    the offending program??

    Thanks in anticipation of an intelligent response.

    Tim

    Tim Elliott, Feb 3, 2004

  2. Tim Elliott

    Harrison Guest

    You can safely delete the entire contents of the prefetch folder, and
    actually should from time to time.

    You need to run a full scan after updating your antivirus software,
    and also install spyware and adware scanners to remove more
    troublesome nasties that aren't picked up by Norton.

    Harrison, Feb 3, 2004

  3. Tim Elliott

    °Mike° Guest

    The items in the prefetch folder are safe to delete.

    On Tue, 3 Feb 2004 23:00:34 -0000, in
    <bvp96k$oj9$>
    Tim Elliott scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Feb 3, 2004
  4. Tim Elliott

    Boomer Guest

    "Tim Elliott" <> wrote in

    > I have recently managed to regain control of my PC from a virus
    > that attacked it back in September 2003. This is despite losing
    > access to the setup and live update functions within Norton
    > Internet Security and Anti Virus.
    > Once I deleted a 'mypic.jpg.exe' file from c:/windows/system32/
    > the Norton package kicked back into life and identified four other
    > files containing a trojan virus all named the same 'Belt.exe'
    > Norton repaired and deleted 3 of them but could only quarantine
    > the 4th. This file 'BELT.EXE-2DA5E054.pf' is sat in
    > c:/windows/prefetch/ Can someone let me know the purpose of this
    > file and if its safe to delete? I also have in the same directory
    > a file 'XXXMPEG.EXE-1A45BF66.pf' I keep having windows pop up
    > asking if I want to download a porn dialler is this the offending
    > program??
    >
    > Thanks in anticipation of an intelligent response.
    >
    > Tim

    Install, at least, the first three.
    Keep updated and use often. :)

    Ad-aware (Aims at Adware/Spyware.)
    http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

    SpybotSD Aims for the dialers, trojans,
    hijackers and security/privacy issues.
    http://www.safer-networking.org/

    Spyware Blaster

    http://vipmeister.com/dl/aspy/aspy.html

    StartupList, HijackThis and CoolWebShredder
    http://www.merijn.org/files/hijackthis.zip
    http://www.merijn.org/htlogtutorial.html

    Info on above and more.

    Parasites: Cookies, Dialers, Keyloggers, Trackers
    http://www.generation.net/~hleboeuf/bhoindex.htm

    ~ Spyware Information ~
    http://www.cexx.org/adware.htm

    ~Unsolicited commercial software list and info~
    http://www.doxdesk.com/parasite/

    ~Other software~
    http://www.wilders.org/

    Newsgroup: alt.privacy.spyware

    Also serach Google and Googles archive for more information.

    Top 10 Tips to Keep Your Computer Virus-Free
    http://www.symantec.com/homecomputing/library/topten.html

    Boomer, Feb 3, 2004
  5. Tim Elliott

    Sultan Guest

    Tim Elliott wrote in news:bvp96k$oj9$:

    > I have recently managed to regain control of my PC from a virus that
    > attacked it back in September 2003. This is despite losing access to
    > the setup and live update functions within Norton Internet Security
    > and Anti Virus.
    > Once I deleted a 'mypic.jpg.exe' file from c:/windows/system32/ the
    > Norton package kicked back into life and identified four other files
    > containing a trojan virus all named the same 'Belt.exe' Norton
    > repaired and deleted 3 of them but could only quarantine the 4th.
    > This file 'BELT.EXE-2DA5E054.pf' is sat in c:/windows/prefetch/
    > Can someone let me know the purpose of this file and if its safe to
    > delete? I also have in the same directory a file
    > 'XXXMPEG.EXE-1A45BF66.pf' I keep having windows pop up asking if I
    > want to download a porn dialler is this the offending program??
    >
    > Thanks in anticipation of an intelligent response.
    >
    > Tim

    Tim, you would be best off to wipe your drive and do a complete reinstall
    to make sure your rid of all the nasties that have taken up residence and
    invited their friends over. Five months is a long time to let uninvited
    guests stay on your pc.
    Just make sure you back up all your data files and do a thorough virus scan
    on the backup media before you reintroduce it back to your PC.

    Sultan

    Sultan, Feb 4, 2004