    best buy said i have trojan.
    sure nuff in the log there is gen.x
    how do i locate the trojan and remove it without spending a lot of money?
    lil abner, Sep 5, 2010

  2. From: "lil abner" <@daisy.mae>

    | best buy said i have trojan.
    | sure nuff in the log there is gen.x
    | how do i locate the trojan and remove it without spending a lot of money?

    What log and for what software ?

    genx at best is only a partial name.

    What is the fully qualified name and path the the file deemed to be a trojan ?

    More information is needed. Please provide it.

    --
    Dave
    David H. Lipman, Sep 5, 2010

  3. lil abner

    lil abner Guest

    On 9/5/2010 8:19 AM, David H. Lipman wrote:
    > From: "lil abner"<@daisy.mae>
    >
    > | best buy said i have trojan.
    > | sure nuff in the log there is gen.x
    > | how do i locate the trojan and remove it without spending a lot of money?
    >
    > What log and for what software ?
    >
    > genx at best is only a partial name.
    >
    > What is the fully qualified name and path the the file deemed to be a trojan ?
    >
    > More information is needed. Please provide it.

    its "16f63"cbf trojan gen.x
    lil abner, Sep 5, 2010
  4. From: "lil abner" <@daisy.mae>

    | On 9/5/2010 8:19 AM, David H. Lipman wrote:
    >> From: "lil abner"<@daisy.mae>

    >> | best buy said i have trojan.
    >> | sure nuff in the log there is gen.x
    >> | how do i locate the trojan and remove it without spending a lot of money?

    >> What log and for what software ?

    >> genx at best is only a partial name.

    >> What is the fully qualified name and path the the file deemed to be a trojan ?

    >> More information is needed. Please provide it.

    | its "16f63"cbf trojan gen.x

    Pulling teeth.

    Please re-read my questions.

    --
    Dave
    David H. Lipman, Sep 5, 2010
  5. lil abner

    lil abner Guest

    On 9/5/2010 11:33 AM, David H. Lipman wrote:
    > From: "lil abner"<@daisy.mae>
    >
    > | On 9/5/2010 8:19 AM, David H. Lipman wrote:
    >>> From: "lil abner"<@daisy.mae>

    >>> What log and for what software ?

    >>> genx at best is only a partial name.

    >>> What is the fully qualified name and path the the file deemed to be a trojan ?

    >>> More information is needed. Please provide it.

    > | its "16f63"cbf trojan gen.x
    >
    > Pulling teeth.
    >
    > Please re-read my questions.

    Sorry about pulling teeth. That is all the info in the log left on the
    computer by best buy.
    The software is Vista home premium.
    I've looked at a realative hand full of files and haven't found it.
    thanks
    lil abner, Sep 6, 2010
  6. lil abner

    lil abner Guest

    On 9/5/2010 9:47 PM, lil abner wrote:
    > On 9/5/2010 11:33 AM, David H. Lipman wrote:
    >> From: "lil abner"<@daisy.mae>

    >> | its "16f63"cbf trojan gen.x
    >>
    >> Pulling teeth.
    >>
    >> Please re-read my questions.
    >>

    > Sorry about pulling teeth. That is all the info in the log left on the
    > computer by best buy.
    > The software is Vista home premium.
    > I've looked at a realative hand full of files and haven't found it.
    > thanks

    Perhaps another clue is that the DVD etc drive keeps flashing the
    operation light popping open and trying to run when on the Internet.
    lil abner, Sep 6, 2010
  7. lil abner

    Regis Guest

    lil abner <@daisy.mae> writes:

    >best buy said i have trojan.
    >sure nuff in the log there is gen.x
    >how do i locate the trojan and remove it without spending a lot of
    >money?

    You'd be far better served reinstalling Windows onto your computer.
    It's not hard and in under 2 hours you'll have a fresh system that you
    _know_ is virus free.

    You could try "removal" tools but you're likely to spend a lot more than
    2 hours of your time figuring those out, finding ones that aren't
    themselves malware, and fighting with them trying to remove the one
    known threat that's on your computer while having no idea about the
    unknown malware that may also be there. Signature based malware
    scanners at best catch about 20% of what's out there.

    If you don't have Windows reinstall disks, they can be gotten from the
    manufacturer or your computer for a nominal fee. $0 if it's a business
    line PC in a lot of cases, $30 is pretty typical, Lenovo is on the high
    end IIRC around $50.
    Regis, Sep 7, 2010
  8. From: "DAB" <>

    | David H. Lipman wrote:
    >> From: "lil abner" <@daisy.mae>

    >>> its "16f63"cbf trojan gen.x

    >> Pulling teeth.

    >> Please re-read my questions.

    | Surprised you have any left ;-)

    | Donna

    Hi Donna :)

    --
    Dave
    David H. Lipman, Sep 8, 2010
  9. David H. Lipman, Sep 17, 2010
  10. TheGunslinger wrote:

    > On Sat, 04 Sep 2010 22:03:19 -0400,

    September...

    lil abner <@daisy.mae> wrote:
    >> how do i locate the trojan

    > D/L a free anti-virus
    >
    > IMHO,

    He has a trojan. You recommend anti-virus. Good job.

    Why are you spending your day answering 2-, 5-, 8-month old posts?

    --
    -bts
    -This poast is valid through December 21, 2012
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Nov 28, 2010