    computers have no difficulty accessing the network.

    Any ideas?

    -Carl
    libertybasic, Dec 16, 2005

  2. libertybasic

    Malke Guest

    libertybasic wrote:

    > I have a Thinkpad running Windows XP Professional. I've been using it
    > on my wireless network at home without problems. Today I decided to
    > go
    > to a local cafe and use their WiFi access point. That worked okay,
    > but now that I'm at home I cannot seem to shake the IP address and
    > subnet
    > mask given to my by the cafe's DHCP server. I use the repair
    > connection button, and I've tried ipconfig /renew and /release. I've
    > tried rebooting. Nothing works.
    >
    > I have no trouble actually connecting. I do get a good connection
    > icon and signal strength from my WEPed wireless router, and my other
    > computers have no difficulty accessing the network.

    In addition to the ipconfig /release | ipconfig /renew, try
    ipconfig /flushdns

    Then reboot.

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com
    Malke, Dec 16, 2005

  3. libertybasic

    libertybasic Guest

    Malke wrote:
    > libertybasic wrote:
    >
    > > I have a Thinkpad running Windows XP Professional. I've been using it
    > > on my wireless network at home without problems. Today I decided to
    > > go
    > > to a local cafe and use their WiFi access point. That worked okay,
    > > but now that I'm at home I cannot seem to shake the IP address and
    > > subnet
    > > mask given to my by the cafe's DHCP server. I use the repair
    > > connection button, and I've tried ipconfig /renew and /release. I've
    > > tried rebooting. Nothing works.
    > >
    > > I have no trouble actually connecting. I do get a good connection
    > > icon and signal strength from my WEPed wireless router, and my other
    > > computers have no difficulty accessing the network.

    > In addition to the ipconfig /release | ipconfig /renew, try
    > ipconfig /flushdns
    >
    > Then reboot.

    Thanks, but it didn't work. The old IP address and subnet are still
    there. :-(

    -Carl
    libertybasic, Dec 16, 2005
  4. libertybasic

    Malke Guest

    libertybasic wrote:

    > Malke wrote:
    >> libertybasic wrote:
    >>
    >> > I have a Thinkpad running Windows XP Professional. I've been using
    >> > it
    >> > on my wireless network at home without problems. Today I decided
    >> > to go
    >> > to a local cafe and use their WiFi access point. That worked okay,
    >> > but now that I'm at home I cannot seem to shake the IP address and
    >> > subnet
    >> > mask given to my by the cafe's DHCP server. I use the repair
    >> > connection button, and I've tried ipconfig /renew and /release.
    >> > I've
    >> > tried rebooting. Nothing works.
    >> >
    >> > I have no trouble actually connecting. I do get a good connection
    >> > icon and signal strength from my WEPed wireless router, and my
    >> > other computers have no difficulty accessing the network.

    >> In addition to the ipconfig /release | ipconfig /renew, try
    >> ipconfig /flushdns
    >>
    >> Then reboot.

    > Thanks, but it didn't work. The old IP address and subnet are still
    > there. :-(
    >
    > -Carl

    Maybe you can just enter your ISP's nameservers manually then and assign
    a static IP. Get the settings from doing an ipconfig on one of the
    other machines. Reboot. Once you've connected successfully, you
    probably can go back to automatic assignment of IP/DNS.

    Malke
    --
    MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
    Malke, Dec 16, 2005
  5. libertybasic

    libertybasic Guest

    Thanks for trying to help. That didn't work either.

    -Carl
    libertybasic, Dec 16, 2005
  6. libertybasic

    Malke Guest

    libertybasic wrote:

    > Thanks for trying to help. That didn't work either.
    >
    > -Carl

    Then I don't know. Hopefully someone else will come along with the
    answer.

    Malke
    Malke, Dec 16, 2005
  7. assign ip address to nic manually reboot pc then switch to dhcp again.

    Simas Kvilius, Dec 16, 2005
  8. libertybasic

    Malke Guest

    Simas Kvilius wrote:

    > assign ip address to nic manually reboot pc then switch to dhcp again.

    I suggested that he do that but he says it didn't work. Unless he was
    assigning the IP & DNS to the wrong connection... I don't know what
    else is left. If the OP doesn't get any more responses here, he should
    probably have a professional take a look. Someone on-site may be able
    to fix it in 5 minutes.

    Malke
    Malke, Dec 16, 2005
  9. libertybasic

    libertybasic Guest

    Malke wrote:
    > Simas Kvilius wrote:
    > > assign ip address to nic manually reboot pc then switch to dhcp again.

    > I suggested that he do that but he says it didn't work. Unless he was
    > assigning the IP & DNS to the wrong connection... I don't know what
    > else is left. If the OP doesn't get any more responses here, he should
    > probably have a professional take a look. Someone on-site may be able
    > to fix it in 5 minutes.

    Thanks guys. I did assign the IP address and subnet manually according
    to the valid range my router would accept (I set the range myself).
    When I do that I can't see the network at all. I do know how to do
    this since my home LAN was statically set for years before I got a
    router with a DHCP server, so I'm pretty baffled. I suppose it could
    have something to do with my router? Maybe it won't allow static and
    dynamically assigned addresses at the same time or something.

    -Carl
    libertybasic, Dec 27, 2005
  10. libertybasic

    Malke Guest

    libertybasic wrote:

    > Malke wrote:
    >> Simas Kvilius wrote:
    >> > assign ip address to nic manually reboot pc then switch to dhcp
    >> > again.

    >> I suggested that he do that but he says it didn't work. Unless he was
    >> assigning the IP & DNS to the wrong connection... I don't know what
    >> else is left. If the OP doesn't get any more responses here, he
    >> should probably have a professional take a look. Someone on-site may
    >> be able to fix it in 5 minutes.

    > Thanks guys. I did assign the IP address and subnet manually
    > according to the valid range my router would accept (I set the range
    > myself).
    > When I do that I can't see the network at all. I do know how to do
    > this since my home LAN was statically set for years before I got a
    > router with a DHCP server, so I'm pretty baffled. I suppose it could
    > have something to do with my router? Maybe it won't allow static and
    > dynamically assigned addresses at the same time or something.
    >
    > -Carl

    All routers will allow statically assigned IP's - just assign the static
    IP's outside the DHCP range.

    Malke
    Malke, Dec 27, 2005