Trouble accessing Network Computers

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by =?Utf-8?B?U2hhcnAgU2lnaHQ=?=, Nov 19, 2006.

  1. I am having trouble with just two computers on my home netowrk. Sometimes,
    when I click "View Workgroup Computers" the computer advises that it is
    unable to connect. Other times, the computer can access some of the computers
    on the network, but not others. In all cases Internet access is available.
    What causes a computer to not be available on the network, despite it have
    shared folder and files?

    The whol network consists of 3 Dell laptops, and one desktop. The DSL and
    network are connected directy through the desktop. I have a Netware router,
    Nortan Security with my network listed as "Trusted". This issue continues to
    present even when all firewalls are turned off. The Desktop has Windows XP
    porfessional, one Laptop has XP Professional (the most current edition), and
    the remaing two laptops have XP Home.

    To help clarify the situation:
    Somtimes, not all the time, when any of the laptops select "My Workgroup
    Computers", the message is "unable to connect" and that can remain despite
    reboots and over several days. When that does not happen, then a varient
    problem occurs. When a specific computer is selected, I get an error box
    indicating that I do not have permission to access this resource. This seems
    most prominent when trying to access the laptops that have XP Home. Somtimes,
    on of those laptops can access the other laptop, but not vice versa. Lastly,
    There are no problems with printing over the network, nor any problems with
    the DSL Internet access.

    Can anyone explain what is going on? All I want to to is allow access to the
    Shared Docs (already shared on each computer) for all computers to all
    computers.

    =?Utf-8?B?U2hhcnAgU2lnaHQ=?=, Nov 19, 2006

  2. Hi

    Assumnig that your Wireless works well and you do not loose the connetion.

    Try instead of View Workgroup Computers to use to use the direct UNC
    addressing \\othercomputer\share\file_path, or map the drives.

    Otherwise, successful Sharing involves some general consideration in Network
    settings, http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html

    to be shared.

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Nov 19, 2006

  3. Hi Sharp Sight.This is not an Internet problem, it can happen if some of the
    computer go on standby.
    More often it is due to the permissions in individual folders accessed (or
    access rejected being incorrect
    or to a firewall problem.
    John

    Micorsoft news Server, Nov 23, 2006