows. If you can wrap your brain around it, I imagine it
    > works fine. I side-stepped those complications and hit upon a solution by
    > pure luck, otherwise I could still be groping around in the dark! I use the
    > Cyberlink decoder which came for free along with PowerDVD when I purchased
    > an internal LG DVD burner.
    >
    > This may be a useful link:
    > Plug-ins for Windows Media Playerhttp://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/player/plugins.aspx
    >
    > Partway down that list it mentions Windows XP Video Decoder Checkup Utility:http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=DE1491AC-0AB...
    > which tells you what decoder(s) you may already have installed.

    I'm just going to tell her it ain't happening. She has a DVD player (a
    real one I might add), she can just use
    that. I'm done with this. Thanks for your help nonetheless.

    dos-man
    dos-man 64, Dec 26, 2007
  5. "PapaBear" <2x> wrote in message

    > I'm not familiar with the Linux decoder suggested by the dog... I took a
    > quick look and it seems technically complicated, like many of the Linux
    > programs for Windows.

    it's as simple as simple can be - you run the program, drag the file, it
    plays.

    the dog from that film you saw, Dec 26, 2007
  6. dos-man 64

    PapaBear Guest

    "the dog from that film you saw" <> wrote
    in message news:...

    > "PapaBear" <2x> wrote in message
    >
    >> I'm not familiar with the Linux decoder suggested by the dog... I took a
    >> quick look and it seems technically complicated, like many of the Linux
    >> programs for Windows.

    > it's as simple as simple can be - you run the program, drag the file, it
    > plays.

    Most things look a lot easier after you've already done it once... :)
    You're probably right that it works OK, but it takes some persistence to get
    started and over the newbie learning curve hump. I took a quick look at
    their website, tried to read some descriptive info, and it hung my IE6
    browser. Apparently it was making a long download of some kind, which I
    didn't request. I waited a minute or two. I had to kill the iexplore.exe
    process with CAD to escape. I tried again a couple of times and the same
    thing happened, so I tossed in the towel. Maybe someone who really needs it
    would persist and figure it out. I was only looking quickly out of
    curiosity.
    PapaBear, Dec 26, 2007
  7. dos-man 64

    On Dec 26, 4:36 pm, "PapaBear" <2x> wrote:
    > "the dog from that film you saw" <> wrote
    > in messagenews:...
    >

    > > "PapaBear" <2x> wrote in message

    > >> I'm not familiar with the Linux decoder suggested by the dog... I took a
    > >> quick look and it seems technically complicated, like many of the Linux
    > >> programs for Windows.

    > > it's as simple as simple can be - you run the program, drag the file, it
    > > plays.

    > Most things look a lot easier after you've already done it once... :)
    > You're probably right that it works OK, but it takes some persistence to get
    > started and over the newbie learning curve hump. I took a quick look at
    > their website, tried to read some descriptive info, and it hung my IE6
    > browser. Apparently it was making a long download of some kind, which I
    > didn't request. I waited a minute or two. I had to kill the iexplore.exe
    > process with CAD to escape. I tried again a couple of times and the same
    > thing happened, so I tossed in the towel. Maybe someone who really needs it
    > would persist and figure it out. I was only looking quickly out of
    > curiosity.

    Like most Linux programs it's about 40 megs. Probably installs about
    100,000
    different files on the system, too :D

    I got it to work though. Choose File, Open File, Disc Tab > DVD radio
    button, then click OK.
    Works.

    Thanks Dog!

    Dos-man