Trojan.StartPage

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by XPD, Jul 6, 2005.

  1. XPD

    XPD Guest

    Has anyone come across this virus/trojan before, and if yes, how did you
    remove it in the end ?

    Scan type: Realtime Protection Scan
    Event: Virus Found!
    Virus name: Trojan.StartPage
    File: C:\WINDOWS\windows.dat
    Location: C:\WINDOWS
    Computer: SN2523677014
    User: jason
    Action taken: Clean failed : Quarantine failed : Access denied
    Date found: Mon Jul 04 14:11:16 2005

    Nortons gives the above info.... AVG dosent find it (yet found other viruses
    that Nortons missed) and TrendMicros online Housecall didnt pick up anything
    at all.
    Ive run "TheCleaner" and that cant find anything either.........

    Basically what Id like to know, is this file actually a legit Windows system
    file or not ? If no, then Ill just try deleting it (although all attempts to
    do anything else with it have been thwarted) I suspect it isnt but want to
    confirm before going ahead with killing it off...........

    Had a search on Google and this did not offer any useful advice/info.
    XPD, Jul 6, 2005

  2. XPD

    Krazy Bob Guest

    I use avast anti virus....its like avg (free) and what ever it can't delete
    or move due to access isssues gives you the option of removing and or
    deleting at next start up.
    :)

    Krazy Bob, Jul 7, 2005

  3. XPD

    Geoff M Guest

    On Thu, 7 Jul 2005 09:13:57 +1200, XPD wrote:

    > Has anyone come across this virus/trojan before, and if yes, how did you
    > remove it in the end ?
    >
    > Scan type: Realtime Protection Scan
    > Event: Virus Found!
    > Virus name: Trojan.StartPage
    > File: C:\WINDOWS\windows.dat
    > Location: C:\WINDOWS
    > Computer: SN2523677014
    > User: jason
    > Action taken: Clean failed : Quarantine failed : Access denied
    > Date found: Mon Jul 04 14:11:16 2005
    >
    > Nortons gives the above info.... AVG dosent find it (yet found other viruses
    > that Nortons missed) and TrendMicros online Housecall didnt pick up anything
    > at all.
    > Ive run "TheCleaner" and that cant find anything either.........
    >
    > Basically what Id like to know, is this file actually a legit Windows system
    > file or not ? If no, then Ill just try deleting it (although all attempts to
    > do anything else with it have been thwarted) I suspect it isnt but want to
    > confirm before going ahead with killing it off...........
    >
    > Had a search on Google and this did not offer any useful advice/info.

    Have you tried AntiVir? I think it picked this one up in a file I
    downloaded and checked.Try it and see - it's free and works well.
    Geoff
    Geoff M, Jul 7, 2005
  4. XPD

    Invisible Guest

    On Thu, 7 Jul 2005 09:13:57 +1200, "XPD" <> wrote:

    >Basically what Id like to know, is this file actually a legit Windows system
    >file or not ? If no, then Ill just try deleting it (although all attempts to
    >do anything else with it have been thwarted) I suspect it isnt but want to
    >confirm before going ahead with killing it off...........

    It's not in my XP pro directory. You could probably rename it in safe mode, if
    anything spits the dummy rename it back.
    Invisible, Jul 7, 2005