Trojan writers are taking on Microsoft's patching cycle.

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Au79, Nov 14, 2005.

  1. Au79

    Au79 Guest

    John Dunn, Security editor

    November 11, 05
    Tuesday will be zero day. One day.
    Trojan writers are taking on Microsoft's patching cycle.

    Only two days after Microsoft issued a patch for a “critical” flaw
    related to the graphics rendering engine in Windows, Trend Micro has
    unearthed a Trojan out to exploit it.

    As it happens, the Troj_emfsploit.A (Trend’s name) does nothing worse
    than cause the core Windows explorer.exe shell to crash, which is
    merciful. The vulnerability could, according to Microsoft, have resulted
    in an attacker taking complete control of any Windows 2000, XP
    (including SP2) and Windows Server 2003 PC.

    Anti-virus vendors are a miserable bunch, forever frightening us with
    yet another dreadful portent. Anyone would think they profited from such
    fear.

    This one is significant, however, and could make those folksy-sounding
    patch Tuesday bug patches Microsoft has turned into a monthly event a
    good deal more tense in future.

    How long before a major software company of the ilk of Microsoft faces
    issuing a patch for a vulnerability that has already been exploited?
    This is the so-termed “zero day” issue and the speed at which Trojans
    are being cranked out now suggests this will happen soon, if hasn’t
    happened already.

    We could be about to enter a world of real-time patching, with periods
    of vulnerability being measure in minutes rather than in days, as at
    present. It is possible that the average enterprise with money to throw
    at one of the legion of companies looking to provide real-time security
    services, will be able to cope.

    Can such a service be automated? Doubtful. Patches need to be tested if
    they relate to core elements of the operating system or the services it
    provides. This is always going to involve someone, somewhere scratching
    their head and making a sensitive judgment.

    Nobody in the early days of software could have forseen it, but code is
    now evolving with a genetic fedundity not far short of a Drosphila fruit
    fly. Security has done that to us.
    --

    http://www.euronet.nl/users/frankvw/rants/microsoft/IhateMS.html

    Au79, Nov 14, 2005

  2. Au79

    Noel Paton Guest

    "Au79" <> wrote in message
    > John Dunn, Security editor
    >
    > November 11, 05
    > Tuesday will be zero day. One day.
    > Trojan writers are taking on Microsoft's patching cycle.
    >
    > Only two days after Microsoft issued a patch for a “critical” flaw related
    > to the graphics rendering engine in Windows, Trend Micro has unearthed a
    > Trojan out to exploit it.
    >
    > As it happens, the Troj_emfsploit.A (Trend’s name) does nothing worse than
    > cause the core Windows explorer.exe shell to crash, which is merciful. The
    > vulnerability could, according to Microsoft, have resulted in an attacker
    > taking complete control of any Windows 2000, XP (including SP2) and
    > Windows Server 2003 PC.

    TREND have revised their opinion of this exploit -
    http://www.techworld.com/security/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=4781

    --
    Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2006, Windows)

    Nil Carborundum Illegitemi