Trouble Playing Copied DVDs

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Plato, Feb 3, 2006.

  1. Plato

    Plato Guest

    A buddy asked me this and I dont know how to help him.

    Hey perhaps you can guide me here.

    Stats:
    XP2, 2 gig ram, 10 gig free on C: All background apps closed prior to
    burning.

    I have a legal collection of maybe 1000 DVD's and frankly some are
    rather
    rare and or pricey. I have researched the law and it is legal for me to
    back up DVD's I own.

    HOWEVER: and this is the bitch, what is the best software for doing
    this? I
    have had some success with a number of packages and in combination with
    DVD43 (decodes) I can copy a good number of these to my 8.5 Gig dual
    layer
    dvd's at a 1 to 1 copy rate. The problem is that some copy but the
    playback is hosed.

    Get 30 or 50 minutes into the dvd and it gets the stutters and
    quits playing correctly. I am sure that you can help me right?

    I am using PowereDVD copy2 with DVD43 and also I tried WinDVD copy and
    they are going thru a Plextor16 Dual Layer DVD burner on to Dual layer
    disks. I also have a Sony Dual Layer that also has the same issues.

    Playback issue is on any DVD player, as these are normally used in our
    TV
    set, the Samsung DVD player can not play them, and the issue occurs at
    the
    same point in the dvd regardless of player, it acts exactly like the DVD
    is
    dirty.

    Plato, Feb 3, 2006

  2. Plato

    p-nut Guest

    Plato wrote:
    > A buddy asked me this and I dont know how to help him.

    > Hey perhaps you can guide me here.
    >
    > Stats:
    > XP2, 2 gig ram, 10 gig free on C: All background apps closed prior to
    > burning.
    >
    > I have a legal collection of maybe 1000 DVD's and frankly some are
    > rather
    > rare and or pricey. I have researched the law and it is legal for me
    > to back up DVD's I own.
    >
    > HOWEVER: and this is the bitch, what is the best software for doing
    > this? I
    > have had some success with a number of packages and in combination
    > with DVD43 (decodes) I can copy a good number of these to my 8.5 Gig
    > dual layer
    > dvd's at a 1 to 1 copy rate. The problem is that some copy but the
    > playback is hosed.
    >
    > Get 30 or 50 minutes into the dvd and it gets the stutters and
    > quits playing correctly. I am sure that you can help me right?
    >
    > I am using PowereDVD copy2 with DVD43 and also I tried WinDVD copy and
    > they are going thru a Plextor16 Dual Layer DVD burner on to Dual layer
    > disks. I also have a Sony Dual Layer that also has the same issues.
    >
    > Playback issue is on any DVD player, as these are normally used in our
    > TV
    > set, the Samsung DVD player can not play them, and the issue occurs at
    > the
    > same point in the dvd regardless of player, it acts exactly like the
    > DVD is
    > dirty.

    Have you tried the disks in other standalones?
    Sounds like the Samsung doesn't like the media you're using.
    You can go here and look up your standalone and see if others have had the
    same problem.

    http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers

    p-nut, Feb 3, 2006

  3. Plato

    Morgi3 Guest

    Try copying the DVD's using SlySoft's DVDClone while running AnyDVD,
    both available from http://www.slysoft.com/ as it could be a
    protection issue. Not sure if you can get trial versions? I have used
    them before without problems, worth investing in if you're planning on
    doing a lot. But yes, remember that you may get media issues, or have
    a DVD player that's not compatible with DVD-R. Good luck.

    Morgi3, Feb 3, 2006
  4. Plato

    Plato Guest

    Thanks to all who wrote back.

    Plato, Feb 4, 2006
  5. Plato

    Guest

    On 3 Feb 2006 11:20:02 -0600, Plato <|@|.|> wrote:

    >A buddy asked me this and I dont know how to help him.

    >Hey perhaps you can guide me here.
    >
    >Stats:
    >XP2, 2 gig ram, 10 gig free on C: All background apps closed prior to
    >burning.
    >
    >I have a legal collection of maybe 1000 DVD's and frankly some are
    >rather
    >rare and or pricey. I have researched the law and it is legal for me to
    >back up DVD's I own.
    >
    >HOWEVER: and this is the bitch, what is the best software for doing
    >this? I
    >have had some success with a number of packages and in combination with
    >DVD43 (decodes) I can copy a good number of these to my 8.5 Gig dual
    >layer
    >dvd's at a 1 to 1 copy rate. The problem is that some copy but the
    >playback is hosed.
    >
    >Get 30 or 50 minutes into the dvd and it gets the stutters and
    >quits playing correctly. I am sure that you can help me right?
    >
    >I am using PowereDVD copy2 with DVD43 and also I tried WinDVD copy and
    >they are going thru a Plextor16 Dual Layer DVD burner on to Dual layer
    >disks. I also have a Sony Dual Layer that also has the same issues.
    >
    >Playback issue is on any DVD player, as these are normally used in our
    >TV
    >set, the Samsung DVD player can not play them, and the issue occurs at
    >the
    >same point in the dvd regardless of player, it acts exactly like the DVD
    >is
    >dirty.

    videohelp.com

    best tutorials around.

    you are using shit software, and you don't mention your CPU speed.

    also you may be loaded down with spyware, run ad-aware and spybot,
    maybe grab MS Anti-Spyware too. check what bs programs you have
    running at startup, make sure you don't have active desktop on.

    google DVDdecrypter

    , Feb 4, 2006