Trouble installing new ram

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Mark, Jul 12, 2003.

  1. Mark

    Mark Guest

    I replaced the RAM in the motherboard...from 3 sticks of 256MB to 3 sticks
    of 512MB.

    It does a long beep and just hangs when you boot up. Nothing shows up on the
    screen, when I reboot I am now running at 900mhz instead of 1133mhz.

    When I go into the BIOS:

    Operating Frequency setting is Custom, instead of standard CPU Clock

    Multiplier is 8.5x

    CPU frequency is 133mhz

    DRAM frequency is 133mhz

    But since I installed the new RAM, these settings don't seem to work.

    Instead it is at 9.0x, 100mhz, 100mhz.

    How can I get my machine up and running to 1133mhz again? Any ideas?

    It's an athlon XP, and an ASUS board..

    \

    Thanks in advance,

    Mark
    Mark, Jul 12, 2003

  2. Mark

    mhicaoidh Guest

    Taking a moment's reflection, Mark mused:

    | I replaced the RAM in the motherboard...from 3 sticks of 256MB to 3 sticks
    | of 512MB.

    Are you sure your mainboard supports 1.5 GB of RAM? Take one of the
    sticks out, and see if that works.
    mhicaoidh, Jul 12, 2003

  3. Mark

    °Mike° Guest

    Remove the RAM and replace with just one stick. Ensure that
    the stick is seated correctly. Reboot. Repeat with each
    stick *individually*. When you have checked each stick on
    it's own, then insert two sticks, swapping them around,
    before finally trying all three again.

    On Sat, 12 Jul 2003 16:43:03 GMT, in
    <rUWPa.417646$>
    Mark scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Jul 12, 2003
  4. Mark

    Mark Guest

    Yes, the motherboard does support 1.5GB of RAM, and it would only run at
    100mhz with each of the sticks individually.

    Thanks for the advice.. but I'm still stuck.

    Mark

    Mark, Jul 12, 2003
  5. The joys of the athlon chip!

    the real TOMMY Tutalidge, Jul 13, 2003
  6. Mark

    Plato Guest

    Shep© wrote:

    > >It does a long beep and just hangs when you boot up. Nothing shows up on the
    > >screen, when I reboot I am now running at 900mhz instead of 1133mhz.

    > What operating system?

    Not an issue in this case as it's hanging on POST so it dont matter what
    OS.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Jul 13, 2003
  7. Mark

    Buffalo Guest

    "Mark"...
    > Yes, the motherboard does support 1.5GB of RAM, and it would only run at
    > 100mhz with each of the sticks individually.
    >
    > Thanks for the advice.. but I'm still stuck.
    >

    > Mark

    Are you sure you have the proper ram for your MB?
    With just one stick of the new ram, go into your BiOS and try to change to
    the 133FSB. Save and see if the new setting will stick.
    While in your BIOS, check to see if the ram timings are being set by SPD.
    If they are, you might want to 'disable' that option and use lower
    performance ram timings.
    It SPD was not Enabled,try enabling it.
    Buffalo, Jul 13, 2003
  8. Mark

    Buffalo Guest

    "Mark"
    > Yes, the motherboard does support 1.5GB of RAM, and it would only run at
    > 100mhz with each of the sticks individually.
    >
    > Thanks for the advice.. but I'm still stuck.
    >

    > Mark

    Adding to my previous post, if you now get past the initial boot but cannot
    get into Windows (if that is what you are using) and you are using
    Win98(SE), you will need to add this line to your System.ini under the
    [vcache] header:
    MaxFileCache=512000
    Buffalo, Jul 13, 2003
  9. Mark

    mhicaoidh Guest

    Taking a moment's reflection, the real TOMMY Tutalidge mused:

    | The joys of the athlon chip!

    I seriously doubt this issue has anything to do with the type of CPU.
    mhicaoidh, Jul 13, 2003