    dynalink RTA1320 modem, in the d-link i've set the WAN setting to
    PPPoE/PPPoA with the same username and password as the dynalink so i
    don't get why it isn't working... :(

    cgimofo, May 17, 2008

  2. In article <g0mcs3$805$>, cgimofo did write:

    > i'm trying to setup a D-link DSL-G640T modem, but can't get it to
    > connect. the ADSL light is constant so i think its seeing the exchange
    > ok... but the "status" light continuously flashes.

    On my old D-Link DSL500, the status light would continually flash in normal
    operation. Annoying, distracting and pointless, but nothing to worry about.

    What does the status page show? That should tell you whether it's succeeded
    in connecting or not.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, May 17, 2008

  3. cgimofo

    cgimofo Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In article <g0mcs3$805$>, cgimofo did write:
    >
    >> i'm trying to setup a D-link DSL-G640T modem, but can't get it to
    >> connect. the ADSL light is constant so i think its seeing the exchange
    >> ok... but the "status" light continuously flashes.

    > On my old D-Link DSL500, the status light would continually flash in normal
    > operation. Annoying, distracting and pointless, but nothing to worry about.
    >
    > What does the status page show? That should tell you whether it's succeeded
    > in connecting or not.

    it says continuosly "waiting for response..." and just keeps refreshing
    but getting nowhere. if i try and use dynamicDNS insteead of PPP in the
    setup wizard, the status page says "disconnected". :(

    cgimofo, May 17, 2008
  4. cgimofo

    EMB Guest

    cgimofo wrote:
    > i'm trying to setup a D-link DSL-G640T modem, but can't get it to
    > connect. the ADSL light is constant so i think its seeing the exchange
    > ok... but the "status" light continuously flashes. i'm guessing the
    > problem is connecting to the ISP. i'm typing this from the same pc on a
    > dynalink RTA1320 modem, in the d-link i've set the WAN setting to
    > PPPoE/PPPoA with the same username and password as the dynalink so i
    > don't get why it isn't working... :(

    Are the below settings being used?

    PPPoA, VCmux, VPI = 0, VCI = 100

    Incidentally there are apparently issues with the new Telecom ISAM
    hardware and some modem/router chipsets. See
    http://forums.slingshot.co.nz/viewtopic.php?t=1358 for details (which
    apply to all ISPs).

    EMB, May 17, 2008
  5. cgimofo

    peterwn Guest

    On May 17, 10:43 pm, cgimofo <> wrote:
    > i'm trying to setup a D-link DSL-G640T modem, but can't get it to
    > connect. the ADSL light is constant so i think its seeing the exchange
    > ok... but the "status" light continuously flashes. i'm guessing the
    > problem is connecting to the ISP. i'm typing this from the same pc on a
    > dynalink RTA1320 modem, in the d-link i've set the WAN setting to
    > PPPoE/PPPoA with the same username and password as the dynalink so i
    > don't get why it isn't working... :(

    Wait 24 hours for things to work their way through the various
    databases and servers. I have just about had a mental breakdown over
    trying to get dsl to work for someone I am helping out. I will be
    trying again tomorrow. There is a similar difficulty trying to use
    the pop3 server and Yahoo webmail immediately after names and
    passwords are allocated because of the same problem.

    If you want to check whether users and passwords work, try and change
    them via www.xtra.co.nz , this works against the most up to date
    database. By the way have you appended .xadsl to the user name you
    put into the D-link ie , and also this 'user'
    may have a different password - the help desk will usually use the
    same password, but this may not always apply. You can change them
    independently.

    peterwn, May 17, 2008
  6. cgimofo

    Enkidu Guest

    cgimofo wrote:
    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >> In article <g0mcs3$805$>, cgimofo did write:
    >>
    >>> i'm trying to setup a D-link DSL-G640T modem, but can't get it to
    >>> connect. the ADSL light is constant so i think its seeing the exchange
    >>> ok... but the "status" light continuously flashes.

    >> On my old D-Link DSL500, the status light would continually flash in
    >> normal
    >> operation. Annoying, distracting and pointless, but nothing to worry
    >> about.
    >>
    >> What does the status page show? That should tell you whether it's
    >> succeeded
    >> in connecting or not.

    > it says continuosly "waiting for response..." and just keeps refreshing
    > but getting nowhere. if i try and use dynamicDNS insteead of PPP in the
    > setup wizard, the status page says "disconnected". :(

    Here's some settings in my router in the Advanced/ATM VCC page:

    Use PVC0
    VPI 0
    VCI 100
    Virtual Circuit > enabled
    PPoE/PPPoA
    Auth type > auto
    Connection Type PPP0A LLC
    Default Route/NAT/FW > Enabled
    IP Control > Dynamic IP

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    'hilarious', it usually isn't?

    Enkidu, May 18, 2008
  7. cgimofo

    Gordon Guest

    On 2008-05-17, cgimofo <> wrote:
    > i'm trying to setup a D-link DSL-G640T modem, but can't get it to
    > connect. the ADSL light is constant so i think its seeing the exchange
    > ok... but the "status" light continuously flashes. i'm guessing the
    > problem is connecting to the ISP. i'm typing this from the same pc on a
    > dynalink RTA1320 modem, in the d-link i've set the WAN setting to
    > PPPoE/PPPoA with the same username and password as the dynalink so i
    > don't get why it isn't working... :(

    You do not have both modems plugged in at the same time? Just a thought

    Gordon, May 18, 2008
  8. cgimofo

    cgimofo Guest

    peterwn wrote:

    > Wait 24 hours for things to work their way through the various
    > databases and servers. I have just about had a mental breakdown over
    > trying to get dsl to work for someone I am helping out. I will be
    > trying again tomorrow. There is a similar difficulty trying to use
    > the pop3 server and Yahoo webmail immediately after names and
    > passwords are allocated because of the same problem.

    but this shouldn't be an issue because i'm using my own account which
    has the same username & password and has been operational for a
    year..... just a different router. the username is
    [username]@adsl.ihug.co.nz.

    cgimofo, May 18, 2008
  9. cgimofo

    cgimofo Guest

    Gordon wrote:
    > On 2008-05-17, cgimofo <> wrote:
    >> i'm trying to setup a D-link DSL-G640T modem, but can't get it to
    >> connect. the ADSL light is constant so i think its seeing the exchange
    >> ok... but the "status" light continuously flashes. i'm guessing the
    >> problem is connecting to the ISP. i'm typing this from the same pc on a
    >> dynalink RTA1320 modem, in the d-link i've set the WAN setting to
    >> PPPoE/PPPoA with the same username and password as the dynalink so i
    >> don't get why it isn't working... :(
    >>

    > You do not have both modems plugged in at the same time? Just a thought

    nope, the d-link router is plugged into a double adapter which a phone
    is connected to, i'll try a direct connection but i doubt that's the
    issue as it worked with the dynalink...

    cgimofo, May 18, 2008
  10. cgimofo

    cgimofo Guest

    Enkidu wrote:
    > Here's some settings in my router in the Advanced/ATM VCC page:
    >
    > Use PVC0
    > VPI 0
    > VCI 100
    > Virtual Circuit > enabled
    > PPoE/PPPoA
    > Auth type > auto
    > Connection Type PPP0A LLC
    > Default Route/NAT/FW > Enabled
    > IP Control > Dynamic IP

    fixed!!! yay!! mine was set to PPPoE instead of PPPoA :)

    cheerz

    cgimofo, May 18, 2008
  11. cgimofo

    Enkidu Guest

    cgimofo wrote:
    > Enkidu wrote:
    >> Here's some settings in my router in the Advanced/ATM VCC page:
    >>
    >> Use PVC0
    >> VPI 0
    >> VCI 100
    >> Virtual Circuit > enabled
    >> PPoE/PPPoA
    >> Auth type > auto
    >> Connection Type PPP0A LLC
    >> Default Route/NAT/FW > Enabled
    >> IP Control > Dynamic IP
    >>

    > fixed!!! yay!! mine was set to PPPoE instead of PPPoA :)

    Cool! Glad to have helped.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    'hilarious', it usually isn't?

    Enkidu, May 18, 2008
  12. cgimofo

    cgimofo Guest

    Enkidu wrote:

    >> fixed!!! yay!! mine was set to PPPoE instead of PPPoA :)
    >>

    > Cool! Glad to have helped.

    the next step is to have my flatmate's pc try and find the router lol...
    i've enabled encryption with a PSK string, but do i have to assign her
    pc an IP or does she just have to configure her browser to go through a
    proxy (the router's IP address...? if so what should the port number
    be...?)

    cgimofo, May 18, 2008