Trojan virus help

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by billandhelen, Mar 30, 2007.

  1. billandhelen

    billandhelen Guest

    I think I've picked up a trojan virus that is preventing me from
    updating Norton definitions and also preventing me connecting with
    Symantec online - particularly the technical support link.

    When I run Norton AV it tells me 'Virus definitions are out of date'
    I run 'Live update' and the message 'LU1860 - detects malicious entry
    in host files' comes up.
    It asks if I want to remove the entries - I click to 'perform action',
    then message 'LU1862 - unable to remove' comes up.
    I try to click on the hyperlink for 'contact tech support' but it
    won't connect.

    'Live update' shows 'LU165 - subscription expired' and that I need to
    renew to download latest definitions (I renewed my annual subscription
    at Xmas).
    If I click on the hyperlink for 'more information on the error' it
    will not connect.

    I can't contact Symantec for advice as I have no phone number and
    can't connect to their site to get help.

    Please help.

    Thanks

    billandhelen, Mar 30, 2007

  2. billandhelen

    jbyrd Guest

    Might try Windows Defender. It's free..

    jbyrd, Mar 30, 2007

  3. billandhelen

    billandhelen Guest

    On 30 Mar, 11:28, "jbyrd" <> wrote:
    > Might try Windows Defender. It's free..

    Thanks but I do have Windows Defender and it does not detect any
    problems.

    billandhelen, Mar 30, 2007
  4. billandhelen

    Code name 47 Guest

    I think u should switvh on to anti virus avg 7.5, i was also using
    symantec a few weeeks ago, but it's updates are not effective.

    AVG 7.5 is the best option, I have ever found. Download it and then
    update it, it wiil capture all the viruses. It's free

    http://www.freewebs.com/xptip/avg.htm

    Code name 47, Mar 30, 2007
  5. billandhelen

    Mike Easter Guest

    billandhelen wrote:

    What does a 'billandhelen' look like? Is that anything like a
    Brundlefly?

    > I think I've picked up a trojan virus that is preventing me from
    > updating Norton definitions and also preventing me connecting with
    > Symantec online - particularly the technical support link.

    Or perhaps your Norton is b0rken.

    > When I run Norton AV it tells me 'Virus definitions are out of date'
    > I run 'Live update' and the message 'LU1860 - detects malicious entry
    > in host files' comes up.

    You can look at your hosts file if you like.

    > It asks if I want to remove the entries - I click to 'perform action',
    > then message 'LU1862 - unable to remove' comes up.
    > I try to click on the hyperlink for 'contact tech support' but it
    > won't connect.

    Then your Norton is no good. Get rid of it. If you like it, you can
    reinstall it and bring it up to date.

    > 'Live update' shows 'LU165 - subscription expired' and that I need to
    > renew to download latest definitions (I renewed my annual subscription
    > at Xmas).

    Remove/Uninstall Norton. Consider not reinstalling in favor of another
    different AV agent. Norton is not superior to other agents which are
    free. If you like Norton and want to continue using it and paying its
    annual fee, then reinstall it.

    > If I click on the hyperlink for 'more information on the error' it
    > will not connect.

    B0rken.

    > I can't contact Symantec for advice as I have no phone number and
    > can't connect to their site to get help.

    So, if you click this link below something in your system prevents your
    accessing the Symantec site?

    http://www.symantec.com/home_homeoffice/support/index_ts.jsp Technical
    Issues Support

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Mar 30, 2007
  6. billandhelen

    billandhelen Guest

    On 30 Mar, 12:09, "Code name 47" <> wrote:
    > I think u should switvh on to anti virus avg 7.5, i was also using
    > symantec a few weeeks ago, but it's updates are not effective.
    >
    > AVG 7.5 is the best option, I have ever found. Download it and then
    > update it, it wiil capture all the viruses. It's free
    >
    > http://www.freewebs.com/xptip/avg.htm

    Thanks for the tip.
    I have just completed a scan with AVG 7.5 and no virus was detected.
    Maybe I have no problem after all as the computer seems to run OK -
    it's just the error message on Norton that makes me think there is a
    problem.

    billandhelen, Mar 30, 2007
  7. billandhelen

    billandhelen Guest

    On 30 Mar, 12:59, "Mike Easter" <> wrote:
    > billandhelen wrote:
    >
    > What does a 'billandhelen' look like? Is that anything like a
    > Brundlefly?

    Not sure what a Brundlefly is, but a billandhelen looks like a cross
    between Andy off Little Britain and Cheryl Tweedy (I am the Andy
    part!)

    > > I think I've picked up a trojan virus that is preventing me from
    > > updating Norton definitions and also preventing me connecting with
    > > Symantec online - particularly the technical support link.

    > Or perhaps your Norton is b0rken.
    >
    > > When I run Norton AV it tells me 'Virus definitions are out of date'
    > > I run 'Live update' and the message 'LU1860 - detects malicious entry
    > > in host files' comes up.

    > You can look at your hosts file if you like.

    I don't know what host files are or what I should do if I found them.

    > > It asks if I want to remove the entries - I click to 'perform action',
    > > then message 'LU1862 - unable to remove' comes up.
    > > I try to click on the hyperlink for 'contact tech support' but it
    > > won't connect.

    > Then your Norton is no good. Get rid of it. If you like it, you can
    > reinstall it and bring it up to date.

    Trouble is that I updated it online so I have no disc to reinstall it.
    I accept your point about getting rid of it but it is annoying that I
    paid for something that I will not be using.

    > > 'Live update' shows 'LU165 - subscription expired' and that I need to
    > > renew to download latest definitions (I renewed my annual subscription
    > > at Xmas).

    > Remove/Uninstall Norton. Consider not reinstalling in favor of another
    > different AV agent. Norton is not superior to other agents which are
    > free. If you like Norton and want to continue using it and paying its
    > annual fee, then reinstall it.
    >
    > > If I click on the hyperlink for 'more information on the error' it
    > > will not connect.

    > B0rken.
    >
    > > I can't contact Symantec for advice as I have no phone number and
    > > can't connect to their site to get help.

    > So, if you click this link below something in your system prevents your
    > accessing the Symantec site?

    Yes - the hyperlink below does not connect

    billandhelen, Mar 30, 2007
  8. billandhelen

    Stickems. Guest

    Some anti virus programs generate error messages to scare their customers
    into taking out/renewing their subscriptions.

    Stickems., Mar 30, 2007
  9. billandhelen

    Aardvark Guest

    On Fri, 30 Mar 2007 15:02:30 +0000, Stickems. wrote:

    > Some anti virus programs generate error messages to scare their customers
    > into taking out/renewing their subscriptions.

    And set their software so that it can't phone home and nobble the user's
    browser?

    Yeah, right.

    --
    Registered Linux User 413057.
    Both Mandriva 2007 and Ubuntu 6.06

    Aardvark, Mar 30, 2007
  10. billandhelen

    Mike Easter Guest

    billandhelen wrote:
    >"Mike Easter"

    >> What does a 'billandhelen' look like? Is that anything like a
    >> Brundlefly?

    > Not sure what a Brundlefly is, but a billandhelen looks like a cross
    > between Andy off Little Britain and Cheryl Tweedy (I am the Andy
    > part!)

    A Brundlefly is the creature^1 from The Fly (1986) of Jeff Goldblum's
    Seth Brundle scientist morphing into a human-fly creature because of a
    telepod accident.

    I tweak people who choose to use a 'couple' persona handle instead of
    each of the two individuals having their own persona/handle. I don't
    believe that bill and helen are now simultaneously reading the screen
    joined at the head and trunk, but instead that I am talking to bill /or/
    helen, but I don't know which.

    >> You can look at your hosts file if you like.

    > I don't know what host files are or what I should do if I found them.

    Some people's system includes a hosts file^2 which is used to facilitate
    or interfere with the system being able to access a particular website.
    The hosts file could be used as part of a 'nefarious' mechanism to
    interfere with your reaching a webpage like
    http://www.symantec.com/home_homeoffice/support/index_ts.jsp

    >> So, if you click this link below something in your system prevents
    >> your accessing the Symantec site?

    > Yes - the hyperlink below does not connect
    >>
    >> http://www.symantec.com/home_homeoffice/support/index_ts.jsp
    >> Technical Issues Support

    You can easily find your hosts file by using the 'Find' function, it
    does not have a filename extension, and it is a plaintext file and you
    can open it and see if the symantec site's address is in there being
    directed to nowhere, which would result in your not being able to access
    the site because the name isn't being resolved correctly.

    ^1 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Fly_(1986_film) The spectacular
    "Brundlefly" makeup effects were given a 1986 Academy Award,

    ^2 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hosts_file When accessing a device by
    name, the networking system will attempt to locate the name within the
    hosts file if it exists.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Mar 30, 2007
  11. billandhelen

    Flirt Guest

    >I think I've picked up a trojan virus that is preventing me from
    > updating Norton definitions and also preventing me connecting with
    > Symantec online - particularly the technical support link.
    >
    > When I run Norton AV it tells me 'Virus definitions are out of date'
    > I run 'Live update' and the message 'LU1860 - detects malicious entry
    > in host files' comes up.
    > It asks if I want to remove the entries - I click to 'perform action',
    > then message 'LU1862 - unable to remove' comes up.
    > I try to click on the hyperlink for 'contact tech support' but it
    > won't connect.
    >
    > 'Live update' shows 'LU165 - subscription expired' and that I need to
    > renew to download latest definitions (I renewed my annual subscription
    > at Xmas).
    > If I click on the hyperlink for 'more information on the error' it
    > will not connect.
    >
    > I can't contact Symantec for advice as I have no phone number and
    > can't connect to their site to get help.
    >
    > Please help.
    >
    > Thanks

    It may have something to do with GMT and time change according to
    the symantec site? Are your clocks set correctly? This could be the
    Host file reference??
    I've accessed the symantec site, there are several and different solutions
    for various Norton AV packages, post the exact version you are running.
    Meanwhile, Just an example, this is for 2006,
    Open your Norton software,
    Click: Help&support > Subscription
    Click: "I have already purchased a subscription, check my subscription
    status"
    Click: Next
    Now what should happen is it should connect to server and check status
    and display a summary.
    If it does that, click: Finish
    The expiration date for the subscription should now be correct.
    If this fails, there is a further link, but differs for each product
    So as example, we will stick with 2006.
    You would have received an email with your Renewal code, and
    you will now need it.
    Check that your version of Nortons is running (System tray icon etc)
    Then Click:
    Start/Settings/Control Panel/Date and Time
    Ensure day/month/year and TIME are correct.
    Click: "Apply", and then "OK".
    Start your Norton product.
    Click: Help&Support/Subscription
    But this time click the option:
    "I have already purchased a subscription and have a renewal code"
    Click: Next
    Complete wizard and re-enter the Renewal code.
    Click: Finish
    Run LiveUpdate

    Flirt, Mar 31, 2007
  12. billandhelen

    Thai Stacy Guest

    "Flirt" <> wrote in message
    > "billandhelen" <> wrote in message
    > >I think I've picked up a trojan virus that is preventing me from
    >> updating Norton definitions and also preventing me connecting with
    >> Symantec online - particularly the technical support link.
    >> When I run Norton AV it tells me 'Virus definitions are out of date'
    >> I run 'Live update' and the message 'LU1860 - detects malicious entry
    >> in host files' comes up.
    >> It asks if I want to remove the entries - I click to 'perform action',
    >> then message 'LU1862 - unable to remove' comes up.
    >> I try to click on the hyperlink for 'contact tech support' but it
    >> won't connect.
    >> 'Live update' shows 'LU165 - subscription expired' and that I need to
    >> renew to download latest definitions (I renewed my annual subscription
    >> at Xmas).
    >> If I click on the hyperlink for 'more information on the error' it
    >> will not connect.
    >> I can't contact Symantec for advice as I have no phone number and
    >> can't connect to their site to get help.
    >> Please help.
    >> Thanks

    A component of liveupdate checks the Hosts file for symantec type entries.
    If Norton AntiVirus was running correctly, it should offer the option to
    either ignore those entries or wipe them. With the subscription expired
    message and all here's what you will need to do. Go to Symantec and get the
    removal tool for your version of Norton AntiVirus, save it to a folder on
    your harddrive. Un-install Norton AntiVirus through Add/Remove Programs in
    the control panel. Run the removal tool. Reboot. Re-Install Norton AntiVirus
    form your install media. Hopefully, that should unbork it.

    Thai Stacy, Mar 31, 2007
  13. billandhelen

    billandhelen Guest

    Dear all
    Many thanks for all the advice.
    Obviously one of you has special powers and tweaked something in my
    computer that allowed me to connect to Symantec Help and Support for
    the first time in weeks.
    Eventually a live chat with them resolved the issue - something to do
    with them not updating their records as to my subscription renewal.
    Anyway - thanks again

    (just starting a new thread for my other problem relating to
    missing .exe files in case you think you're 'ard enough!..)

    billandhelen, Mar 31, 2007