    Is there a program that will let me copy and just skip the problem
    files?

    Thanks

    Joel, Dec 6, 2004

  2. Joel

    Richard Guest

    Joel wrote:

    > I am trying to copy all of my C disk to a new F hard drive. I keep
    > running into files that it won't copy and then the whole copy stops.

    > Is there a program that will let me copy and just skip the problem
    > files?

    > Thanks

    What you need to do is to run your setup programs and install the programs
    on the F drive.
    The only other way would be to exit windows and do the copying in dos.

    Richard, Dec 6, 2004

  3. Joel

    °Mike° Guest

    °Mike°, Dec 6, 2004
  4. Joel

    °Mike° Guest

    On Mon, 6 Dec 2004 12:21:36 -0600, in
    <>
    Richard scrawled:

    > Joel wrote:
    >
    > > I am trying to copy all of my C disk to a new F hard drive. I keep
    > > running into files that it won't copy and then the whole copy stops.

    > > Is there a program that will let me copy and just skip the problem
    > > files?

    > > Thanks

    >What you need to do is to run your setup programs and install the programs
    >on the F drive.
    >The only other way would be to exit windows and do the copying in dos.

    No how about re-reading the question?

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Dec 6, 2004
  5. Joel

    Timberwolf Guest

    "Joel" <joelpkNOjUNK@@usa.net> wrote in message
    >I am trying to copy all of my C disk to a new F hard drive. I keep
    > running into files that it won't copy and then the whole copy stops.
    >
    > Is there a program that will let me copy and just skip the problem
    > files?
    >
    > Thanks

    It probably fails because files are in use--anti viri/windows etc.
    Get a copy of ghost and image the drive---no problem ,also some versions of
    partition magic(i think) will allow whole disc copy/imaging but not used it
    in a while

    Timberwolf, Dec 6, 2004
  6. Joel

    Valverdez Guest

    > What you need to do is to run your setup programs and install the programs
    > on the F drive.
    > The only other way would be to exit windows and do the copying in dos.

    Richard, dude, no offence but you need to ask WHY is he trying to copy the
    contents of C to another dive. I think what he is trying to do is move the
    C to the new drive, or maybe make a backup of C for future recovery. If
    either of those are the case Joel, you need to get yourself a copy of
    Symantec or Norton GHOST. It's important to realize that it serves no
    purpose to copy the contents of ones C drive to another, by simply "copy /
    paste", it doesn't work like that. What you need to do is build an image of
    the C drive with Ghost, you can then move to the new drive or in the event
    of a system crash, run Ghost and restore from your previous image.

    For future consideration, if you have two partitions or two physical drives,
    install to C as you normally would but direct all your documents to the
    other partition (D) (example, My Documents would be D:\My Documents) and run
    an incremental backup of important files like Windows Address books, IE
    Favorites, maybe the Windows desktop and save that backup on the D drive.
    Next time your computer crashes all you need to do is run Ghost to reimage
    the C and restore from your backup, viola. In simpler terms, leave your OS
    and installed applications on your C drive and everything else, the files
    you create like MP3's, movies, downloads etc go to the D drive. Doing this
    you will never have to spend hours reinstalling Windows, reconfiguring your
    Internet connection, printers, drivers, sound card, video etc... If your
    system crashes, it's a 20 to 30 minute (depending on the size of the image
    of course) job consisting or reboot with a win startup disk, launch Ghost,
    browse to your image file, restore and go watch TV till it's done.

    I honestly don't know why everyone doesn't do this I have an image on my D
    drive that I keep as backup and I refresh that image (make new one) every
    couple of months. For added security, after installing and setting up your
    system with all drivers and applications, make a Ghost image and store it on
    CD (Ghost can span the image file to 2 or more CD's if needed) and keep that
    in a safe place, protected from Virus or corruption.

    Hope this better answers your question Joel.

    Valverde

    Valverdez, Dec 6, 2004
  7. Joel

    PC Guest

    "Joel" <joelpkNOjUNK@@usa.net> wrote in message
    >I am trying to copy all of my C disk to a new F hard drive. I keep
    > running into files that it won't copy and then the whole copy stops.
    >
    > Is there a program that will let me copy and just skip the problem
    > files?
    >
    > Thanks

    Open a DOS box vis:

    Start
    Run
    type "Command" ("Cmd" if you're using XP)
    Enter

    Now type after the '>' prompt

    cd c:\ (enter) (note the space after cd, moves you to the root of C:
    drive)

    Then type in the following

    xcopy c:*.* f: /e/c/h/r/k (enter) (note space before and after f:

    Then sit back and watch the files being copied. I think it skips the swap
    file and the restore folder which you won't need anyway.

    No need for 'Ghost', I use xcopy regularly when replacing a hard drive.

    Cheers
    Paul.

    PC, Dec 7, 2004
  8. Joel

    Emrys Davies Guest

    "PC" ,

    Would you be more explicit. I follow the MS-Dos Prompt, but I certainly
    have no idea how that fits into the copying of files to another media.

    A 'walk through' would be much appreciated.

    Thanks,
    Emrys Davies.

    Emrys Davies, Dec 7, 2004
  9. Joel

    PC Guest

    "Emrys Davies" <> wrote in message
    > "PC" ,
    >
    > Would you be more explicit. I follow the MS-Dos Prompt, but I certainly
    > have no idea how that fits into the copying of files to another media.
    >
    > A 'walk through' would be much appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Emrys Davies.
    >

    > "PC" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Joel" <joelpkNOjUNK@@usa.net> wrote in message
    >> >I am trying to copy all of my C disk to a new F hard drive. I keep
    >> > running into files that it won't copy and then the whole copy stops.
    >> >
    >> > Is there a program that will let me copy and just skip the problem
    >> > files?
    >> >
    >> > Thanks

    >> Open a DOS box vis:
    >>
    >> Start
    >> Run
    >> type "Command" ("Cmd" if you're using XP)
    >> Enter
    >>
    >> Now type after the '>' prompt
    >>
    >> cd c:\ (enter) (note the space after cd, moves you to the root of C:
    >> drive)
    >>
    >> Then type in the following
    >>
    >> xcopy c:*.* f: /e/c/h/r/k (enter) (note space before and after f:
    >>
    >> Then sit back and watch the files being copied. I think it skips the

    > swap
    >> file and the restore folder which you won't need anyway.
    >>
    >> No need for 'Ghost', I use xcopy regularly when replacing a hard

    > drive.
    >>
    >> Cheers
    >> Paul.

    Emrys

    xcopy is a command line utility for copying files, as such it does not have
    a nice pretty GUI for you to drag and drop with.

    What I have given you will make xcopy copy all but one or two files from
    your C: drive to your F: drive. Once you have done that you can swap the
    leads to each drive and C will become F and F will become C and the boot
    drive.
    (the jumper settings for master/slave on the back of the drive may have to
    be changed to match the other drive)

    If you want to know more about the xcopy command, type "xcopy /?" in a DOS
    box.

    Print out the instructions and type away, it does work believe me.

    On the other hand if it all appears to hard then you'll have to spring for a
    copy of Ghost, sorry.

    PC

    PC, Dec 8, 2004
  10. Joel

    Guest

    On Wed, 8 Dec 2004 20:04:05 +1300, "PC" <> wrote:

    |> > A 'walk through' would be much appreciated.

    |> xcopy is a command line utility for copying files, as such it does not have
    |> a nice pretty GUI for you to drag and drop with.
    |>
    |> What I have given you will make xcopy copy all but one or two files from
    |> your C: drive to your F: drive. Once you have done that you can swap the
    |> leads to each drive and C will become F and F will become C and the boot
    |> drive.
    |> (the jumper settings for master/slave on the back of the drive may have to
    |> be changed to match the other drive)

    You will also need to run Fixmbr! On the slave drive before you start
    taking things apart, or you will get a no operating system error on boot
    up when you change the drives.

    Microsoft:
    http://tinyurl.com/2cg2u

    The real world: