    This document though it is there on the disk and it wont open, it
    always comes up with that error.

    John
    John, Oct 17, 2005

  2. John

    fruitbat Guest

    "John" <> wrote in message
    news:eek:...
    > Hi. I have a Word document saved on a 3.5" disk. When I try to open it
    > there is an error message that says "The document name or path is not
    > valid". Do you know what the problem is? I have a few other word
    > documents saved on the same disk and they all open without any issues.
    > This document though it is there on the disk and it wont open, it
    > always comes up with that error.

    The filename may contain invalid characters or the file may be corrupted.

    Try each of the following
    (a) right click on the file, choose "open with" and try opening the file
    with Wordpad or any other word processor.
    (b) try reading the file on a different computer
    (c) go to http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=826864 and look
    for a solution from Microsoft.
    (d) search at google.com for an answer, using key words like "corrupt word
    files" or "damaged word document."
    fruitbat, Oct 17, 2005

  3. John

    Brian Guest

    You could also try copying the file to the harddrive and open it there. If
    you cannot copy then the problem is with file corruption.
    Brian, Oct 22, 2005