    How can I be assured that I got them all? I have had a lot of
    performance issues on my network lately.

    Stephen

    Stephen W. Hiemstra, Jun 30, 2004

  2. Stephen W. Hiemstra

    Leythos Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > I recently discovered a number of trojans on an older computer on my
    > home network where the Norton license had expired. Avast purged these.
    > I then found several on my primary machine using Norton.
    >
    > How can I be assured that I got them all? I have had a lot of
    > performance issues on my network lately.

    What OS are you running?

    Most times you can look at the TaskManager and see what is running, but
    some Trojans/viruses hide behind other services.

    Another method is to look at the registry (warning - working with the
    registry can leave your machine inoperable) and see what is contained in
    the RUN and RUNONCE folders - most machines only have a few (less than
    5) items in the RUN and none in the RUNONCE folder.

    As for being sure, there is little I can tell you that would allow you
    to be sure that your machine is free of problems.

    As an example, having done this for many moons, I spent 2 hours removing
    a Trojan "TV Media" from a computer the other night - they didn't want
    to format it. None of the normal scanners or AV software could remove it
    or detect it. Deleting it from the registry was no use, it would put
    itself back right after it was removed. I had to open task manager, stop
    EXPLORER and most of the services (it was hiding behind explorer), and
    since closing explorer also closes your desktop, I used TaskManager to
    open the registry and delete the entries, then used task manager to open
    CMD and renamed the directory that it was located in.... What a pain.

    (Remove 999 to reply to me)

    Leythos, Jun 30, 2004

  3. Stephen W. Hiemstra

    The Prophecy Guest

    Stephen W. Hiemstra wrote:
    > I recently discovered a number of trojans on an older computer on my
    > home network where the Norton license had expired. Avast purged these.
    > I then found several on my primary machine using Norton.
    >
    > How can I be assured that I got them all? I have had a lot of
    > performance issues on my network lately.
    >
    > Stephen

    Using these should get rid of 99.9% (if not all) of any trojans/spyware on
    your computer.

    --
    Download, update and use the following:

    Spybot Search & Destroy
    http://www.safer-networking.org/

    Ad-Aware
    http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

    Spyware Blaster

    CWShredder (CoolWebSearch remover)

    Spy Sweeper
    http://www.webroot.com

    The Prophecy, Jun 30, 2004
  4. Stephen W. Hiemstra

    johns Guest

    We are using subscription f-secure here. It is catching
    this stuff, and is updated hourly. Those guys deserve
    a cigar !! I have McAffee 8 at home, and it is pretty
    good .. even the social engr stuff is getting a look ..
    but my wife opened a malicious email and we got
    whacked. I opened the same email on my f-secure
    machine, and f-secure whacked it right then because
    it was up to date ( 100 megabit lan ). I swear by
    disk imaging at home .. combined with a little
    daily back up ( copy over ) to my HUGE d-drive.
    These bugs don't speak d-drive, and if I get had,
    I just reimage overnight ( I'm in bed asleep ),
    and all is well. Protecting a home computer is
    different than protecting a work machine. It takes
    a little common sense, plus it takes realizing that
    an ISP is a jerk, and they don't try to defend
    their users one bit. Disk imaging is the only
    security tool that works. I'm protecting 19 gigs
    worth of baby, pet, mother-in-law, and even "me"
    pictures .. not to mention lots of home-office
    data. We have been hit again and again by
    malicious email and websites, and I have been
    able to fully recover every single time using
    an $18 disk imaging program.

    johns

    johns, Jun 30, 2004