Trouble Installing Win2k3 x64 on Dell PowerEdge 2850

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Brad Baker, Feb 20, 2006.

  1. Brad Baker

    Brad Baker Guest

    Tonight I tried to install Windows 2003 Enterprise x64 on a Dell PowerEdge
    2850 with a Perc 4e/Di SCSI Raid Controller.

    I started out by downloading the win2k3 x64 Perc 4e/Di scsi raid driver from
    the Dell website. I extracted the drivers to a floppy disk (they
    successfully extracted according to WinZip). Then took the floppy disk out
    and put it in the machine I was building. I then inserted the Microsoft VLK
    Windows 2003 web/std/ent x64 MSDN DVD in the server and let it boot from the
    DVD drive.

    As setup started, I pressed F6 to specify third party SCSI/RAID drivers and
    pointed setup to my disk. Setup started to load files off the disk and then
    I received an error indicating mraid35x.sys was corrupt.

    I've tried the following:

    - Re-downloading the drivers from Dells Website
    - Double and triple checking that I have right driver and right version
    (x64)
    - Extracting the files onto different floppy disks (in case there was a
    problem with my disks)
    - Downloading and extracting the files from a different server in case there
    was a problem with the floppy disk of the system I was building the driver
    disk from
    the floppy drive of the server I am trying to install windows on.

    I also tried calling Dell Technical support. They insist the drivers are not
    corrupt and claim they tested installing win2k3 from a server in their lab,
    using the same files I'm using.

    My gut instinct is that the drivers on the Dell site are corrupt but I am
    trying to keep an open mind about other possibilities. Has anyone else seen
    similar problems to this? Or does anyone have any ideas or suggestions about
    anything else I might try?

    Any assistance or suggestions would be appreciated.

    Thanks
    Brad

    Brad Baker, Feb 20, 2006

  2. Get the checksum of the file that he claims isn't corrupted and check
    against what you're seeing.

    And yes, the obvious. Make sure the driver is for x64, not "64-bit".

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Feb 20, 2006

  3. Brad Baker

    bizsoftware1

    Joined:
    Sep 9, 2009
    Messages:
    1
    dell server install problem

    Hi, this is a slightly off the wall request but we have lost our setup disks for a poweredge 1850 running windows 2003 ent server x64, this is a pre r2 version, we have contacted dell who do not have copies of the media and we need to reinstall, the server is blank due to formatting the drives and reconfiguring raid following an error.
    Does anybody have a copy of the setup disks for this dell os? I am told it is perfectly legal for me to obtain a copy of the disks as we have a license.

    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    bizsoftware1, Sep 9, 2009