    webpage for anti-spyware software. Although it seems harmless, it is a real
    nuisance and I was hoping someone could help me with this problem. Is it a
    new virus?
    Lily Koh, Jan 24, 2005

  2. Lily Koh

    Aquanaut Guest

    "Lily Koh" <> wrote in message
    news:JeXId.131425$...
    > After entering a website, some sort of program must have entered my system
    > as I got multiple icons to some sort of anti-spyware software everywhere.
    > Now, it has infected the desktop and all that it shows is a link to a
    > webpage for anti-spyware software. Although it seems harmless, it is a
    > real
    > nuisance and I was hoping someone could help me with this problem. Is it a
    > new virus?

    run all of these
    Adaware from:
    http://www.download.com/Ad-Aware-SE-Personal-Edition/3000-8022_4-10319876.html?tag=lst-0-1

    And Spybot Search and Destroy from:
    http://www.download.com/Spybot-Search-Destroy/3000-8022_4-10289035.html?tag=lst-0-2
    Aquanaut, Jan 24, 2005

  3. Lily Koh

    Lily Koh Guest

    I ran ADSE but nothing. Still working on the other program. I've managed to
    delete what I think are some files associated, but I'm still not sure. The
    icon is "ssico" and 3 shortcuts were formed-
    "!Protect Your Data"
    "!Secure Yourself"
    "!Smart Security"
    Also, what seems to be happening is on startup, an IE page loads on top of
    the Desktop and stays there. I deleted a file in windows folder labelled,
    "desktop" which had the advertisement on it and now I have a blank screen on
    top of the desktop screen. It is not listed as an open program (i.e. I can't
    manually close it). Sorry for taking up so much time, but it's a real pain
    in the back-side! Btw, anyone had experience with this?

    Lily Koh, Jan 24, 2005