Trouble connecting to public WiFi networks

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Marz, Oct 23, 2009.

  1. Marz

    Marz Guest

    I am suddenly having trouble connecting to WiFi networks with my laptop.
    Here are the details:

    I am using a Dell Inspiron laptop with a Dell Wireless 1390 WLAN Mini-card.
    I usually use the local county libraries' WiFi network. I visit more than
    one branch.
    I also go to a local mall that has a number of WiFi connections available.
    I have been doing this for over two years without problems.

    It used to be that, when I started my laptop and opened my browser (IE or
    FireFox), I would connect to either the library's WiFi or the mall's WiFi. (I
    saved my connections.)

    No matter which WiFi network I connect to, the signal strength indicator
    always shows the maximum number of green bars.
    I don't think it's my browser. This occurs when I use IE8 or FireFox 3.4.3.

    In the past couple of weeks I have had problems connecting to these WiFi
    networks when I start up my computer.

    The solution is simple: I disconnect and then reconnect to the network. I do
    this by clicking the "Connect or Disconnect" link on the little pop-up menu
    from my network Taskbar icon.
    That opens the "Connect to a network" window.

    Even though the solution is simple to do, I am wondering if something is
    wrong with my computer or the software running on it. I am using Vista Home
    Premium and I install the latest updates.

    I am pretty sure that the libraries' WiFi network hasn't changed.
    I am pretty sure that the mall's WiFi networks haven't changed. There are
    three available for the mall and I also use Panera Bread's WiFi.

    At the suggestion of a response from a Dell forum, I tried downloading and
    reinstalling the driver for my Dell Mini-card. That did not work.

    Does anyone else have any suggestions?
    Can I provide any additional information?
    Do WiFi cards go bad?

    Marz, Oct 23, 2009

  2. Hi
    The Browser is Not a good agent to start Wireless connection, the regular
    process is to make sure that you do have a network connection to the Network
    of your choice, and then start the Browser.
    In any case take a look at the Wireless preferred list and make sure that
    you remove undesirable connection and put the connection that you need at
    the top of the list.
    Win XP, http://www.ezlan.net/wireless/wzc3.jpg
    Vista, http://www.ezlan.net/vista/wireless_manager.jpg
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).