Trouble getting wireless connection before logon screen.

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by =?Utf-8?B?Sm9uYXRoYW4=?=, Feb 13, 2007.

  1. Hi I am having trouble getting computers to log into a domain via a wireless
    network. I have set the network up as follows.
    Wireless access points with WPA2-Enterprise encryption. Authentication has
    been setup to use EAP-TLS with auto-enrolling certificates via group policy.
    Client machines are Windows XP SP2 with the WPA2 fix applied. The servers
    are all Windows 2003 SP1.

    My problem....
    I can log into an account with cached credentials and the wireless network
    will work fine. However I cannot log into the domain with non-cached
    credentials, ie. I am not getting connection via a computer certificate
    before the login screen. I have tried the AuthMode=2 reg modification to
    force computer certificates. From this I can see that as soon as a
    cached-credentials user logs in the wireless network connects (there must be
    a computer certificate on the machine to allow this) however when trying to
    log in with a 'fresh' user account I cannot access the wireless network.

    Does anyone have any ideas where Im going wrong.

    Thanks
    Jonathan

    =?Utf-8?B?Sm9uYXRoYW4=?=, Feb 13, 2007

  2. any solution?

    I am testing out new flat panel PCs with the Atheros AR5006EG wireless. I had pre logon connection working, though I am not sure how, up until yesterday. For some reason now, the wireless will not connect before the logon screen anymore. Now the accounts must be cached. I had AutoAdminLogon=1 with a particular account, and I once held the shift to force it to not login, so I could login as a different account. I believe that is when it stopped working. I get this damn strange feeling that it has something to do with a registry setting that is telling it to authenticate and connect before logon. If you have found any solutions to this or any ideas, please let me know.

    Gregory Zingler, Nov 28, 2008