    She did have a power surge in Sept. and she says that's when she had trouble
    getting to sites. I guess Compaq worked with her for awhile and then told
    her nothing is wrong.

    Po, Dec 6, 2003

  2. Po

    Boomer Guest

    "Po" <> wrote in
    news:wXoAb.4325$:

    > A friend of mine has trouble getting to sites on the internet. She
    > types in www.google.com and she gets "this page cannot be
    > displayed". If she types in other sites, she gets the same message
    > (or see below). She can download the latest virus update though.
    >
    > She has cable and is running windows XP home. Compaq brand. RCA
    > digital broadband modem.
    >
    > She typed an address into a window and 27 windows opened. When she
    > clicks on the windows there is nothing there.
    >
    > She did have a power surge in Sept. and she says that's when she
    > had trouble getting to sites. I guess Compaq worked with her for
    > awhile and then told her nothing is wrong.

    You might want to check out:
    http://www.spywareinfo.com/articles/cws/

    Install, at least, the first three.
    Keep updated and use often. :)

    Ad-aware (Aims at Adware/Spyware.)
    http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

    SpybotSD Aims for the dialers, trojans,
    hijackers and security/privacy issues.
    http://www.safer-networking.org/

    Spyware Blaster

    http://vipmeister.com/dl/aspy/aspy.html

    StartupList, HijackThis and CoolWebShredder
    http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/

    Info on above and more.

    Parasites: Cookies, Dialers, Keyloggers, Trackers
    http://www.generation.net/~hleboeuf/bhoindex.htm

    ~ Spyware Information ~
    http://www.cexx.org/adware.htm

    ~Unsolicited commercial software list and info~
    http://www.doxdesk.com/parasite/

    ~Other software~
    http://www.wilders.org/

    Newsgroup: alt.privacy.spyware

    Top 10 Tips to Keep Your Computer Virus-Free
    http://www.symantec.com/homecomputing/library/topten.html

    Boomer, Dec 6, 2003