Trouble Booting System

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by KatonahJoe, May 14, 2004.

  1. KatonahJoe

    KatonahJoe Guest

    I have been having difficulty booting my system for 2 days. I am running
    Windows XP Home Edition with 256 ram.

    When I start up my computer, I get different results each time until
    eventually after several tries I am able to successfully boot the computer.

    I get several different error messages in these attempts to boot but the 2
    most common are:

    1. " A problem is preventing Windows from acccurately checking the license
    for this computer - Error Code 0x80040057" which comes up right after the
    Welcome Screen appears. I have also been getting messages the last few days
    about accepting the End User License Agreement when I open Excel or Word.
    Also, a dialog box will occasionally pop up saying that "Windows is
    reconfiguring Windows XP Home Edition" while I am on the internet. Excel and
    Word both work fine. These happen after successful boot attempts.

    2."Virtual Memory Too Low - windows is increasing your virtual memory paging
    file. During this process, memory requests for some appplications may be
    denied." This message appeared a couple of times when my Quick Launch and
    Desktop toolbars appeared. I was unable to log on the internet or use
    Control Panel, Excel, etc.

    I recently loaded a spyware removal program called Spyhunter. Could this be
    corrupting my system?

    I ran Live Update and used Norton Anitvirus to scan my computer and found no
    viruses. I have been regularly instaling Windows Updates as soon as the icon
    appears in my toolbar.
    KatonahJoe, May 14, 2004

  2. KatonahJoe

    PuppyKatt Guest

    1. Get rid of SpyHunter, and get AdAware, Spybot Search and Destroy, and
    Spyware Blaster.
    2. Get rid of Norton ANYTHING, and get a real antivirus, one that does
    not gobble system resources.

    --
    Thou shalt not admit adultry.
    :
    PuppyKatt, May 14, 2004

  3. KatonahJoe

    Dan Shea Guest

    On Fri, 14 May 2004 10:11:07 GMT, "KatonahJoe"
    <> wrote:

    >I have been having difficulty booting my system for 2 days. I am running
    >Windows XP Home Edition with 256 ram.
    >
    >When I start up my computer, I get different results each time until
    >eventually after several tries I am able to successfully boot the computer.
    >
    >I get several different error messages in these attempts to boot but the 2
    >most common are:
    >

    >1. " A problem is preventing Windows from acccurately checking the license
    >for this computer - Error Code 0x80040057" which comes up right after the
    >Welcome Screen appears.

    Could be a couple things. Most commonly:

    http://www.jsiinc.com/SUBJ/tip4600/rh4684.htm

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/embedded/community/tips/xp/partitn/default.aspx

    I've heard that using a cracked XP license code can give this error as
    well.

    >I have also been getting messages the last few days
    >about accepting the End User License Agreement when I open Excel or Word.
    >Also, a dialog box will occasionally pop up saying that "Windows is
    >reconfiguring Windows XP Home Edition" while I am on the internet. Excel and
    >Word both work fine. These happen after successful boot attempts.
    >
    >2."Virtual Memory Too Low - windows is increasing your virtual memory paging
    >file. During this process, memory requests for some appplications may be
    >denied." This message appeared a couple of times when my Quick Launch and
    >Desktop toolbars appeared. I was unable to log on the internet or use
    >Control Panel, Excel, etc.

    Check Microsoft's KB:

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315351

    >I recently loaded a spyware removal program called Spyhunter. Could this be
    >corrupting my system?

    Probably not, but it never hurts to uninstall it to check.

    Cheers,
    dan

    Dan Shea, May 14, 2004
  4. KatonahJoe

    Unk Guest

    wrote:

    >I have been having difficulty booting my system for 2 days. I am running
    >Windows XP Home Edition with 256 ram.
    >
    >When I start up my computer, I get different results each time until
    >eventually after several tries I am able to successfully boot the computer.
    >
    >I get several different error messages in these attempts to boot but the 2
    >most common are:
    >

    >1. " A problem is preventing Windows from acccurately checking the license
    >for this computer - Error Code 0x80040057" which comes up right after the
    >Welcome Screen appears. I have also been getting messages the last few days
    >about accepting the End User License Agreement when I open Excel or Word.
    >Also, a dialog box will occasionally pop up saying that "Windows is
    >reconfiguring Windows XP Home Edition" while I am on the internet. Excel and
    >Word both work fine. These happen after successful boot attempts.
    >
    >2."Virtual Memory Too Low - windows is increasing your virtual memory paging
    >file. During this process, memory requests for some appplications may be
    >denied." This message appeared a couple of times when my Quick Launch and
    >Desktop toolbars appeared. I was unable to log on the internet or use
    >Control Panel, Excel, etc.
    >
    >I recently loaded a spyware removal program called Spyhunter. Could this be
    >corrupting my system?
    >
    >I ran Live Update and used Norton Anitvirus to scan my computer and found no
    >viruses. I have been regularly instaling Windows Updates as soon as the icon
    >appears in my toolbar.

    Try this:
    Right-click "My Computer", "Properties", "Advanced" tab. Under
    Performance section, click the "Settings" button, "Advanced" tab,
    under the Virtual memory section, click the "Change" button, and
    check the option, "System managed size". Click the "Set" button,
    click "OK", "Apply", and "OK" your way out. Reboot to see if fixed.

    Virtual Memory in Windows XP
    http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpvm.htm
    Unk, May 14, 2004
  5. KatonahJoe

    Guest

    I was having this problem as well on a XP Home machine. When trying
    to log in, it gave this error "A problem is preventing Windows from
    acccurately checking the license for this computer." But it did not
    give an error number. It would let me log in Safe Mode as the
    administrator though. I googled around and someone mentioned how it
    could be a memory problem. I didn't believe that could cause it but
    thought what the hell and gave it a go. I didn't have any of that
    type of RAM so I just put it in a different bank and BAMMO it is not
    having any problems at all. Booting and logging in perfect.

    Just thought that someone might want to know, it definitely worked for
    me.
    , Jun 3, 2004
  6. KatonahJoe

    Toolman Tim Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > I was having this problem as well on a XP Home machine. When trying
    > to log in, it gave this error "A problem is preventing Windows from
    > acccurately checking the license for this computer." But it did not
    > give an error number. It would let me log in Safe Mode as the
    > administrator though. I googled around and someone mentioned how it
    > could be a memory problem. I didn't believe that could cause it but
    > thought what the hell and gave it a go. I didn't have any of that
    > type of RAM so I just put it in a different bank and BAMMO it is not
    > having any problems at all. Booting and logging in perfect.
    >
    > Just thought that someone might want to know, it definitely worked for
    > me.

    I believe it. I've ran into the *weirdest* problems that came down to RAM.
    Like CD/HD read/write errors while installing software (including WinXP!),
    random reboots, major lockups, etc., even though the same hardware was
    running Win98SE perfectly fine (or at least appeared to be) before changing
    the OS.
    Toolman Tim, Jun 4, 2004