    check harddrives for viruses and so on)...What is the problem? My bios shows
    the SATA HD...so I shouldn't have to install any drivers first, right? Is
    there anything I could have done wrong? HELP!!
    =?Utf-8?B?Y2FtcnVuMzE4?=, Jun 21, 2006

  2. Your Asus board should support a SATA drive without needing you to provide a
    driver during setup. Make sure the SATA cable is not connected to one of
    the raid connectors instead of a solo connector. Run a memory test.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jun 21, 2006

  3. =?Utf-8?B?Y2FtcnVuMzE4?=

    Rick Guest

    What Asus MB do you have? If it has a Via SATA
    you need SATA drivers.

    Rick, Jun 21, 2006
  4. I didn't know that about the V boards (mine is nVidia). Thanks for pointing
    that out.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jun 21, 2006
  5. =?Utf-8?B?Y2FtcnVuMzE4?=

    Rick Guest

    Asus has not programmed their BIOS to identify
    the VT SATA chip as a SATA-IDE and still
    requires the SATA RAID driver even though a RAID
    is not required.

    MSI's latest BIOS allows you to select SATA-IDE
    and both Win XP and x64 will load on these
    boards without any F6 intervention.

    The latest VIA software has updates for both
    configurations and installs the latest drivers
    to support the configuration of the chip in the
    BIOS.

    So, on my MSI K8T800Pro Neo2 it is configured as
    a SATA-IDE interface and on my Asus A8V I don't
    have any option except SATA-RAID even though I
    don't have the 2 SATA drives in a RAID
    configuration.

    It would be nice if all the Vendors would get on
    the same sheet of music and offer the same
    options for how you want the SATA channel to be
    seen.

    Rick, Jun 21, 2006
  6. Colin:
    Las letter in mobo's name indicates chipset.
    N is for NVidia Nforce
    V is for VIA
    E.g.: ASUS A8N is NForce chipset based
    Carlos

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, Jun 21, 2006
  7. Yes I understood that (I have an A8N etc), but I didn't know that the Via
    based boards did not have onboard SATA driver support like my nVidia based
    board does. Now I know.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jun 21, 2006
  8. =?Utf-8?B?Y2FtcnVuMzE4?=

    Rick Guest

    Vista has the Via RAID drivers in its base, so
    you don't need any additional drivers there - at
    least in a non-RAID configuration. I don't have
    any RAID configured to check about a RAID.

    Rick, Jun 21, 2006
  9. Yeah, I've got an early Via ASUS here, and it requires drivers for the SATA.
    Worse is the Promise that's on there, though. You can't get that to work at
    all in IDE mode. :(

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64