Trouble clearing a printer queue

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Thorney, Jul 12, 2005.

  1. Thorney

    Thorney Guest

    I have a hp pavillion ze4400 desktop, Win XP home, hp
    psc1210 printer. Occasionally the print process fails
    early in printing a large picture (e.g. 8 x 10 inch,
    spool size 19MB or up...). This happens most often
    if the print job comes in over the network, so there is
    an easy workaround (if I print from the computer the
    printer is attached to, it prints fine). BUT...
    Once the job has stuck, I can't do the next job till
    I clear the stuck one. And opening the printer window
    and "delete job" or "delete all jobs" doesn't do it;
    it says "deleting" but then sits there in that state.
    Doing a complete retart of the machine two or three
    times(after asking it to delete the job) has cleared the
    printer queue, so far, but it is a real nuisance. Is there
    an obvious cause, or a better way to clear the queue?
    (even killing a process with task manager, or deleting
    a registry entry?)
    Danke schoen mit schokolade.
    --
    Thorney

    Thorney, Jul 12, 2005

  2. "Thorney" <> wrote in message
    >I have a hp pavillion ze4400 desktop, Win XP home, hp psc1210 printer.
    >Occasionally the print process fails
    > early in printing a large picture (e.g. 8 x 10 inch,
    > spool size 19MB or up...). This happens most often
    > if the print job comes in over the network, so there is
    > an easy workaround (if I print from the computer the
    > printer is attached to, it prints fine). BUT...
    > Once the job has stuck, I can't do the next job till
    > I clear the stuck one. And opening the printer window
    > and "delete job" or "delete all jobs" doesn't do it;
    > it says "deleting" but then sits there in that state.
    > Doing a complete retart of the machine two or three
    > times(after asking it to delete the job) has cleared the printer queue, so
    > far, but it is a real nuisance. Is there
    > an obvious cause, or a better way to clear the queue?
    > (even killing a process with task manager, or deleting
    > a registry entry?)
    > Danke schoen mit schokolade.
    > --
    > Thorney

    Unplug the printer from the wall for 30 seconds or so. If that doesn't work
    by itself, combine with a reboot.

    Joe

    Joseph E. Johnston, Jul 12, 2005

  3. Thorney

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Thorney" <> wrote in message
    >I have a hp pavillion ze4400 desktop, Win XP home, hp psc1210 printer.
    >Occasionally the print process fails
    > early in printing a large picture (e.g. 8 x 10 inch,
    > spool size 19MB or up...). This happens most often
    > if the print job comes in over the network, so there is
    > an easy workaround (if I print from the computer the
    > printer is attached to, it prints fine). BUT...
    > Once the job has stuck, I can't do the next job till
    > I clear the stuck one. And opening the printer window
    > and "delete job" or "delete all jobs" doesn't do it;
    > it says "deleting" but then sits there in that state.
    > Doing a complete retart of the machine two or three
    > times(after asking it to delete the job) has cleared the printer queue, so
    > far, but it is a real nuisance. Is there
    > an obvious cause, or a better way to clear the queue?
    > (even killing a process with task manager, or deleting
    > a registry entry?)
    > Danke schoen mit schokolade.
    > --
    > Thorney

    Go to the following folder:

    C:\windows\system32\spool\printers and delete the files there. If they are
    'in use' that won't work, but it should after one reboot.

    If you find that it doesn't work even after a reboot, there is a utility
    available that will move files on reboot. That utility should be able to
    move the files out of the spool file into someplace where you can delete it
    from.

    Toolman Tim, Jul 12, 2005
  4. Thorney

    Unk Guest

    On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 17:48:24 -0400, Thorney <> wrote:

    >I have a hp pavillion ze4400 desktop, Win XP home, hp
    >psc1210 printer. Occasionally the print process fails
    >early in printing a large picture (e.g. 8 x 10 inch,
    >spool size 19MB or up...). This happens most often
    >if the print job comes in over the network, so there is
    >an easy workaround (if I print from the computer the
    >printer is attached to, it prints fine). BUT...
    > Once the job has stuck, I can't do the next job till
    >I clear the stuck one. And opening the printer window
    >and "delete job" or "delete all jobs" doesn't do it;
    >it says "deleting" but then sits there in that state.
    > Doing a complete retart of the machine two or three
    >times(after asking it to delete the job) has cleared the
    >printer queue, so far, but it is a real nuisance. Is there
    >an obvious cause, or a better way to clear the queue?
    >(even killing a process with task manager, or deleting
    >a registry entry?)
    > Danke schoen mit schokolade.

    Try flushing the print spooler...

    Right-click "My Computer", Manage, expand "Services and Applications", click "Services", scroll
    your way down the list to "Print Spooler", click "Stop" the service. When the service returns
    "Stopped", right-click the taskbar print icon and select "Update". When the Icon disappears, go
    back and restarte the service. In some rare instances, you need to Log off then Log on again.

    Unk, Jul 13, 2005
  5. Thorney

    pcbutts1 Guest

    From the printers properties page turn off bidirectional communication.