Trojan virus downloader!!

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by °Mike°, Aug 5, 2004.

  1. °Mike°

    °Mike° Guest

    Do not rely on AVG if you want full protection.
    Scan with AT LEAST two online scanners, and
    upgrade to a real antivirus solution.

    Online Antivirus scanners:
    ================
    http://www.kaspersky.com/scanforvirus
    http://www.ravantivirus.com/scan/ [See **** below.]
    http://www.drweb-online.com/en/online_check.asp
    http://www.virusoffice.com/clinic/index.cfm

    **** Caveat:
    http://archives.neohapsis.com/archives/bugtraq/2003-07/0240.html

    Anti-virus programs:
    --------------------
    KAV (Kaspersky)
    http://www.kaspersky.com/

    Sophos
    http://www.sophos.com/products/sav/

    eZ Antivirus (Computer Associates)

    On Thu, 05 Aug 2004 21:16:44 GMT, in
    <0txQc.335$>
    "earl" <yonking.nation@no spamntlworld.com> scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    earl, Aug 5, 2004

  3. Nothing wrong with AVG personal edition! It's protected all my computers for
    years. Only trouble is the updating isn't fully automatic, but you can
    update manually very easliy.

    **SS**

    secret squirrel, Aug 5, 2004
  4. °Mike°

    Si Guest

    Mike

    Ive always trusted your advice over the last year or two.....

    What would you recommend as a 'real antivirus solution'?

    Thanks

    Si

    Si, Aug 5, 2004
  5. °Mike°

    °Mike° Guest

    On Thu, 5 Aug 2004 22:33:47 +0100, in
    <4112a7be$0$7129$>
    secret squirrel scrawled:

    >Nothing wrong with AVG personal edition!

    For a free antivirus, no, but for full system protection
    it is about as good as an ashtray on a motorbike.

    >It's protected all my computers for years.

    Then you've been very lucky not to contract any
    exotic viruses/trojans.

    >Only trouble is the updating isn't fully automatic, but
    >you can update manually very easliy.

    No, the trouble is that AVG is USELESS at detection,
    guesses about the source of possible infections, and
    is next to useless at removal. Sure, it recognises the
    very well known worms, but put it up against anything
    slightly off-track, and that's where the fun begins.

    >**SS**
    >

    >"°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    >> Do not rely on AVG if you want full protection.
    >> Scan with AT LEAST two online scanners, and
    >> upgrade to a real antivirus solution.

    <snip>

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Aug 6, 2004
  6. °Mike°

    °Mike° Guest

    In order of preference:

    KAV (Kaspersky)
    http://www.kaspersky.com/

    Sophos
    http://www.sophos.com/products/sav/

    eZ Antivirus (Computer Associates)

    And please reply to the correct person. You asked a
    question of me, in a reply to "secret squirrel".

    On Thu, 05 Aug 2004 21:52:20 GMT, in
    <o_xQc.86907$>
    Si scrawled:

    °Mike°, Aug 6, 2004
  7. °Mike°

    PuppyKatt Guest

    Tell this to my dad. We bought him a brand new, custom-built computer
    back in February. Said computer came with AVG pre-installed, via the
    Windows XP OEM disk. Less than a week later, we took the thing back,
    and spent almost $200.00 getting the tech people to clean the thing of
    five different viruses, including four variants of Blaster. We had the
    XP firewall activated, and this Blaster Bitch literally demolished AVG.
    Every program on the computer had the AVG icon. Wen we were about to
    leave the shop with the repaired toy, one of the salesmen walked over to
    me, and said "The owner told me to give these to you, and you are to
    install them as soon as you get home." I was handed two McAfee cd's,
    one for dad's new computer and one for mine. (Two different versions
    because of two different mother-boards. Hooked the computer up to
    periphials, double-checked to make sure the technicians did not disable
    XP firewall, installed McAfee, went online, and never looked back. BTW,
    no matter how hard we try, there is no way we are able to clean these
    computers of AVG, so we disable it. We figure it is because it is
    imbedded into windows via the OEM disk, but we don't give a shit, as
    long as it stays turned off.

    : Nothing wrong with AVG personal edition! It's protected all my
    computers for
    : years. Only trouble is the updating isn't fully automatic, but you can
    : update manually very easliy.
    :
    : **SS**
    :
    :
    : "°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    : news:...
    : > Do not rely on AVG if you want full protection.
    : > Scan with AT LEAST two online scanners, and
    : > upgrade to a real antivirus solution.
    : >
    : > Online Antivirus scanners:
    : > ================
[...]
    : > --------------------
[...]