    Any suggestions to solve this problem?

    Thanks,
    Lana
    Cookie Cutter, Apr 4, 2009

  2. Cookie Cutter wrote:

    > My aunt has a Gateway laptop with 1M of memory.

    1 Gigabyte?

    > She uses Thunderbird to read email. She gets the message that some
    > number of emails are being downloading ... she waits ... then she may
    > get the message that it has timed out. She may try several times to
    > read her email with no success. The next day, it may work perfectly.
    > Then the next day it will be the same problem.

    Most likely either a mail server problem or the connection. Has she
    phoned the ISP yet?

    Have you tested her (unmentioned) connection? Dialup/DSL/cable? Done a
    speed test when the problem occurs?

    Oh, clean out Inbox of old stuff and compact folders.

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Apr 4, 2009

  3. Cookie Cutter

    VanguardLH Guest

    Cookie Cutter wrote:

    > My aunt has a Gateway laptop with 1M of memory.
    >
    > She uses Thunderbird to read email. She gets the message that some
    > number of emails are being downloading ... she waits ... then she may
    > get the message that it has timed out. She may try several times to
    > read her email with no success. The next day, it may work perfectly.
    > Then the next day it will be the same problem.
    >
    > Any suggestions to solve this problem?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Lana

    Yet had her temporarily disable the anti-virus program to see if the
    problem goes away? E-mail scanning is superfluous but it causes delay
    during interrogation that leads to timeouts and retries.
    VanguardLH, Apr 5, 2009
  4. VanguardLH wrote:
    > Cookie Cutter wrote:
    >
    >> My aunt has a Gateway laptop with 1M of memory.
    >>
    >> She uses Thunderbird to read email. She gets the message that some
    >> number of emails are being downloading ... she waits ... then she may
    >> get the message that it has timed out. She may try several times to
    >> read her email with no success. The next day, it may work perfectly.
    >> Then the next day it will be the same problem.
    >>
    >> Any suggestions to solve this problem?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> Lana

    > Yet had her temporarily disable the anti-virus program to see if the
    > problem goes away? E-mail scanning is superfluous but it causes delay
    > during interrogation that leads to timeouts and retries.

    Thank you, I will give that a try. I had made sure that the firewall
    was not blocking downloads, but it didn't help. I will see if it is the
    anti-virus.
    Cookie Cutter, Apr 5, 2009
  5. Cookie Cutter wrote:

    > My aunt has a Gateway laptop with 1M of memory.
    >
    > She uses Thunderbird to read email. She gets the message that some
    > number of emails are being downloading ... she waits ... then she may
    > get the message that it has timed out. She may try several times to
    > read her email with no success. The next day, it may work perfectly.
    > Then the next day it will be the same problem.
    >
    > Any suggestions to solve this problem?

    Make a link for her to access the mail directly via web from the ISPs or
    mail provider's server. Almost every ISP has that, it's a interface just
    like hotmail or yahoo mail. She just needs to logon and can read/delete
    junk with huge attachments online so it won't get downloaded to the
    thunderbird next time.
    wisdomkiller & pain, Apr 5, 2009
  6. Cookie Cutter wrote:
    > My aunt has a Gateway laptop with 1M of memory.
    >
    > She uses Thunderbird to read email. She gets the message that some
    > number of emails are being downloading ... she waits ... then she may
    > get the message that it has timed out. She may try several times to
    > read her email with no success. The next day, it may work perfectly.
    > Then the next day it will be the same problem.
    >
    > Any suggestions to solve this problem?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Lana

    Learn how to just download headers instead of the typical headers *and*
    bodies method.
    Here:http://kb.mozillazine.org/Download_only_certain_POP_messages

    HTH

    --