  1. Tab

    Tab Guest

    Quick question--Are all trojans malware?

    Tab, Feb 7, 2007

  2. Tab

    squaddie Guest

    squaddie, Feb 7, 2007

  3. "Tab" <> wrote in
    news::

    > Quick question--Are all trojans malware?

    All but the ones you use to prevent child support and STD's.

    --

    A nice technique to keep a mob of peasants from killing your monster
    is when they break into your castle; make them be real quiet: "Shhhhh!"

    Bucky Breeder, Feb 7, 2007
  4. Tab wrote:

    > Quick question--Are all trojans malware?

    There are "management trojans" used for remote install support and others,
    like corporate inventory purposes.
    One could see vnc server as a trojan as well (there is a checkbox to hide
    the tray icon)

    Walter Mautner, Feb 8, 2007
  5. Tab

    Tab Guest

    "Walter Mautner" <> wrote in message
    > Tab wrote:
    >
    >> Quick question--Are all trojans malware?

    > There are "management trojans" used for remote install support and others,
    > like corporate inventory purposes.
    > One could see vnc server as a trojan as well (there is a checkbox to hide
    > the tray icon)
    > --

    I downloaded a file from an ebay seller and my avast Av found
    Win32:Trojan-gen.{Delphi}in the file.Seller tells me to shut down Avast and
    firewall and install the software and all will be ok.Im not sure if I should
    do this.

    Tab, Feb 8, 2007
  6. Tab wrote:

    > I downloaded a file from an ebay seller and my avast Av found
    > Win32:Trojan-gen.{Delphi}in the file.Seller tells me to shut down Avast
    > and firewall and install the software and all will be ok.Im not sure if I
    > should do this.

    Do a trend housecall scan, make a restore point, try to only unpack the
    stuff (not yet install) and scan again with what you can get.
    Most probably avast is giving a "gen"eric (false) alarm, but paranoia is
    your friend.
    When you finally install, do shut off avast and the firewall, but your
    internet connection as well. Watch "netstat" output if it tries to connect
    to somewhere, when nothing else requesting internet access is running. You
    may have to start in "safe mode with networking" to completely get rid of
    all the autoupdaters, for the test session.

    Walter Mautner, Feb 8, 2007