Trouble Ghosting Windows 2000 HD

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by mcp6453, Jul 4, 2004.

  1. mcp6453

    mcp6453 Guest

    I have spent the better part of the weekend trying to Ghost drives for
    Windows 2000 computers, partly as an excercise, partly to fix a
    computer. I have used both Ghost 2001 and Ghost 2003, booted from
    floppy.

    The results have been mixed. The drive I'm trying to Ghost is the boot
    disk. One worked, two came up with a Virtual Memory/No Swap File error,
    and the drive is not recognized in the latest. I have Ghosted MANY
    Windows 98 (FAT32) drives with no problems. There is something with
    Windows 2K/NTFS that is baffling me. What's the secret? I have followed
    the directions from the Symantec site in detail, particularly the part
    about not starting up Windows with the Ghosted drive connected at the
    same time as the boot drive.

    Second question: I want to take a Windows 2000 boot drive and make it a
    second drive. Can I or should I make the partion inactive? If it is
    active, it grabs a drive letter ahead of the CD-ROM drives, which
    creates a problem with installed applications that are accustomed to the
    CD-ROM drives being D and E. I realize that I can change the drive
    letters in Disk Manager, but I would like to know the answer to this
    question. I was able to make a FAT32 partition inactive, but I don't
    know if FDSIK works the same way for NTFS.

    mcp6453, Jul 4, 2004

  2. mcp6453

    Trent© Guest

    On Sun, 04 Jul 2004 17:24:51 GMT, mcp6453 <>
    wrote:

    >I have spent the better part of the weekend trying to Ghost drives for
    >Windows 2000 computers, partly as an excercise, partly to fix a
    >computer. I have used both Ghost 2001 and Ghost 2003, booted from
    >floppy.
    >
    >The results have been mixed. The drive I'm trying to Ghost is the boot
    >disk. One worked, two came up with a Virtual Memory/No Swap File error,
    >and the drive is not recognized in the latest. I have Ghosted MANY
    >Windows 98 (FAT32) drives with no problems. There is something with
    >Windows 2K/NTFS that is baffling me. What's the secret?

    There's really no secret. I do it all the time...although I've gotten
    more fond of Drive Image lately. Just make sure you do a CHKDSK and a
    defrag before you start. I also always compact my OE files and delete
    any temporary Internet files.

    >I have followed
    >the directions from the Symantec site in detail, particularly the part
    >about not starting up Windows with the Ghosted drive connected at the
    >same time as the boot drive.

    But that's got nothing to do with the ghosting process. It should
    complete okay...and you should then be able to boot from the new
    ghosted drive.

    Make SURE you have the latest updates for these programs. Like
    everything else that Symantec touches, this was a good program 'till
    they took it over.

    >Second question: I want to take a Windows 2000 boot drive and make it a
    >second drive. Can I or should I make the partion inactive? If it is
    >active, it grabs a drive letter ahead of the CD-ROM drives, which
    >creates a problem with installed applications that are accustomed to the
    >CD-ROM drives being D and E. I realize that I can change the drive
    >letters in Disk Manager, but I would like to know the answer to this
    >question.

    Its still always a good idea to change the letters on any optical
    drives. Some devices will change the letters anyway...no matter what
    you do to that extra drive. Digital cameras do that often...as to
    memory card readers, etc.

    Make your rom drive R...any writer W...or whatever other configuration
    that makes sense to you.

    Hope ya'll have a nice 4th of July weekend...

    Trent©

    Trent©, Jul 5, 2004