Trouble connecting to a public wireless hub

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by e_canton@hotmail.com, Jun 30, 2007.

  1. Guest

    I'm just trying to understand what happens in the following scenario.

    I work at a remote oil exploration facility (think Siberia, only
    colder) that has wireless routers here and there so we can get
    on-line. The trouble is that this is often difficult to do but it all
    depends on what I'm trying to do.

    Things like Skype work good. Using Agent Newsreader to get on the
    Usenet invariably works pretty good (frequent stops and starts but the
    speed is ok and it always connects). These are rare.

    Now, try to see something like the New York Times online and I often
    have problems. It simply will not connect and I get that offer from
    Windows to try and diagnose the problem. I occasionally do the
    repair, etc. but it doesn't help.

    I usually blame these problems on the amount of people trying to use
    the wireless hubs but the load varies from a couple people that I can
    see to a lot of folks. I sit close to the router so signal strength
    is excellent but it doesn't seem to help.

    Why does something like Skype work well? Low bandwidth requirements?
    Lots of ways to make connections?

    Is there software I can use that can help my sucess is using these
    wireless hubs? (get connected and stay connected). The guys playing
    Warcraft don't seem to have problems. Do they know something I don't
    know and they won't tell me because I'm an old geezer?

    And does anyone know of a Usenet site where you can download the news
    and read it later off-line?

    Any help and/or enlightenment you can give me would be greatly
    appreciated

    , Jun 30, 2007

  2. I was in China last 3 weeks and had the similar issue. I created a VPN back to USA that improve the speed. This link may help,

    VPN, TS and Remote AccessNo new posts, Improve speed accessing the Internet from other country, 2, chicagotech, 162, Thu Jun 14, 2007 1:45 am chicagotech ยท View latest post ...
    http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums/viewforum.php?f=2

    Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE

    Robert L [MVP - Networking], Jun 30, 2007