Trouble Getting Internet in Coffee Houses

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by David F, Sep 21, 2008.

  1. David F

    David F Guest

    In US I have Verizon WWAN but I'm out of the country and I'm having trouble
    seeing the Internet sometimes when I try to connect with the wireless with
    no security. Generally a re-boot fixes the problem.

    Vista Business 32 SP1
    Intel 4965 AGN Driver 12.0.0.82 07/08/2008 Most up-to-date

    ipconfig/renew does not work as it says the wireless adapter isn't
    connected.

    Should I disable the IP6? Are there other things I can do since I don't
    have control over the router's firmware?

    I looked at this, but it seems to work only if you own the router:
    http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums/viewtopic.php?t=506&sid=a92829da9df97c7a8f708d8f33ff88c7

    I also looked at this. Can I set up a static IP address even if it is a
    public router? Also, should I just set it to a static DNS? TIA
    http://chicagotech.net/netforums/viewtopic.php?p=1535&sid=ced1255ffd27f2f194e4ce6464b05423

    David F, Sep 21, 2008

  2. David F

    David F Guest

    I meant to add that since a re-boot fixes the problem, what can I do in
    order to reset the adapter as if I had done a re-boot? What is the re-boot
    doing that I can manually do? TIA

    David F, Sep 21, 2008

  3. David F

    Big_Al Guest

    David F wrote:
    > I meant to add that since a re-boot fixes the problem, what can I do in
    > order to reset the adapter as if I had done a re-boot? What is the
    > re-boot doing that I can manually do? TIA
    >
    > "David F" <> wrote in message
    >> In US I have Verizon WWAN but I'm out of the country and I'm having
    >> trouble seeing the Internet sometimes when I try to connect with the
    >> wireless with no security. Generally a re-boot fixes the problem.
    >>
    >> Vista Business 32 SP1
    >> Intel 4965 AGN Driver 12.0.0.82 07/08/2008 Most up-to-date
    >>
    >> ipconfig/renew does not work as it says the wireless adapter isn't
    >> connected.
    >>
    >> Should I disable the IP6? Are there other things I can do since I
    >> don't have control over the router's firmware?
    >>
    >> I looked at this, but it seems to work only if you own the router:
    >> http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums/viewtopic.php?t=506&sid=a92829da9df97c7a8f708d8f33ff88c7
    >>

    >> I also looked at this. Can I set up a static IP address even if it is
    >> a public router? Also, should I just set it to a static DNS? TIA
    >> http://chicagotech.net/netforums/viewtopic.php?p=1535&sid=ced1255ffd27f2f194e4ce6464b05423

    ipconf /release
    ipconf /renew

    These commands should make the wireless reset the connection to a
    router. If you are already disconnected then you don't need # 1.

    That or just "repair" the network connection.

    Big_Al, Sep 21, 2008
  4. Hi
    If the power saving of the Wireless card is checked to save, Uncheck it.
    I.e. get the network components out of the Power saving loop.
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Sep 22, 2008
  5. David F

    David F Guest

    It is set to maximum performance.
    I lost the connection momentarily just now. I tried ipconfig/renew and this
    is what I got:

    No operation can be performed on Local Area Connection while it has its
    media disconnected.
    Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:
    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : siemens
    IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.4

    When it reconnected by itself this is the ipconfig/all for the wireless
    adapter:

    Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:
    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : siemens
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1D-E0-0A-24-BB
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.4(Preferred)
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Monday, September 22, 2008 10:36:35 AM
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, September 23, 2008 10:54:40 AM
    NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

    ***
    Do you know what is going on and how I can fix this? TIA

    David F, Sep 22, 2008