    that the setup program was encrypted, so you don't see the virus signature on a
    scan of the disk - only when you unpack the contents. Thought that such a
    magazine might actually try out the stuff that they put on their cover disks.

    frederick, Sep 13, 2004

  2. In article <1095050333.694617@ftpsrv1> in nz.comp on Mon, 13 Sep 2004
    16:38:00 +1200, frederick <> says...
    > My son just tried installing a game from the latest Australian PC User cover
    > disk.
    >
    > Could be a false alarm, but my H&BEDV virus checker picked up a trojan in the
    > game "Worm Wars IV". It looks like this game is loaded with other (disclosed)
    > spyware, and isn't something I'd want on this machine anyway. My virus checker
    > prevented it (the entire game) from installing.
    >
    > Trojan is descibed as "TR/Drop.Small.GT.1" - I haven't found other reference to
    > what it actually is via google - just a few others who have found that the game
    > is full of nasties. It *might* be aka backdoor.prorat.
    >
    > Good work Australian PC User - first time I've seen that for a while. Guess
    > that the setup program was encrypted, so you don't see the virus signature on a
    > scan of the disk - only when you unpack the contents. Thought that such a
    > magazine might actually try out the stuff that they put on their cover disks.

    They probably do. In fact some of the PC User disks that I have here
    state quite clearly "bundled with scumware" and similar in the web pages
    that describe the disk contents.

    Try letting the disk autorun then select the appropriate page and
    thoroughly read the description of the software item you are looking at.

    Patrick Dunford, Sep 13, 2004

  3. frederick

    Patrick Bold Guest

    "Patrick Dunford" <> wrote in message
    > In article <1095050333.694617@ftpsrv1> in nz.comp on Mon, 13 Sep 2004
    > 16:38:00 +1200, frederick <> says...
    >> My son just tried installing a game from the latest Australian PC
    >> User cover
    >> disk.
    >>
    >> Could be a false alarm, but my H&BEDV virus checker picked up a
    >> trojan in the
    >> game "Worm Wars IV". It looks like this game is loaded with other
    >> (disclosed)
    >> spyware, and isn't something I'd want on this machine anyway. My
    >> virus checker
    >> prevented it (the entire game) from installing.
    >>
    >> Trojan is descibed as "TR/Drop.Small.GT.1" - I haven't found other
    >> reference to
    >> what it actually is via google - just a few others who have found
    >> that the game
    >> is full of nasties. It *might* be aka backdoor.prorat.
    >>
    >> Good work Australian PC User - first time I've seen that for a while.
    >> Guess
    >> that the setup program was encrypted, so you don't see the virus
    >> signature on a
    >> scan of the disk - only when you unpack the contents. Thought that
    >> such a
    >> magazine might actually try out the stuff that they put on their
    >> cover disks.

    > They probably do. In fact some of the PC User disks that I have here
    > state quite clearly "bundled with scumware" and similar in the web
    > pages
    > that describe the disk contents.
    >
    > Try letting the disk autorun then select the appropriate page and
    > thoroughly read the description of the software item you are looking
    > at.

    Yes. And never do a default install of anything. There are many good
    programs around that for are bundled with "options" you don't want --
    spyware as well as sheer bloat. Select only what you have a good reason
    to believe you need. I'm not saying it's your fault that you ended up
    with a trojan -- PC User should really aspire to a better standard if it
    knowingly packages "scumware" -- but there are some precautions you can
    take.

    Patrick Bold, Sep 13, 2004
  4. frederick

    frederick Guest

    "Patrick Bold" <> wrote in message
    > "Patrick Dunford" <> wrote in message
    >> In article <1095050333.694617@ftpsrv1> in nz.comp on Mon, 13 Sep 2004
    >> 16:38:00 +1200, frederick <> says...
    >>> My son just tried installing a game from the latest Australian PC User cover
    >>> disk.
    >>>
    >>> Could be a false alarm, but my H&BEDV virus checker picked up a trojan in
    >>> the
    >>> game "Worm Wars IV". It looks like this game is loaded with other
    >>> (disclosed)
    >>> spyware, and isn't something I'd want on this machine anyway. My virus
    >>> checker
    >>> prevented it (the entire game) from installing.
    >>>
    >>> Trojan is descibed as "TR/Drop.Small.GT.1" - I haven't found other reference
    >>> what it actually is via google - just a few others who have found that the
    >>> game
    >>> is full of nasties. It *might* be aka backdoor.prorat.
    >>>
    >>> Good work Australian PC User - first time I've seen that for a while. Guess
    >>> that the setup program was encrypted, so you don't see the virus signature
    >>> on a
    >>> scan of the disk - only when you unpack the contents. Thought that such a
    >>> magazine might actually try out the stuff that they put on their cover
    >>> disks.

    >> They probably do. In fact some of the PC User disks that I have here
    >> state quite clearly "bundled with scumware" and similar in the web pages
    >> that describe the disk contents.
    >>
    >> Try letting the disk autorun then select the appropriate page and
    >> thoroughly read the description of the software item you are looking at.

    > Yes. And never do a default install of anything. There are many good programs
    > around that for are bundled with "options" you don't want -- spyware as well
    > as sheer bloat. Select only what you have a good reason to believe you need.
    > I'm not saying it's your fault that you ended up with a trojan -- PC User
    > should really aspire to a better standard if it knowingly packages
    > "scumware" -- but there are some precautions you can take.

    I expect that much of the demo/shareware on these disks will probably come with
    adware / spyware - if it isn't a time limited demo. I don't expect that
    something offered as a "full version" should include such scumware. Anyway - no
    damage caused - it was detected and blocked before it installed. The AV picked
    it up when it was unpacked as a .tmp file - it never got to execute. There is a
    firewall, anti virus, SP2, and regular scans with Ad-Aware and Spybot S&D on
    this machine.

    There are no warnings or details on the PC User disk about this program - apart
    from the usual generic disclaimers.
    There are warnings about information collection in the "read me" in the infected
    program's installer:

    "AT-Games.com collects personal information about you and your computer only
    with your consent"
    (the above gem after screeds of information about what they *don't do* without
    your consent)

    "You must accept the terms of this agreement before continuing with the
    installation"

    Yes - PC User should really aspire to a better standard - especially when this
    edition (Sept 04) has the headline cover story "Safe & Sound - Can you protect
    your privacy and data against all of today's threats".

    frederick, Sep 13, 2004
  5. frederick

    GraB Guest

    wrote:

    >My son just tried installing a game from the latest Australian PC User cover
    >disk.
    >
    >Could be a false alarm, but my H&BEDV virus checker picked up a trojan in the
    >game "Worm Wars IV". It looks like this game is loaded with other (disclosed)
    >spyware, and isn't something I'd want on this machine anyway. My virus checker
    >prevented it (the entire game) from installing.
    >
    >Trojan is descibed as "TR/Drop.Small.GT.1" - I haven't found other reference to
    >what it actually is via google - just a few others who have found that the game
    >is full of nasties. It *might* be aka backdoor.prorat.
    >
    >Good work Australian PC User - first time I've seen that for a while. Guess
    >that the setup program was encrypted, so you don't see the virus signature on a
    >scan of the disk - only when you unpack the contents. Thought that such a
    >magazine might actually try out the stuff that they put on their cover disks.

    Googled for that trojan and found a user review of another game,
    claiming the same trojan was detected during install:
    http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/1090936463/1

    GraB, Sep 13, 2004
  6. frederick

    GraB Guest

    http://www.freewarefiles.com/review.php?categoryid=1&subcategoryid=8&programid=9734&action=review

    GraB, Sep 13, 2004
  7. frederick

    GraB Guest

    Re: Trojan on PC User disk? Its a bit off

    wrote:

    >My son just tried installing a game from the latest Australian PC User cover
    >disk.
    >
    >Could be a false alarm, but my H&BEDV virus checker picked up a trojan in the
    >game "Worm Wars IV". It looks like this game is loaded with other (disclosed)
    >spyware, and isn't something I'd want on this machine anyway. My virus checker
    >prevented it (the entire game) from installing.
    >
    >Trojan is descibed as "TR/Drop.Small.GT.1" - I haven't found other reference to
    >what it actually is via google - just a few others who have found that the game
    >is full of nasties. It *might* be aka backdoor.prorat.
    >
    >Good work Australian PC User - first time I've seen that for a while. Guess
    >that the setup program was encrypted, so you don't see the virus signature on a
    >scan of the disk - only when you unpack the contents. Thought that such a
    >magazine might actually try out the stuff that they put on their cover disks.

    I downloaded WW4 from a freeware site, installed it with AShampoo
    Uninstaller, fully monitored, and Dropper.Small.5.J was found. AVG6
    moved it to the Virus Vault and AShampoo then fully removed WW4.

    Get this! This comes up in the installation:

    Thank you for downloading Worm Wars IV. Worm Wars IV contains no
    deliberately malicious or destructive code that will harm your
    computer, however Crystal Studios/Colej_uk games cannot take
    responsibility to any accidental damages caused.

    Worm Wars IV is distributed as freeware only.
    ---For more updates: www.colejuk.tk ---

    GraB, Sep 13, 2004
  8. frederick

    On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 22:03:12 +1200, GraB <> wrote:

    >On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 16:38:00 +1200, "frederick" <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>My son just tried installing a game from the latest Australian PC User cover
    >>disk.
    >>
    >>Could be a false alarm, but my H&BEDV virus checker picked up a trojan in the
    >>game "Worm Wars IV". It looks like this game is loaded with other (disclosed)
    >>spyware, and isn't something I'd want on this machine anyway. My virus checker
    >>prevented it (the entire game) from installing.
    >>
    >>Trojan is descibed as "TR/Drop.Small.GT.1" - I haven't found other reference to
    >>what it actually is via google - just a few others who have found that the game
    >>is full of nasties. It *might* be aka backdoor.prorat.
    >>
    >>Good work Australian PC User - first time I've seen that for a while. Guess
    >>that the setup program was encrypted, so you don't see the virus signature on a
    >>scan of the disk - only when you unpack the contents. Thought that such a
    >>magazine might actually try out the stuff that they put on their cover disks.

    >I downloaded WW4 from a freeware site, installed it with AShampoo
    >Uninstaller, fully monitored, and Dropper.Small.5.J was found. AVG6
    >moved it to the Virus Vault and AShampoo then fully removed WW4.
    >
    >Get this! This comes up in the installation:
    >
    >Thank you for downloading Worm Wars IV. Worm Wars IV contains no
    >deliberately malicious or destructive code that will harm your
    >computer, however Crystal Studios/Colej_uk games cannot take
    >responsibility to any accidental damages caused.
    >
    >Worm Wars IV is distributed as freeware only.
    >---For more updates: www.colejuk.tk ---

    Just went to the weblink, got this message:

    Users.QuickFox.org websites are temporarily unavailable.

    Reason: Hardware maintence required.

    GraB, Sep 13, 2004
  9. frederick

    frederick Guest

    "GraB" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 22:03:12 +1200, GraB <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 16:38:00 +1200, "frederick" <>
    >>wrote:
    >>
    >>>My son just tried installing a game from the latest Australian PC User cover
    >>>disk.
    >>>
    >>>Could be a false alarm, but my H&BEDV virus checker picked up a trojan in the
    >>>game "Worm Wars IV". It looks like this game is loaded with other
    >>>(disclosed)
    >>>spyware, and isn't something I'd want on this machine anyway. My virus
    >>>checker
    >>>prevented it (the entire game) from installing.
    >>>
    >>>Trojan is descibed as "TR/Drop.Small.GT.1" - I haven't found other reference
    >>>what it actually is via google - just a few others who have found that the
    >>>game
    >>>is full of nasties. It *might* be aka backdoor.prorat.
    >>>
    >>>Good work Australian PC User - first time I've seen that for a while. Guess
    >>>that the setup program was encrypted, so you don't see the virus signature on
    >>>scan of the disk - only when you unpack the contents. Thought that such a
    >>>magazine might actually try out the stuff that they put on their cover disks.

    >>I downloaded WW4 from a freeware site, installed it with AShampoo
    >>Uninstaller, fully monitored, and Dropper.Small.5.J was found. AVG6
    >>moved it to the Virus Vault and AShampoo then fully removed WW4.
    >>
    >>Get this! This comes up in the installation:
    >>
    >>Thank you for downloading Worm Wars IV. Worm Wars IV contains no
    >>deliberately malicious or destructive code that will harm your
    >>computer, however Crystal Studios/Colej_uk games cannot take
    >>responsibility to any accidental damages caused.
    >>
    >>Worm Wars IV is distributed as freeware only.
    >>---For more updates: www.colejuk.tk ---

    > Just went to the weblink, got this message:
    >
    > Users.QuickFox.org websites are temporarily unavailable.
    >
    > Reason: Hardware maintence required.

    Must be a big job - the site is still down. What a shame.
    :)

    frederick, Sep 13, 2004