    DVD players do not emit radiation.

    Like CD players, they do have a low power laser, but the power is so
    miniscule you could look right into it with no risk of harm.

    Hungry, Aug 5, 2003

  2. (Hungry) writes:

    > DVD players do not emit radiation.
    >
    > Like CD players, they do have a low power laser, but the power is so
    > miniscule you could look right into it with no risk of harm.

    I wouldn't quite go that far. If the unit is broken and the objective
    lens has fallen off, the beam could be quite collimated with a power
    similar to a laser pointer. While eye damage is unlikely, looking directly
    into it is still not advisable.

    If it's a high performance DVD recorder, then the power can be as much as
    100 mW and that is definitely an instant risk to vision.

    --- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Home Page: http://www.repairfaq.org/
    | Mirror Site Info: http://www.repairfaq.org/REPAIR/F_mirror.html

    Important: The email address in this message header may no longer work. To
    contact me, please use the Feedback Form at repairfaq.org. Thanks.

    Sam Goldwasser, Aug 5, 2003

  3. Hungry

    Jordan Lund Guest

    (Hungry) wrote in message news:<93CDE880AHungry@216.164.226.47>...
    > DVD players do not emit radiation.
    >
    > Like CD players, they do have a low power laser, but the power is so
    > miniscule you could look right into it with no risk of harm.

    I think the source of this troll is pretty simple...

    light
    amplification through
    stimulated
    emission of
    RADIATION! OMG! LASERS ARE RADIOACTIVE!

    - Jordan

    Jordan Lund, Aug 5, 2003
  4. Hungry

    Bob Ward Guest

    On Tue, 05 Aug 2003 16:12:19 -0800, Karl S <>
    wrote:

    >On 5 Aug 2003 01:27:57 GMT, (Hungry) wrote:
    >
    >>DVD players do not emit radiation.
    >>

    >Take the cover off of your player and check it with a Geiger counter.
    >
    >You will find that you are wrong.

    Yeah, and the word "gullible" isn't in the dictionary, either.

    Bob Ward, Aug 6, 2003
  5. Hungry

    Peter Guest

    I don't know whats more sad, that someone put a "Troll Alert" on this,
    or that it was probably a good idea to do so anyways.

    --
    At the source of every error which is blamed on the
    computer you will find at least two human errors,

    Peter, Aug 6, 2003
  6. On Tue, 05 Aug 2003 23:49:55 -0400, Peter <> wrote:

    >I don't know whats more sad, that someone put a "Troll Alert" on this,
    >or that it was probably a good idea to do so anyways.

    We are witness to the de-volution of the human race. I've noticed for some time
    that the general population is getting dumber and lazier; it was only a matter
    of time until this trend appeared in that subset of the population that reads
    USENET.

    ---
    I need a new .sig :)

    Scott in Aztlan, Aug 6, 2003
  7. Hungry

    Guest

    On 5 Aug 2003 01:27:57 GMT, (Hungry) wrote:

    >DVD players do not emit radiation.
    >
    >Like CD players, they do have a low power laser, but the power is so
    >miniscule you could look right into it with no risk of harm.

    Honestly, for people who didn't know this, why even
    waste your energy? They are idiots.
    -Rich

    , Aug 6, 2003
  8. Hungry

    Arkon24fps Guest

    "Hungry" <> wrote in message
    > DVD players do not emit radiation.
    >
    > Like CD players, they do have a low power laser, but the power is so
    > miniscule you could look right into it with no risk of harm.

    Not true. Looking directly into the laser while on (which is not possible
    since it will not switch on unless a cd or DVD is loaded) could harm your
    eyes.

    Arkon24fps, Aug 16, 2003
  9. Hungry

    John DeGroof Guest

    On Sat, 16 Aug 2003 16:08:47 GMT, "Arkon24fps" <>
    wrote:

    >Not true. Looking directly into the laser while on (which is not possible
    >since it will not switch on unless a cd or DVD is loaded) could harm your
    >eyes.

    "Could" is the key word, but the chances are extremely small. I've
    operated some very powerful lasers, so I know a thing or two about
    them. While it's not a good practice to stare into any laser, you
    have to know something about them first, and show them the respect
    they deserve.

    Lasers are rated by output power. Laser pointers are rated in
    milliwatts (typically 2-5mW), and it's not legal to sell anything over
    5mW without a license (most say "peak power < 5mW"). OSHA determined
    it's safe to look at a 5mW laser for a certain amount of time (I
    believe it's around 1000 seconds, but don't quote me on that - look it
    up if you really want to know).

    Think about it logically. Damage is caused by heat. Can you feel the
    heat from your laser pointer? No. My 5mW green pointer barely
    registers on an LCD thermometer. Just like smoking cigarettes won't
    burn your mouth, continuous exposure can cause cancer. Damage is a
    factor of power and time. Think of cooking in a hot frying pan in 10
    minutes vs a slow cooker over 8 hours. The result is the same, but
    power (heat) and time are the factors. Same thing here.

    Think about it practically. Clubs here in LA use green YAG lasers
    typically rated around 3-5 *WATTS* (no "milli" here folks). They
    split the beam for effects and shine it directly at and into the
    audience. This is called "audience scanning", and while technically
    illegal, it's very common practice. If you got a 5 watt beam directly
    in your eye, it'd do permanent damage. Obviously the beam that enters
    your eye at the club repeatedly throughout the night is much lower
    power (due to the split), but is far more power than your CD player
    laser, and causes no damage. The reason there's a warning on the CD
    player laser is most likely due to the *potential* for damage, and
    liability issues.

    I've used full spectrum color lasers rated at around 30 watts, and
    it'll light paper on fire in about 1/4 second. If that beam entered
    your eye, it'd boil off the water in your eye pretty much instantly.

    There are plenty of other factors involved as well, but this is just a
    simple message to stay calm and don't freak out if someone shines a
    little laser pointer in your general direction. They're quite as
    dangerous as many would have you believe.

    --
    John DeGroof, Compressionist
    DVD, DAD, DVD Audio, MPEG, AC3, DTS, PCM, DSD, MLP

    John DeGroof, Aug 17, 2003
  10. Hungry

    Stan Brown Guest

    In article <> in
    misc.consumers, John DeGroof <> wrote:
    (arguing that it's safe to stare into a laser pointer for 16
    minutes)
    >Think about it logically. Damage is caused by heat. Can you feel the
    >heat from your laser pointer?

    By your logic, since you can't feel heat from the sun during an
    eclipse, looking directly at it will not damage your eyes.

    Since doctors are pretty unanimous in telling us not to look
    directly at an eclipse, either they're all lying or your logic is
    flawed.

    http://OakRoadSystems.com
    Fortunately, I live in the United States of America, where we are
    gradually coming to understand that nothing we do is ever our
    fault, especially if it is really stupid. --Dave Barry

    Stan Brown, Aug 17, 2003
  11. Hungry

    DarkMatter Guest

    On Sun, 17 Aug 2003 05:09:10 GMT, John DeGroof
    <> Gave us:

    >"Could" is the key word, but the chances are extremely small. I've
    >operated some very powerful lasers, so I know a thing or two about
    >them. While it's not a good practice to stare into any laser, you
    >have to know something about them first, and show them the respect
    >they deserve.

    I'm sorry, but light viewed directly from a laser source can damage
    the eye. Respect or not. Do NOT trivialize that fact.

    DarkMatter, Aug 17, 2003
  12. Hungry

    DarkMatter Guest

    On Sun, 17 Aug 2003 05:09:10 GMT, John DeGroof
    <> Gave us:

    > OSHA determined
    >it's safe to look at a 5mW laser for a certain amount of time (I
    >believe it's around 1000 seconds, but don't quote me on that - look it
    >up if you really want to know).

    That is malarkey. A 5mW laser is pretty powerful as it relates to
    retinal damage capacity.

    DarkMatter, Aug 17, 2003
  13. Hungry

    DarkMatter Guest

    On Sun, 17 Aug 2003 05:09:10 GMT, John DeGroof
    <> Gave us:

    >Think about it logically. Damage is caused by heat. Can you feel the
    >heat from your laser pointer? No.

    Now, I know you are being retarded. A UV source can blind you, and
    there is no heat, you retard.

    Stop making shit up, and stick with what you know something about.

    DarkMatter, Aug 17, 2003
  14. Hungry

    DarkMatter Guest

    On Sun, 17 Aug 2003 05:09:10 GMT, John DeGroof
    <> Gave us:

    > Clubs here in LA use green YAG lasers
    >typically rated around 3-5 *WATTS* (no "milli" here folks). They
    >split the beam for effects and shine it directly at and into the
    >audience. This is called "audience scanning", and while technically
    >illegal, it's very common practice.

    Not "technically illegal", it IS illegal. Yer a fucking dope.

    DarkMatter, Aug 17, 2003
  15. Hungry

    DarkMatter Guest

    On Sun, 17 Aug 2003 05:09:10 GMT, John DeGroof
    <> Gave us:

    >I've used full spectrum color lasers rated at around 30 watts, and
    >it'll light paper on fire in about 1/4 second. If that beam entered
    >your eye, it'd boil off the water in your eye pretty much instantly.

    You are retarded. The damage occurs through the vitreous fluid.
    The damage occurs as focussed energy on the retina.
    You're an idiot, DeGroof.

    Stop spewing on a subject in which your only familiarity was that
    you were in the same room with a 30 Watt laser, you stupid ****.

    DarkMatter, Aug 17, 2003
  16. Hungry

    Bob Ward Guest

    On Sun, 17 Aug 2003 13:31:40 -0700, DarkMatter
    <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 17 Aug 2003 05:09:10 GMT, John DeGroof
    ><> Gave us:
    >
    >>"Could" is the key word, but the chances are extremely small. I've
    >>operated some very powerful lasers, so I know a thing or two about
    >>them. While it's not a good practice to stare into any laser, you
    >>have to know something about them first, and show them the respect
    >>they deserve.

    > I'm sorry, but light viewed directly from a laser source can damage
    >the eye. Respect or not. Do NOT trivialize that fact.

    Let's have a show of hands. How many of us have been blinded by the
    scanner laser in the supermarket checkout lanes?

    Bob Ward, Aug 17, 2003
  17. Hungry

    Frode Guest

    Frode, Aug 17, 2003
  18. Hungry

    Bob Ward Guest

    On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 00:06:09 +0200, "Frode"
    <> wrote:

    >Bob Ward wrote:
    >>> I'm sorry, but light viewed directly from a laser source can damage
    >>> the eye. Respect or not. Do NOT trivialize that fact.

    >> Let's have a show of hands. How many of us have been blinded by the
    >> scanner laser in the supermarket checkout lanes?

    >Let's have a show of hands. How many of us have crawled up on the conveyor
    >belt or grabbed the scanner pistol to get the laser directly aimed into our
    >eyes.
    >
    >It's like them laser pointers. Chances are rather slim you'll get any
    >damage, but aim it straight into your eye and keep staring at it for a
    >while, then let us know the result. I for one wouldn't take the chance.

    Apparently you've never stood in line where they have the
    flush-mounted scanners that send the laser beam up through a pane of
    glass inset into the counter top. The laser beam can and does come
    into direct contact with the customer's eyeballs - I'm sure that the
    checker gets it quite a bit more frequently.

    Show of hands: How many of us have observed checkers with red-tipped
    white canes and/or seeing-eye-dogs on a leash near their checkstands?

    Bob Ward, Aug 18, 2003
  19. >"Could" is the key word, but the chances are extremely small. I've
    >operated some very powerful lasers, so I know a thing or two about
    >them. While it's not a good practice to stare into any laser, you
    >have to know something about them first, and show them the respect
    >they deserve.

    In either respect, though, the plain fact being posted here is that a DVD
    player is no more harmful than the VCR is to human health.

    The person posting is either joking around or jerking us around. - Reinhart

    LASERandDVDfan, Aug 18, 2003
  20. Hungry

    Stan Brown Guest

    In article <> in misc.consumers, The
    Real Bev <> wrote:
    >Frode wrote:
    >> It's like them laser pointers. Chances are rather slim you'll get any
    >> damage, but aim it straight into your eye and keep staring at it for a
    >> while, then let us know the result. I for one wouldn't take the chance.

    >This is why so many people in flash pictures have red pupils. I thought
    >everybody knew that.

    And here I thought it was how you could tell who had given
    themselves to Satan.

    Another illusion shattered Sometimes I am so NAIVE!!

    (For the humor resistant: I'm as serious as Bev was.)

    Stan Brown, Aug 18, 2003