trouble getting dv in from camcorder detected

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by John, Nov 26, 2006.

  1. John

    John Guest

    I just wondered if anyone else has trouble getting their camcorder
    recognised when they are connecting it to their computer with the DV
    cable?

    I've always found it to be really temperamental and a lot of the time
    it simply doesn't detect it.

    I have a 1394 port on the front of my computer on the Sound Blaster
    bay, and there is also one on the back.

    I've tried both tonight but it just isn't recognising it.

    When I go into Nero to capture video the DV option isn't available in
    the drop down, only the ATI capture option from the TV Tuner.

    Can anyone suggest anything to get the DV input recognised?

    I have tried a few different things so far. I've tried connecting with
    the Camcorder switched off and then turning it on after the cable is
    put in. I've tried it the other way around by having the camcorder on
    and then putting the cable in. I've tried just restarting the computer
    a few times with the cable in and camcorder switched on, and also off
    etc, and also just plugging the cable in after it has booted up. I've
    tried in both slots at the front and back but so far nothing.

    If you can offer any advice on this or suggest anything I'd appreciate
    it.

    Cheers

    John

    System Details:

    XP Pro (SP2)
    Camcorder: Canon ZR
    CPU AMD Barton 2500
    Memory 1024MB
    Plenty of Hard Drive Space left

    John, Nov 26, 2006

  2. John

    Tony Morgan Guest

    In message <>, John
    <> writes
    >I just wondered if anyone else has trouble getting their camcorder
    >recognised when they are connecting it to their computer with the DV
    >cable?
    >
    >I've always found it to be really temperamental and a lot of the time
    >it simply doesn't detect it.
    >
    >I have a 1394 port on the front of my computer on the Sound Blaster
    >bay, and there is also one on the back.
    >
    >I've tried both tonight but it just isn't recognising it.
    >
    >When I go into Nero to capture video the DV option isn't available in
    >the drop down, only the ATI capture option from the TV Tuner.
    >
    >Can anyone suggest anything to get the DV input recognised?
    >
    >I have tried a few different things so far. I've tried connecting with
    >the Camcorder switched off and then turning it on after the cable is
    >put in. I've tried it the other way around by having the camcorder on
    >and then putting the cable in. I've tried just restarting the computer
    >a few times with the cable in and camcorder switched on, and also off
    >etc, and also just plugging the cable in after it has booted up. I've
    >tried in both slots at the front and back but so far nothing.
    >
    >If you can offer any advice on this or suggest anything I'd appreciate
    >it.

    Are you using Nero Vision? Some releases of Nero don't include it.

    Irrespective, it's worth trying to capture using Microsoft Movie Maker
    (which is included with XP SR2).

    You might also try re-installing Nero (providing that your issue
    includes Nero Vision).
    --
    Tony Morgan

    Tony Morgan, Nov 26, 2006

  3. John

    John Guest

    On Sun, 26 Nov 2006 17:39:17 +0000, Tony Morgan <>
    wrote:

    >In message <>, John
    ><> writes
    >>I just wondered if anyone else has trouble getting their camcorder
    >>recognised when they are connecting it to their computer with the DV
    >>cable?
    >>
    >>I've always found it to be really temperamental and a lot of the time
    >>it simply doesn't detect it.
    >>
    >>I have a 1394 port on the front of my computer on the Sound Blaster
    >>bay, and there is also one on the back.
    >>
    >>I've tried both tonight but it just isn't recognising it.
    >>
    >>When I go into Nero to capture video the DV option isn't available in
    >>the drop down, only the ATI capture option from the TV Tuner.
    >>
    >>Can anyone suggest anything to get the DV input recognised?
    >>
    >>I have tried a few different things so far. I've tried connecting with
    >>the Camcorder switched off and then turning it on after the cable is
    >>put in. I've tried it the other way around by having the camcorder on
    >>and then putting the cable in. I've tried just restarting the computer
    >>a few times with the cable in and camcorder switched on, and also off
    >>etc, and also just plugging the cable in after it has booted up. I've
    >>tried in both slots at the front and back but so far nothing.
    >>
    >>If you can offer any advice on this or suggest anything I'd appreciate
    >>it.

    >Are you using Nero Vision? Some releases of Nero don't include it.
    >
    >Irrespective, it's worth trying to capture using Microsoft Movie Maker
    >(which is included with XP SR2).
    >
    >You might also try re-installing Nero (providing that your issue
    >includes Nero Vision).

    Hi Tony.

    Yes I was using Nero. I have used it before and the option for DV has
    been in the drop down menu at the top left hand side, but this time it
    is only showing the ATI capture (TV Tuner).

    In the past Windows has also recognised the device in the system tray
    when I have connected the DV-IN cable. It has shown up as Canon ZR in
    the system tray. It doesn't seem to be doing it tonight though.

    I never use the Microsoft Movie Maker on my system because in the past
    whenever I have used it, it has always crashed. I think I must just
    have a buggy version of it.

    John

    John, Nov 26, 2006
  4. John

    Jerry Guest

    "John" <> wrote in message
    <snip>

    > I never use the Microsoft Movie Maker on my system because in the

    past
    > whenever I have used it, it has always crashed. I think I must just
    > have a buggy version of it.

    More likely a buggy system, which might also be the cause of your
    present problems. IIRC there has been issues in the past with some
    sound cards that also have a 1394 ports, although I don't recall the
    details.

    Jerry, Nov 26, 2006
  5. John

    G Hardy Guest

    "John" <> wrote in message
    >I just wondered if anyone else has trouble getting their camcorder
    > recognised when they are connecting it to their computer with the DV
    > cable?
    >
    > I've always found it to be really temperamental and a lot of the time
    > it simply doesn't detect it.
    >
    > I have a 1394 port on the front of my computer on the Sound Blaster
    > bay, and there is also one on the back.
    >
    > I've tried both tonight but it just isn't recognising it.
    >
    > When I go into Nero to capture video the DV option isn't available in
    > the drop down, only the ATI capture option from the TV Tuner.
    >
    > Can anyone suggest anything to get the DV input recognised?
    >
    > I have tried a few different things so far. I've tried connecting with
    > the Camcorder switched off and then turning it on after the cable is
    > put in. I've tried it the other way around by having the camcorder on
    > and then putting the cable in. I've tried just restarting the computer
    > a few times with the cable in and camcorder switched on, and also off
    > etc, and also just plugging the cable in after it has booted up. I've
    > tried in both slots at the front and back but so far nothing.
    >
    > If you can offer any advice on this or suggest anything I'd appreciate
    > it.

    I've just had a similar problem - it turned out to be the firewire cable was
    a PoS...

    G Hardy, Nov 26, 2006