    320 GB SATA HD
    NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT
    Windows XP Professional x64

    peteryoungblood86, Feb 20, 2009

  2. peteryoungblood86

    R. C. White Guest

    Hi, Peter.

    Have you gone into the BIOS and designated your SATA drive as the boot
    device?

    > I get the "select proper boot device" error.

    At what point do you get this error? My guess is that it comes at the
    beginning of the boot process, before Windows even starts to load. So it is
    a system error, not a Windows problem. The BIOS is still set to boot from
    that IDE drive - which no longer exists. Nothing you can do in Windows - or
    even the Recovery Console - can help the system find Boot.ini on a drive
    that is no longer there.

    If you need help getting into your BIOS, please tell us the make and model
    of your computer - or of your motherboard and BIOS if you build it yourself.
    Various computers use various keys or combinations to enter the
    BIOS-changing utility, but the proper incantation must be invoked at the
    very beginning of the boot process, while the computer is "counting the RAM"
    and finding out how many hard drives are in your system and what kinds they
    are. On my computer, I must press the <Del> key at this point; others use
    the <F10> or <F2> key - or some other combo. If you have an owner's manual
    for your computer, it should tell you. Or give us some clues and we can
    probably help you find the right procedure. (It sounds like you are way
    ahead of me on this, but your post didn't mention "BIOS".)

    Another possibility is that you may need to just edit Boot.ini's rdisk(#) to
    reflect that what used to be rdisk(1) is now rdisk(0).

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    Microsoft Windows MVP
    Windows Live Mail 2009 (14.0.8064.0206) in Win7 Ultimate x64 7000

    "peteryoungblood86" <> wrote in
    message news:...

    R. C. White, Feb 20, 2009

  3. peteryoungblood86

    andy Guest

    On Fri, 20 Feb 2009 06:44:03 -0800, peteryoungblood86
    <> wrote:

    >Hello. I had two hard drives installed in my computer and set it up to be
    >able to boot from either drive into XP. One is SATA and the other IDE. I
    >removed the IDE drive because it is having some problems. However, now, I
    >cannot boot using my SATA -- I get the "select proper boot device" error.
    >I've gone through the recovery console and rebuilt the boot.ini file and ran
    >CHKDSK with no errors reported. I've tried FIXBOOT and FIXMBR.
    >One thing I noticed is that, prior to removing the IDE drive, the SATA drive
    >letter was D:. Now, the recovery console seems to recognize it as C:. Would
    >this make the system unable to find the proper files to boot?

    No.
    Requirements for booting from the SATA disk:
    1. Primary partition marked as active.
    2. Files ntldr, ntdetect.com, and boot.ini in primary partition.
    3. Boot sector that runs ntldr.

    andy, Feb 20, 2009
  4. Thanks for the reply. The SATA drive is set in the BIOS as my boot device.
    The error does come right before the Windows XP splash loading screen is
    supposed to appear.
    From the Recovery Console, I have edited the Boot.ini so that it only has
    one item listed, which is rdisk(0). Any other ideas? Thanks again for the
    help.

    peteryoungblood86, Feb 20, 2009
  5. Andy, thanks for the reply.
    In the recovery console, by using the "DIR" command, I see that all the
    files needed to boot are on the hard drive. However, I'm not sure how I would
    go about making sure that my partition is marked as active. Could you
    possibly explain how I might do that? Thanks again.

    peteryoungblood86, Feb 20, 2009
  6. peteryoungblood86

    Dennis Pack Guest

    peteryoungblood86:
    If you're running XP or XPx64, dot the operating system disk
    into the CD/DVD drive with the boot order set to boot from the CD/DVD drive
    first. Restart the system but don't hit any key to boot from the disk. If
    the system boots into the operating system you can then go into disk manager
    to set the SATA drive active.

    --
    Dennis Pack
    Win7

    Dennis Pack, Feb 21, 2009
  7. Dennis,
    When I boot from the disk, it goes straight into Windows Setup and not into
    the operating system itself. As far as I can see, there is no way to get into
    disk manager from setup. Is there something I can do to boot the OS from the
    disk instead of Windows Setup? Thanks for the reply.

    peteryoungblood86, Feb 21, 2009
  8. peteryoungblood86

    Dennis Pack Guest

    peteryoungblood86:
    If you're going straight into setup it sounds like the operating
    system isn't recognizing the SATA drive. Hit enter to start the operating
    system install then hit f6 to load the SATA drivers from a floppy disk
    copied from the motherboard disk, pass the first "R" (recovery counsel), hit
    f8 to agree to terms then hit "R" to perform a repair installation.

    --
    Dennis Pack
    Win7

    Dennis Pack, Feb 21, 2009