Trouble at TelstraClear?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by drmofe, Jul 13, 2005.

  1. drmofe

    drmofe Guest

    >From the help line:
    "This TelstraClear office has been evacuated due to an emergency.
    Please try again later."

    What gives?

    Also (and probably unrelated) - any TC customers and/or Telecom
    customers having ADSL difficulties in central Dunedin exchange since
    Monday at midnight? I've got a few uncooperative Dynalink routers not
    talking to the exchange. Paradise.net mentioned a possible power cut -
    any ideas?

    Ta,
    Stu

    drmofe, Jul 13, 2005

  2. In article <>,
    "drmofe" <> wrote:

    >"This TelstraClear office has been evacuated due to an emergency.
    >Please try again later."

    Most likely thing I'd say is that a fire alarm went off. Could happen to
    anybody.

    Did you try again, say, half an hour later?

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Jul 13, 2005

  3. drmofe

    SomebodyElse Guest

    drmofe wrote:
    >>From the help line:

    > "This TelstraClear office has been evacuated due to an emergency.
    > Please try again later."
    >
    > What gives?

    They probably had an emergency.

    I'm surprised they actually had the forethought to have a message
    prerecorded for this to be able to switch to.

    Better to give you this message than to just leave you on hold indefinitely.

    'Try again later'

    - Scott

    SomebodyElse, Jul 13, 2005
  4. SomebodyElse wrote:
    > They probably had an emergency.
    >
    > I'm surprised they actually had the forethought to have a message
    > prerecorded for this to be able to switch to.

    Yup, I was surprised too.

    > Better to give you this message than to just leave you on hold
    > indefinitely.

    Not sure if the response time would have been any quicker :)

    > 'Try again later'

    Got same message 15 mins later. Switched to Paradise.Net technical
    assistance to see if they could help (this was either an ADSL problem or
    a Paradise.net routing problem) and they were up, online and could help.

    Still got ADSL issues in Dunedin though...

    Stewart Fleming, Jul 13, 2005
  5. drmofe

    Trog Guest

    drmofe wrote:
    >>From the help line:

    > "This TelstraClear office has been evacuated due to an emergency.
    > Please try again later."
    >
    > What gives?
    >
    > Also (and probably unrelated) - any TC customers and/or Telecom
    > customers having ADSL difficulties in central Dunedin exchange since
    > Monday at midnight? I've got a few uncooperative Dynalink routers not
    > talking to the exchange. Paradise.net mentioned a possible power cut -
    > any ideas?
    >
    > Ta,
    > Stu

    Probably a fire drill dude. I worked at Microsoft a couple of years
    ago. Don't shoot me. It was a job fer fuxache. Anyway, we used to have
    drills every six months or something. Good excuse to get out and have
    an extra ciggie break in between shitty callers demanding Bill Gates's
    email address so they can complain directly after demanding a
    replacement windows 95 floppy or something cause they went to reformat
    their hard drive on their computer and the friggin floppies have
    perished with age..

    Or the guy that bought a brand new scanner for his computer and the
    minimum o/s spec for the scanner was windows 98 second edition. He had
    windows 95 and insisted he did not need to upgrade his o/s from win 95
    as his system met his needs perfectly. Until I pointed out that
    apparently it does not meet his needs as his new scanner doesnt work.
    (shrug)

    You know, until I became a call center person, (their's the p-c in me) I
    used to actually quite like people.

    Toodles.

    Trog, Jul 13, 2005
  6. In article <>, Trog <> wrote:
    (snip)
    >You know, until I became a call center person, (their's the p-c in me) I
    >used to actually quite like people.

    Until you became a CCP, you were a person :)

    Bruce

    -------------------------------------
    - George Bernard Shaw
    - Ambrose Bierce

    (if there were any)

    Bruce Sinclair, Jul 13, 2005
  7. drmofe

    Trog Guest

    Bruce Sinclair wrote:

    > In article <>, Trog <> wrote:
    > (snip)
    >
    >>You know, until I became a call center person, (their's the p-c in me) I
    >>used to actually quite like people.

    > Until you became a CCP, you were a person :)
    >
    > Bruce
    >

    > -------------------------------------
    > The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it.
    > - George Bernard Shaw
    > Cynic, n: a blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they ought to be.
    > - Ambrose Bierce
    >
    > Caution ===== followups may have been changed to relevant groups
    > (if there were any)

    heh heh

    Trog, Jul 14, 2005
  8. drmofe

    SteveM Guest

    Trog <> wrote in news::

    > drmofe wrote:

    > Probably a fire drill dude. I worked at Microsoft a couple of years
    > ago. Don't shoot me. It was a job fer fuxache. Anyway, we used to have
    > drills every six months or something. Good excuse to get out and have
    > an extra ciggie break in between shitty callers demanding Bill Gates's
    > email address so they can complain directly after demanding a
    > replacement windows 95 floppy or something cause they went to reformat
    > their hard drive on their computer and the friggin floppies have
    > perished with age..
    >
    > Or the guy that bought a brand new scanner for his computer and the
    > minimum o/s spec for the scanner was windows 98 second edition. He had
    > windows 95 and insisted he did not need to upgrade his o/s from win 95
    > as his system met his needs perfectly. Until I pointed out that
    > apparently it does not meet his needs as his new scanner doesnt work.
    > (shrug)
    >
    > You know, until I became a call center person, (their's the p-c in me) I
    > used to actually quite like people.
    >
    > Toodles.

    Sounds like you worked for Datacom ie: Microsoft Services not Microsoft NZ

    SteveM

    SteveM, Jul 15, 2005
  9. drmofe

    Trog Guest

    SteveM wrote:
    > Trog <> wrote in news::
    >

    >>drmofe wrote:

    >>Probably a fire drill dude. I worked at Microsoft a couple of years
    >>ago. Don't shoot me. It was a job fer fuxache. Anyway, we used to have
    >>drills every six months or something. Good excuse to get out and have
    >>an extra ciggie break in between shitty callers demanding Bill Gates's
    >>email address so they can complain directly after demanding a
    >>replacement windows 95 floppy or something cause they went to reformat
    >>their hard drive on their computer and the friggin floppies have
    >>perished with age..
    >>
    >>Or the guy that bought a brand new scanner for his computer and the
    >>minimum o/s spec for the scanner was windows 98 second edition. He had
    >>windows 95 and insisted he did not need to upgrade his o/s from win 95
    >>as his system met his needs perfectly. Until I pointed out that
    >>apparently it does not meet his needs as his new scanner doesnt work.
    >>(shrug)
    >>
    >>You know, until I became a call center person, (their's the p-c in me) I
    >>used to actually quite like people.
    >>
    >>Toodles.

    > Sounds like you worked for Datacom ie: Microsoft Services not Microsoft NZ
    >
    > SteveM

    well, same thing. worked as a on tech

    Trog, Jul 17, 2005